Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #1  
Grace

S/C/G: 188/Ticker/154

Height: 5'9

Default Weight fluctuation woes with weekly weighing

So I weigh in weekly and today I was 3 lbs up from last week - I know I had an off plan weekend but my binging has stopped almost completely so I didn't think I overate THAT much! I am only aiming for 1lb lost a week, eating 1900 calories a day and slacking on the exercise, but in previous weeks this has still worked pretty well for me, 6.3 lbs in 4 weeks!

I guess I just need reassurance that this week could have been up for any reason, not because I'm gaining weight (I have had to tighten my belt buckle up a notch in the last week or so!).

Does anyone have any input about the weekly vs daily weighing, I'm starting to think daily may be the way for me and calculating the weeks average instead...
Blondie160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #2  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

The scale is not a perfect tool.
Click here to read a 3FC thread about scale fluctuationshttp://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...er-weight.html

Some people measure inches as an additional tool.

I didn't lose any weight last week, actually was up .8 pounds. But this week I had a four pound loss.

Are you tracking your calories or just estimating? I set a weight loss goal of two pounds a week on livestrong.com/myplate. My daily calorie goal is 1472. I try not to eat back my exercise calories, as I've read how inaccurate the calories burned estimators are.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 260

Height: 6'4"

Default Bad Week is the Past

A week not in the box can put a few pounds on as we are not always aware of how many calories we are consuming. Now to the good news, this is not the end of the world. You can loose that easily by making a plan, getting in some PA, staying out of the gap, eating high volume, low calorie foods. The holidays are coming so buckle down.
AndrewCribbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #4  
Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelm View Post
The scale is not a perfect tool.
Click here to read a 3FC thread about scale fluctuationshttp://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...er-weight.html

Some people measure inches as an additional tool.

I didn't lose any weight last week, actually was up .8 pounds. But this week I had a four pound loss.

Are you tracking your calories or just estimating? I set a weight loss goal of two pounds a week on livestrong.com/myplate. My daily calorie goal is 1472. I try not to eat back my exercise calories, as I've read how inaccurate the calories burned estimators are.

Thanks for the reassurance, I am a bit of a calorie cycler, so saying I eat 1900 is not necessarily true, some days it can be 1400 some it can be 2000 but I track them, don't just estimate! I dont really like the idea of inches, only because I can have a 2" variation depending on how tightly I pull the tape lol.

Your fluctuation you mentioned though is reassuring to me that I can still hit my target next week if I keep on at it (maybe slack less on the exercise!)
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #5  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

a couple of weeks ago, I had a gain of 3.6 lbs. I was on plan (one tiny cheat but most of the weight gain happened before that anyway).

I hung in there and have lost not only the 3.6 mystery pounds but several more - I am actually down almost 12 lbs from that high, which was not even 3 weeks ago.

So yes, you can definitely have unexplained gains on the scale but if you are staying on plan, then eventually, the scale should catch up with you.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 AM   #6  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

I can attest to fluctuations! One week I was up 2, the next down 1, and the following week down 5 more. The first two weeks were SUPER frustrating, but I stuck to my plan and look what happened the third week!

Unfortunately our bodies do not come with a suggestion box where we can suggest how many pounds we'd like to lose this week...sure would be nice if it did!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Try daily weighing then, that way you can look at the overall pattern rather than fixating on individual days. Since you're a calorie cycler, why not use something that shows the graphs for your calorie consumption and your weight on the same page, which will make it easier to see when you need to adjust? The weight tracker at Medhelp does this (mine's in my signature if you want to see what I mean), and I think Fitday might as well. Probably quite a few other types of software will too.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I weigh more the week before and of my period. Most women gain anywhere from 3-10lbs in water weight due to hormonal changes.

I typically see a woosh 3-4 days after my period is completely over with.

This could be why you saw an increase on the scale.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #9  

Since you can't stand the variance in weekly weighing, I doubt you could do daily. 1900 calories is too many for someone your current weight.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

I weigh daily because I'm someone whose weight fluctuates wildly over the course of a few days. Weighing every day gives me the reassurance that the bouncing is a "normal" part of my weight loss cycle and also allows me to better track the things that cause a bounce in the scale.

Whether you weigh daily or weekly, it's important to remember that the scale isn't always the most accurate assessment of your progress.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #11  
Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Since you can't stand the variance in weekly weighing, I doubt you could do daily. 1900 calories is too many for someone your current weight.
I dont think its fair to say its 'too many' without justifying why. Its not too many because my clothes are getting too big and my weight is going down between the fluctuations. I have calculated my BMR and 1900 is a healthy amount to lose weight slowly and clearly its working.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/134/118

Height: 5'3

Blondie, it could be a number of things, you could have had too much sodium, could be coming up for TOM, anything. Don't stress it and just continue with your plan. And don't listen to anyone who says 1900 calories is too much, if it's working for you keep it up until you hit a plateau and then move down, but if it's working keep it there. Good luck on your next weigh in !
Caleighsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote