Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

Default Yo-yo dieting and skinny fat

So, for the first time in my life, I'm really seeing how the yo-yoing since I was 15 or so (highest ever weight: 230's, lowest ever: 120's) has left me skinny-fat. I would lose 10lbs in 2 weeks (muscle), followed by a 12 lbs gain in a month (pure fat). And I would do this often.

I'm a regular exerciser now, doing running, yoga, walking, and weight training - but I seriously feel like I'm just trying to replenish basic muscle that most everyone else takes for granted.

Anyone else feel this way?
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/184/145

Height: 5'8"

Absolutely. Yoyoing since 18 (the dreaded student 10 lbs.... eh 30 lbs). Went up and down (sometimes downer...) at least 5 times. Just started training again after 10 years of inactivity. Perhaps being in my forties and having been pregnant also accounts for the more wobbly fat...
Annalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I've been up and down, been through periods of inactivity, and gotten older. The three together resulted in serious skinny fat the last time I got down to goal and I was unhappy with my shape even though I had a BMI in the low end of the healthy range.

I don't know which aspect of those behaviors contributed most. This time, I've been losing with a lot more exercise (I have a "walking desk" so I can literally walk for hours while I'm on the computer each day and it doesn't eat into my time! Other than that, I'm not doing much exercise other than some outdoor walking.) and the results are significantly different. I'm happy with my shape even a few pounds higher (than last time when I was unhappy).

I do still have some issues but I think those are due to loose skin -- either from age or repeat dieting. It's not a horror show and I think it's mostly age related, but I have no proof either way.

I'm not lifting so although my legs are very muscular, other areas of my body (especially my arms) are still skinny fat. I keep thinking I should do something about that, but I can't find anything that is as convenient for my upper body and I just don't stick with it.

Anyway, I don't know how much yoyo dieting may have contributed relative to other factors, but exericsing seems to overcome past errors, at least as far as toning is concerned (can't speak to long term possible health consequences). So, whatever anyone has done or not done in the past, finding an exercise program that works for you now is the right step for getting where you want to be.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote