Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I give them to a charity shop.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #17  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm definitely going to be in the minority on this subject, but I keep mine. I've given all of my bigger clothes away in the past and it didn't deter me from gaining the weight back. Now, I think I'm going to keep them and if I can keep this weight off for 3 years or so, then I'll feel more comfortable donating them again.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Snow View Post
I've never heard of Goodwill accepting worn out clothing though, they have signs up at mine saying stuff has to be clean and in wearable condition.
OP didn't say what condition her clothes are in. If she's wearing them now, then they must be in wearable condition.

Another option to the one another poster suggested (Salvation Army) is to use the clothes as cleaning rags yourself (like cutting up old cotton t-shirts). Or put them in the free section on Craigslist. Someone is sure to grab them, even if they are "worn out."
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 196/139/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I'm definitely going to be in the minority on this subject, but I keep mine. I've given all of my bigger clothes away in the past and it didn't deter me from gaining the weight back. Now, I think I'm going to keep them and if I can keep this weight off for 3 years or so, then I'll feel more comfortable donating them again.
I'm in the toss 'em boat (because I think it's better to give to people who can use clothes NOW than to just let them waste away in your closet), BUT I will say that clothes have so little to do with our decisions to be unhealthy. I bought clothes that were a size too small last summer, thinking having cute outfits would motivate me to lose weight. It took me deciding to do this for my health (including mental health!) to lose the weight. (I knew another woman who did the same - bought designer outfits in smaller sizes thinking it would motivate her. It didn't.) Those clothes, too big or too small, do not have some kind of magic power over us that causes us to grow back into them or start working out and taking care of our bodies.
KatieC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

If you plan on having kids at all in the future you might want to hang onto some of them so you wont have to buy as much maternity stuff. If you arent then definetely donate!
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 324/268/140

Height: 5'2"

I farm a lot. I don't have my own farm, but I help out at other people's farms. It's a messy job, so I keep my big clothes for farming and/or other messy jobs.
Armida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #22  
skp

Height: 5'8"

I suggest get rid of the big clothes and then if maternity clothes are needed buy them then at a consignment shop. BADDDDDDDD voodoo to keep the fat clothes.
skp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #23  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I kept mine for a year, and then just recently I donated them to Goodwill in 2 big chunks. It felt good to unload them and I have the receipts for my taxes. I did keep the dressy clothes, out of fear I guess. I have some old dresses I still have to take over there, though.
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #24  
Up.Forward.Higher.Always.

S/C/G: 235/ticker/130's

Height: 5' 5"

Get rid of that **** !!!! I mean, honestly, you don't need it anymore! I'm a big believer in the out-with-the-old idea; I feel like I'm getting the old, negative energy out of my house when I let the 'stuff' go. On a more practical note, I lost a bunch of weight and then last summer, started to gain some back (about 10 lbs). My pants were a big factor in forcing me to turn it around because I was not going to go buy bigger ones! Also, and this is just how cheap I am, I donate to a thrift store that gives you 20% off coupons for donating, so I can go buy new-to-me clothes for practically nothing (I also live in the same town as Microsoft, so thrift store shopping is awesome).
tuende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #25  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

A friend of mine does clothing swapping parties. They are not just for people on a diet but for anyone looking. For something different. Everyone brings clothes and friends with clothes and seperate them out and everyone has a fun girl night picking out stufff.. whatever is left is donated.
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #26  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I haven't bought newer clothes yet because I really haven't been able to keep up! So I still have some of my larger clothes and instead I've been repurposing them

I like wearing my pants tight, so any pants I have now are simply too big for my tastes—however I prefer to wear my shorts loose. Most of my pants fit the way I want my shorts to, so I've been cutting them into cutoff shorts and capris since my other shorts are simply way too big. I've been saving the extra material so I can make stuff out of that if I wish.

I must have been a size 20 at some point, because I had those pants lying around. Instead of tossing them (because I doubt Goodwill would have been able to use them) I made a handbag out of them! I'm looking to do that with another pair of jeans Bigger sizes make for great handbags!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, I don't seem to be able to maintain a steady weight. At this point, I just want to keep my ups and downs within a reasonable range. To do that I need to both get rid of my big pants AND get rid of any stretchy pants that can fill the gap. Then promise myself sternly that I won't buy any big pants. Since I am really really cheap at heart, I can sorta keep that promise.

Then when I did gain some weight and it was hard to fit in my pants, it really did work for me to realize that I had to start losing again.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 210ish/192.2/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm having the same issue...I actually went through my closet last week to see what all I could wear. I have so many freaking clothes that its pathetic. Good news is I'm not having to buy any new clothes cause I had plenty of what I use to refer to as my skinny jeans. The bigger ones, though, I'm definitely giving away. Well the jeans, skirts, and dressy shirts anyway. The t-shirts I'm keeping to wear around the house...I have a friend who is losing weight and should be in the sizes I'm out of soon so I've already taken her some clothes.

I have NO problem giving my fat clothes away...the clothes that I get too fat for, though, that's a different story. I know the other day when I was looking through my closet I found clothes that I hadn't been able to wear in years. I hang on to them. Good thing too cause I can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe right now and the ones I can wear now are still in style...yay!
bamagirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote