Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-16-2011, 01:44 AM   #1  

Default Cereal/granola 'addiction'

Hi all

Am really struggling with after meals... Having handfuls of cereal or granola... I usually don't do this, because my meals are quite restricted in calories (am a CC) but lately it's become a bad habit. It's really worrying and stressful! I feel like I always want more and more, even sometimes when I'm actually already full.

Usually it happens after lunch but is worse at dinner up to 4 large handfuls. These granolas aren't very low calorie either. I don't know how to stop this cycle! It's causing havoc on my weight loss attempts and making my weight creep up. Please help! Any advice?

Thanks
evince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:17 AM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Stop buying it if that's an option? Cereal and granola are probably the most common carbs people get addicted to.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I had to stop buying granola and only buy it as a special treat occasionally.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:27 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

For some of us, there are particular foods that can't be moderated - you have to stop buying it.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I usually don't lose control with foods, but cereal is one of them. It's just so freaking good. One healthy bowlful turns into 3 bowls... not good. For me it's the same with Nutella. I just can't have any of it.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 AM   #6  

I completely feel you with the cereal, Honey Bunches of Oats is ADDICTING to me! Honestly, I just can't have it in the house.

You could try making Hungry Girl's granola, it's much lower in calories. I've never tried it, but it's worth a shot.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/surp...rl-nola-recipe
Kaspara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

We just can't keep cereal in our house. No way. There was this chocolate chip cereal when I lived in Germany that tasted like chocolate chip cookie dough, yeah, no way can I buy that stuff!!!!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I agree with everyone on the "don't buy it" front, but I also wanted to suggest that you look at what you're eating in your meals. Are you eating because you're still hungry? You might need to tinker and find ways to make yourself fuller. Protein and fiber help.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #9  

Why is this cereal and granola even in your house? Get it out right now.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #10  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

There are certain cereals (lucky charms, anyone?) I can't have in the house because I will NOT stop with one serving, or anything even resembling one serving.

Just gotta stop buying it. You can make some relatively healthy granola, but that still won't do a lot of good if you're eating it by the several cupfuls. It sounds like you've discovered a trigger food and it's time to move it out of the house. If you're still genuinely hungry after your meals, you might look at tweaking your calorie levels or messing around with your ratios. Too many carbs or too little fat and protein leaves me starving, even if I eat enough calories that I should be sated.

Good luck!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #11  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evince View Post
Hi all

Am really struggling with after meals... Having handfuls of cereal or granola... I usually don't do this, because my meals are quite restricted in calories (am a CC) but lately it's become a bad habit. It's really worrying and stressful! I feel like I always want more and more, even sometimes when I'm actually already full.

Usually it happens after lunch but is worse at dinner up to 4 large handfuls. These granolas aren't very low calorie either. I don't know how to stop this cycle! It's causing havoc on my weight loss attempts and making my weight creep up. Please help! Any advice?

Thanks
I could have written this. I found myself polishing off lots of servings of "healthy" cereal last week because I was stressed and overwhelmed. I've actually stopped buying cereal and granola for the house until my situation blows over
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #12  

Well... I have it at home because I live with my family. My mother eats cereal for breakfast sometimes. I've taken your advice and moved it out of the kitchen into our basement. Though this morning after having breakfast I couldn't help but have the 'Last Supper' feeling and took one small handful of it before keeping it away.

Any other tips? I feel terrible
evince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 162/159/140

Height: 5'7"

Would your mother be okay with you portioning it out into ziploc bags or tupperware as soon as it comes into the house? I know when I feel the need to buy cereal I have to portion it out as soon as I get home so that I don't have the option of taking handfuls straight from the box and convincing myself that I didn't really eat that much. If I have to take an entire pre-portioned bag I definitely think twice about it since I know exactly how many calories I would be eating.
smurfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale02 View Post
There are certain cereals (lucky charms, anyone?) I can't have in the house because I will NOT stop with one serving, or anything even resembling one serving.
Fruit Loops...sigh...
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:00 PM   #15  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evince View Post
Well... I have it at home because I live with my family. My mother eats cereal for breakfast sometimes. I've taken your advice and moved it out of the kitchen into our basement. Though this morning after having breakfast I couldn't help but have the 'Last Supper' feeling and took one small handful of it before keeping it away.

Any other tips? I feel terrible
I'd say you just have to compartmentalize it mentally as "their" food and "not yours." It's really hard when sharing living space with other people, but not impossible! I believe in you.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote