Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #31  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
"It's normal for women to put on weight like that as they get older" - said by a doctor, sadly.
Ah yes, this one too. When I get rid of this water bloat (an antibiotic I'm taking has made me gain about 8-9 pounds of water weight in 5 days), I'll be in the 170s. I haven't been in the 170s since I was in high school AND because I'm more fit now, I'm smaller than I was in high school everywhere except the waist.

My mother in law who is a doctor says for herself, "ah, it's my birth certificate". Yes, it is if you don't eat right and don't exercise. But it doesn't have to be that way!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #32  

You can go from the couch to running three miles in ten weeks without injury. And you will run those three miles in about 30-31 minutes.

Part the first is not true for most previously inactive people, particularly previously inactive overweight people. Part the second is not true for most not-previously-a-runner women. But hey, a website says it so it's true.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 10-18-2011 at 11:19 AM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #33  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
You have to clean your plate "Think of all the starving kids in China"

Larry,
I LOVE this Larry!! I still feel obligated to "scrape" my plate but resist daily!
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #34  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
You can go from the couch to running three miles in ten weeks without injury. And you will run those three miles in about 30-31 minutes.

Part the first is not true for most previously inactive people, particularly previously inactive overweight people. Part the second is not true for most not-previously-a-runner women. But hey, a website says it so it's true.
True! OR you can be a former run and have bad knees and not be able to run at all at the moment.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:47 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

I just misread that as "former nun" and was deeply confused for a minute.

The classic response to "think of all the starving children in Africa" was "so give it to them", as I recall.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #36  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esofia View Post
I just misread that as "former nun" and was deeply confused for a minute.

Oh, my, that certainly would've made my life more interesting! I have a feeling if I were to have been a nun, it wouldn't have ended well.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #37  
Made of Starstuff

The biggest lie that I was ever told was not really a lie and was not really something that I was ever told. ... If that makes sense.

That was my perception of diets.

My sister would go on diets. Ever since I was little. I am 7 years younger than her, so at 7 years old... and her at 14 worrying about her weight. Or at 12 years old and her at 19 going on all kinds of diets.

This is what I saw around me, and this is what I assumed. Diets were painfully annoying. You had to take lots of pills (herbal pills ). You had to talk about how annoying they were all the time. You had to eat only a small bit of food, and point out when anyone else ate more than you. While on the diet you could NEVER eat any sort of junk food. Not even a single serving. You had to be hungry all the time. It was all or nothing. You were either being "good" on your diet or you were being "bad" on your diet. Or you weren't on a diet at all!

It wasn't just my sister, though (and I certainly never blame her for those things, it's all she knew) even as I grew older I ran into women who would talk about only eating dressingless salads. Or how their excuse for not eating something was "I'm on a diet". And yet the very next week they'd talk about how they got sick of it so they just quit.

It's honestly no wonder I never tried to "go on a diet", because they sound torturous. Never eating a sweet? Never enjoying my favorite foods? Ugh! I might as well die fat if that's the life of a diet. Because I still laugh at that saying "nothing tastes as good as thin feels". There are plenty of damn good tasting foods out there that I never want to give up.

As I got older, (and got fatter), I realized I didn't know a gosh darned thing about healthier eating. I knew a lot about "dieting", but not healthy eating.

Thankfully I joined WW and learned what the heck moderation -ACTUALLY- meant (to me). That I didn't have to be "on a diet". That I could refuse that cake... or I could decide to have a piece, but I didn't need to give an excuse about it. That I wasn't good or bad for my choices. That some choices are just healthier than others. That paying attention, and learning balance is the most important thing.

And thankfully as well I found 3FC, where it's reinforced that finding your own balance and never giving up are top priorities.

Without those things, I might still be of the mind that the only way to lose weight is to pick the latest diet and torture myself.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #38  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

One that's biting me in the butt right now (even though I knew better - and recognized the lie, I was persuaded by it anyway):

That exercise is supposed to be painful, and pushing past the point of pain is "good for you."

I hurt myself pretty badly on Sunday because I focused on what I wanted to be able to do - not on what I physically could do without hurting myself.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-18-2011 at 02:54 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

The biggest lies I've been told were the ones that I told myself...

I can't get control over my eating habits.

I have no willpower. It's so not about willpower for me.

I'll never lose weight. I'll be a size 26+ forever. There's no way I can stick with this.

I hate exercise. It's boring.

I'm not athletic, I could never run or enjoy running.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #40  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

The simple truth: Diet + Exercise = weight loss

Uh, yeah, if it were truly THAT EASY, we'd all be thin. But it took me a long, long, long, long, long, long, long time to realize that SIMPLE and EASY are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

The biggest lie I have been told is that if you are morbidly obese, that it is IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight without 1) surgery and/or 2) a personal trainer and chef.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

The typical "Men don't like fat girls" thing. Funny when is, when I was 19 years old and 165lbs I had guys all over me, asking me out, etc! More so than when I was 129 pounds!! Infact, I don't even think guys looked at me when I was 129 pounds LOL
And I've never been thin. My weight was fluctuated my whole life but I met my husband at 158lbs and I think that's "obsese" for my height. And my husband is a slim, fit guy.
So yep, that's the big lie I was always told. For years I believed it though. Shame.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #43  
Run, run, run!

S/C/G: 204/160/???

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunSize View Post
The typical "Men don't like fat girls" thing. Funny when is, when I was 19 years old and 165lbs I had guys all over me, asking me out, etc! More so than when I was 129 pounds!! Infact, I don't even think guys looked at me when I was 129 pounds LOL
And I've never been thin. My weight was fluctuated my whole life but I met my husband at 158lbs and I think that's "obsese" for my height. And my husband is a slim, fit guy.
So yep, that's the big lie I was always told. For years I believed it though. Shame.
I'd sure like to see something in my life that makes this a lie. It's the truth for me, and I've had lots of men tell me the same thing. I'm not even going to try dating again until I'm under 130lbs.
PrairieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 216/180.6/160

Height: 5'8"

I told myself, "Weight loss doesn't work on my body." and "I'm not fat."

Both tremendous lies.
Cali Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #45  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

I love this thread, berryblondeboys! I don't have any lies of my own to contribute but I'm loving the responses so far.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote