Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5ft 4"

Default 10lbs gained in 3 weeks- Cannot start the year like this!

So somewhere over the last three weeks I seemed to have gained 12 lbs. The one difference is that I have been drinking much more real fruit juices and not counting the calories on them- my body felt like I needed more fruits and since I do not eat much fruits (not liking them), it was a good way to take it in a juice. Unfortunately I was on vacation and while the juices were not sweet I do not know how much added sugar went into the juices. But seriously, is 5 days of 2 glasses a juice a day is enough to cause such weight gain?

I do have a connective tissue illness and have been having a tight/ heavy left leg. I am wondering if that can possibly be part of the 10lbs that the scale is reflecting because not even at my heaviest and most horrible time of eating anything and everything have I ever put on 10lbs in less than a month. My only solace thus far is that I am just about holding in my current size but I just spent money buying new clothes and cannot afford to outgrow them (although I do have plenty of my old 8 and 10's and 12's still in my closet)

I cannot start the new year down about this, I just need to lose whether weight, or water or combination of both. Any ideas on reducing fluid retention?
kimmieval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I gained 14 pounds in 17 days and I wasn't binging. Eating bigger than normally yes, but not pig out fest. A lot of thwtbgian and mine was simply from eating differently.

For what it is worth, fruit juice isn't really good for you unless it is freshly squeezed and even then you are takingnoutnsome of the best parts of it for your health. I don't think it made you gain all that weight, but it's not a good substitute for fresh fruit.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #3  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I'm guessing the majority of your weight gain is attributed to water weight. And, ironically, the best way to get rid of it is to drink a lot of water. If your body is deprived of water or it is using what you give it to stay hydrated (are you working out?) it will hold onto whatever it has. So if it is being fed water it won't be afraid of letting go. Hope that makes sense!

And unfortantely I agree with BerryBlondeBoys. Juice, unless I squeeze it myself, remains on my forbidden drink list. And I LOVE juice! And I'm too lazy to squeeze my own. Besides, the sugar that is in it makes me crave carbs and more sugar.

Last edited by ShanIAm; 01-02-2012 at 01:44 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I wouldn't be surprised if most of that is fluid retention, especially since you said you can still fit into your clothes. At your size 10+lbs is enough to move into another size.

lots of water reduces fluid retention, as ShanIAm said. Don't be surprised if you're running to the bathroom to pee it all out as a result!

Fruit juices are also something I don't drink because I consider any drink with calories to be empty calories. You're much better off eating the actual fruit because that will at least help you feel full!

Last edited by sontaikle; 01-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Oh yikes, stay away from any fruit juice you didn't juice yourself. It is total junk and does crazy things to your appetite and blood sugar. It is NO substitute for the real thing and your body isn't fooled - you'd be better off eating a snickers bar than downing two glasses of juice - at least that has some fat and protein to slow the insulin spike!

Eat real food, with a fair bit of fat and protein, within your calorie window for maintaining the weight you want, and the additional pounds you put on should come back off. Sugar and starches are NOT the way to control either the scale or your appetite, sweetie!

I wish you the very best in getting those pounds off
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #6  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

12 oz. of apple juice contains roughly 200 calories. Orange about 170. 12 oz. is the size of a can of soda - so how much were you drinking?

Could you have potentially drank 400 calories a day? You didn't count these calories, so did you count your other calories and not realize you added potentially 400 daily calories, loaded with sugar?

Mathematically, you most likely aren't experiencing a true gain. Most likely water retainage or something hormonal. But, lets not discount the fact that commercial juice is a red flag. Not only is it too much concentrated sugar, anyone who juices knows how many fruits it takes to make a glass of juice. When you remove the pulp and the skin, "drinking" your fruit naturally caused you to take in higher calories because it takes so much fruit to make the juice.

Also, its as if it has been pre-digested or you. There is no chewing involved, the fiber has been removed or depleted so your body doesn't have to break that down, and the skin is gone. Same idea.

Physicians in the past 20 years have recommended cutting with water the juice we give to infants because of a) the sugar and b) teeth rotting.

I'm sorry for your troubles also. I don't understand your statement that your body felt like it needed more fruit. Were you wanting something sweet? If you don't like fresh fruit, perhaps try some dried figs or prunes. The lemon essence and orange essence prunes by Sunsweet are delicious!

I'm sure after you cut out the juice and drink lots of water and get back to basics this will pass. Good luck.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #7  

@124chicksinger...I am not the biggest fruit fan, but every now and again I feel for fruit, so I sometimes blend fruit drinks to satisfy my fruit cravings.

I do realize I am going to the bathroom quite often so I am hoping that some of the weight is water weight and will quickly dissipate. As @berryblondeboys note, eating differently might have been it. I was on vacation with the SO in Negril and had to eat out, so God only knows the "real" calorie content of the food.

My SO also asked me to marry him and my mom said this evening that contentment can make someone gain weight...is this so, or just an old wives tale?
Old 01-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 320/231/200

Height: 5' 6"

You are not alone. I picked up 15 lbs during the Holidays. A lot of that came from eating too many fruits. I did not drink juice but I went overboard on fresh fruits mentally lying to myself that this was healthy eating.

If you absolutely have to drink juice, Ocean Spray has some 5 calorie "Juice ?"
Obviously they have removed the sugar and I don't believe that I want to know how. Can you spell "Chemistry"?

Yes fruit is a trigger food for me so I must limit it or suffer the consequence.

Larry,
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #9  

MY SO is wanting to lose weight and because he eats anything I guess that part of the problem might have been that even though I kept portions sizes down, I was not as vigilant as I could have been. The good news is that I am dropping the water weight- down 2lbs already