Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 238.5/?/no more scale 4 me!

Height: 5ft 4 (on a good day!)

i'm sure you didn't gain 2 pounds from eating a 1500 calorie meal of spaghetti...i'm sure it's water weight.. but i don't think you should feel pressured to eat whatever your uncle eats for the next 2 weeks... you should eat what you want to eat, i eat different stuff from my family all the time.
bellastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #17  
I think I can...

It may also have been the way the spaghetti was prepared. Years ago a BF invited me over for dinner and I got there early while he was still cooking and witnessed him pouring oil right into the sauce (yuck). So you never know how things have been prepared and what's been added. & remember if you don't eat all day even if you don't feel hungry your body is starving and holds onto everything you put it.
mzKiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #18  
Guy on a Diet

S/C/G: 448/253/183

Height: 6'0"

Thank you everyone, it's just a hellacious situation. I'm currently in a situation where I don't have control over the types of food I eat or am allowed to have. I am not allowed to cook, so I have to eat what's given me and work around that. It's mostly food very heavy in carbs with little fiber or protein most days.

I lost the first 150 lbs when I had complete control of my diet and the difference between that loss and this is phenomenal. Nevertheless I have managed to shed about 40 more lbs or so off, plus had a regain of 100 lbs and lost that (just about, have about 20 more lbs to go on that one).

So, I'm trying to get out of the situation, but basically I have very few options. One of those is to lose weight, and thus it's a catch-22, paradoxical type of situation, since I really don't have the option of losing the weight at the optimal way I should. I am discouraged from eating food on my own accord, but do on occasion, of course. Have refused numerous other meals and snacking to keep my calories in check.

I don't doubt the way the spaghetti was prepared can be a factor. It's possible oil was added. Spaghetti is one of my trigger foods, it's hard to eat just a little bit.

My weight is back down as of this morning to 273, so I feel better about it, and I had more calories yesterday than the day I "gained" the "weight".

Last edited by Thin Desire; 06-06-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Thin Desire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #19  

I wouldn't worry about it as is has to be water weight and not real weight gain. I'm not dissing anyone here, but I do not agree that the culprit is the portion of pasta that you ate. You would have had to have eaten more than 7,000 calories at that meal to REALLY gain more than two pounds. I agree with those who attribute your gain to water weight. IMHO, true weight loss or gain (i.e., not water weight) comes down to calories in /calories out. So, whether you ate whole wheat pasta (which I don't like, so I have regular pasta; don't think there's anything wrong with it) or regular pasta, unless you had 7,000 calories worth of it, I wouldn't worry about it. I'll bet a couple of days back on plan and you'll see that "gain" disappear.

Last edited by lin43; 06-06-2011 at 03:18 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #20  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

So upping the cals apparently worked!!! It always happens with me like that whenever I try to super control (i.e. not eat ENOUGH).

I understand your situation, you are afraid to eat what is given to you, so let me share this with you; however, I don't understand WHY you are in this situation. But Jillian Michaels said something profound that "clicked" with me...you could eat OREO COOKIES and lose weight if you stay within the calorie limits. Means less filling/healthy which is unfortunate, but you can have a loss just the same. Do I recommend doing something like that? Certainly not, but it sounds as though for some reason you are unable to break free of this situation. I do hope you can, I know I would be MISERABLE if my only choice was to eat things my husband eats (fried, fatty stuff). I would be starving!!!
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #21  

S/C/G: i was 70kgs i am now 64kgs

Height: 5ft 1

Theres a blog about a man who did an Oreo cookies diet and then ran a marathon or something like that. Niecy is right i have heard that to as long as you are within your calories limits you can eat almost anything
Marmot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #22  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

you didn't gain 2 lbs over night. you're retaining water. relax!
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #23  
is chubby

I eat whole weat pasta once a week.

The big problem with pasta is that people think a portion is actually the equivalent of 2 1/2 portions.

A portion is 85gr of raw pasta if you are of average size.

The second problem is: people add to pasta a whole second meal by putting super sauces on top and stuff at the side.

Never eat bread and pasta. Why should you? It is actually boiled bread and baked bread... that doesn't sound so tasty now, right? And why put meat with sauce on top etc etc.

Pasta is very rich in energy so you only need a tablespoon full of tomato sauce, a tb/spoon full of olive oil and 20 gr of parmeggiano powder or mozzarela.

Avoid adding super cheesy sauces, cream sauces, meat sauces etc. That is overkill and can make the plate worth 1200 calories easily.

Also do not add salt.

I add zuchini slices, cabbage slices, carrot slices etc and the taste is explosive.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Why would you skimp on the tomato sauce? I love sauce and load up on it. The kind I use runs 140 calories/cup. Well worth it!

ETA: Not to say that I never have pasta without tomato sauce. I often do pasta with olive oil and garlic and broccoli, or other veggies I have on hand, sometimes with shrimp, or chicken. But when I go for tomato sauce, I don't hold back.

Last edited by zoodoo613; 06-07-2011 at 04:58 PM.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #25  

I guess if you put alot of creamy stuff on it, it can become a high calorie meal, I really have no idea about calories in meat and cream because I really don't like my pasta that way. I'm like Chubbykins, veggies and pasta, sometimes with tomato sauce, somtimes stir-fried, sometimes whole wheat lasagna with tomato sauce, grilled veggies and a bit of low fat cheese.. also great..

Ok, now I'm hungry
khat is offline   Reply With Quote