Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default The scale is more important to my motivation than I realized

We are on vacation and while I haven't gone crazy, I have allowed myself more liberties than I intended. Part of the problem for me, is that I had no way of keeping track of things on the scale. While I was logging everything as usual, I wasn't getting the feedback from the scale. I think I felt that every calorie extra that I added was adding a pound to the scale. And as the week has rolled on, the more liberties I've giving myself with eating. A few more nibbles here and there. Still staying at or below maintenance, but higher than I would usually eat at home.

Well, we are ending our vacation with family. The have a scale in the bathroom. This morning, nude as I usually weigh myself, I stepped on and found I have lost another 5 pounds over vacation. All of a sudden my resolve to eat better the last couple of days has increased

I dont even know if their scale is accurate or how that will compare to my scale at home (though my husband thinks it's in my favor as that scale would show he's gained 5 pounds on vacation so far), but just getting some feedback from the scale helped my resolve so much.

Of course, I usually lose like gangbusters for 10 days after ovulation and stall out for the other 2.5 weeks, so I should be expecting weight loss during vacation unless I totally went crazy, but I was already losing my resolve by not getting the scale feedback. Which means, from now on, the scale comes with me and I will no longer try to talk other people out of taking their scale with them if it's important to them... Well, unless it involves flying. Won't pack a scale in a suitcase I need to check in at the airport.

Anyway.... Just some thoughts.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 179/170/140

Height: 5'5

I don't own a scale and I am hesitant to buy one for fear of becoming obsessed.
But you say it's motivation? I'm on my way to wal-mart right now
ChubbyCheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #3  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Some people think I'm crazy for weighing every day ("That's obsessive!", they say), but I like the feedback. If I did well, even on just one day, the scale will almost always show it, and I want to see that affirmation! And if I did badly, I want to check the damage. I don't see anything wrong with that.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxkaleidoscopic View Post
Some people think I'm crazy for weighing every day ("That's obsessive!", they say), but I like the feedback. If I did well, even on just one day, the scale will almost always show it, and I want to see that affirmation! And if I did badly, I want to check the damage. I don't see anything wrong with that.
See, I'm surprised at how many people say they check their weight everyday and it doesn't affect them negatively!
I thought most people would say "it just brings you down when you don't see any progress, so don't check it daily."
Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #5  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm the same way. I do so much better with daily weighing and I really freak out during scale-free times. The weird thing is that I normally still lose weight but I find it incredibly stressful without that feedback.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

That is something so idffent for everyone. I seem to need seeing the numbers. I weigh myself several times a day when at home and it gives me comfort to see my patterns. Like, during my monthly stall out, it's becoming a comfort to see that stall out or slight gain to be minimal. If I can go those 2.5 weeks with only gaining 3 lbs., then I know I'll see great losses during my whooshing 10 days. While I'm having my big whoosh, those big losses are super motivating and I eat and workout hard to maximize that whoosh.

Without that feedback, I feel a bit lost; a bit blind.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I've seen studies that show people who weigh daily have a healthier weight than those who don't. I know that whenever I stop weighing, I gain. I most definitely relate and need the feedback.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #8  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyCheeks View Post
See, I'm surprised at how many people say they check their weight everyday and it doesn't affect them negatively!
I thought most people would say "it just brings you down when you don't see any progress, so don't check it daily."
I think it depends on your personality. I did used to get discouraged and give up if I saw a number that I didn't like. But now I tell myself that one day is no big deal. If it keeps happening, daily weighing allows me to quickly figure out why. If I stagnate or gain for two days, what did those two days have in common?

It may drive some people crazy, but it works for me and lots of other people, it seems! Like I said, it really depends on you personally.
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

ChubbyCheeks Love your name! I think the scale is motivational, but the trap people fall into is needing affirmation from the scale more than anything else. For instance, a better indicator of how you're doing on your plan (especially if you're incorporating exercise) is how your clothes are fitting. Are you dropping inches like crazy? That's more important to overall health than a number of the scale. But people who do put a lot of weight in that number probably aren't seeing the bigger picture. I've been thinking about taking a break from the scale because I find myself obsessing about things like my muscles retaining water to repair if I exercise too hard. Will my weight go up because of my muscles? In fact, I should care more about my fitness than my weight but wanting a lower number on the scale interferes with that sometimes.

If you don't have one yet and you've been doing well, you might consider simply measuring yourself instead. Losing inches will motivate you too!
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #10  

luckymommy I could definitely see that. For me, I like weighing once a week because it shows that *overall* I did well. On a day to day basis, I know whether what I've done will make my weight go up or down. (For instance, on a day I eat at a restaurant, I know - without weighing - that my weight is going to go up the next day.) With my personality type (very all-or-nothing), I would become obsessive about being perfect every single day, so keeping my weigh-ins to once a week helps me not to stress the small missteps but look at the bigger picture.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I'm a fan of weighing everyday... whenever I've been successful at losing, it's been because I've kept an eye on my weight everyday. Your learn to see the patterns, like someone said above. Also, you have to be aware of of what certain foods do to your body - someone said in another thread that if you ate 10 lbs of lettuce, you would temporarily gain 10lbs, just until your body was able to process it and use or eliminate as needed. same thing with eating things with high sodium or later than normal in the evening. it may affect the scale the next morning, just because your body needs time to handle what it's been given.

but yeah... the scale can be a great motivator... as long as you get used to some of the ups and downs
dancingirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieC87 View Post
ChubbyCheeks Love your name! I think the scale is motivational, but the trap people fall into is needing affirmation from the scale more than anything else. For instance, a better indicator of how you're doing on your plan (especially if you're incorporating exercise) is how your clothes are fitting. Are you dropping inches like crazy? That's more important to overall health than a number of the scale. But people who do put a lot of weight in that number probably aren't seeing the bigger picture. I've been thinking about taking a break from the scale because I find myself obsessing about things like my muscles retaining water to repair if I exercise too hard. Will my weight go up because of my muscles? In fact, I should care more about my fitness than my weight but wanting a lower number on the scale interferes with that sometimes.

If you don't have one yet and you've been doing well, you might consider simply measuring yourself instead. Losing inches will motivate you too!
I just got back from the store, I bought one that measures body fat percentage as well. I see what you mean though.
Say I work out and gain weight in muscle? Or possibly water weight -I drink water relentlessly- ? I might freak if I think I'm gaining fat-weight.

I'll take your word on not depending on the scale solely for affirmation. I'll be in-tuned with how I'm feeling.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:46 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyCheeks View Post
I just got back from the store, I bought one that measures body fat percentage as well. I see what you mean though.
Say I work out and gain weight in muscle? Or possibly water weight -I drink water relentlessly- ? I might freak if I think I'm gaining fat-weight.

I'll take your word on not depending on the scale solely for affirmation. I'll be in-tuned with how I'm feeling.
Body fat percentage is a good measurement to go on too! I don't know what plan you're on, but I'm a calorie counter so I record my food in a food log daily. (Actually on a personal blog but whatever.) I make it a point to also record how I felt that day - lethargic, exhausted, full of energy, etc. It helps me to see patterns in my exercise/food intake/overall health. (For instance, if I felt really tired one day, I might look back on the day before and realize that I skipped my workout and ate a lot of processed foods, which helps me make better choices in the future.) Good luck to you!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #14  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

I used to weigh in every few days... but that was back when the number would drop every few days. At this point, I weigh myself maybe once a month. I try as hard as I can not to see weighing in as good or bad, virtue or vice, but instead just a measurement I take once in a while. I think once I'm at maintenance, I'll maybe go for the once a week thing (because when the number stays the same for weeks on end, that will be a good thing ), but right now it just throws me off, most likely because it takes me so long to lose. When I'm on plan, I'm really on plan for long stretches of time, knowing I'm doing things the best that I know how, so it's hard for me to see the number objectively when I feel like it doesn't reflect all of my hard work. I guess the positive side of this is that I've learned to keep myself going without this numeric info we've all grown so attached to .
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieC87 View Post
Body fat percentage is a good measurement to go on too! I don't know what plan you're on, but I'm a calorie counter so I record my food in a food log daily. (Actually on a personal blog but whatever.) I make it a point to also record how I felt that day - lethargic, exhausted, full of energy, etc. It helps me to see patterns in my exercise/food intake/overall health. (For instance, if I felt really tired one day, I might look back on the day before and realize that I skipped my workout and ate a lot of processed foods, which helps me make better choices in the future.) Good luck to you!
I am not a calorie counter but I have been very careful about what enters my mouth.
I am doing the Slow-Carb diet and it bans certain foods but does not require me to count calories.
Smart idea though, keeping a blog. Really smart. I'll pick that up as well