Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #31  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm somewhat public about it, as in everyone who I am close to knows I am losing, but outside of my blog and here the details are not regularly discussed.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #32  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I guess I'm in between. I do not try to hide it from anyone, FB or otherwise. I also don't post every detail about it, but I also don't tell every detail to anyone IRL, though I come close with my trainer and my hubby. I posted recently about the fact that I can now wear zumba clothes, I posted when I climbed a mountain, I will post about a really good day at the gym, when I reach a big milestone, or if I find a really awesome recipe - things like that. I do not feel the need to post every time I go to the gym or every weigh in. However, if it might help someone else with their accountability then I don't mind seeing them do so, and I have a couple friends that do.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

I think its a bit of both...

I think its completely fine to be private with it and a little bit public... sometimes people are WAY to public about it, stating what they lost every week. That drives me NUTS. Also i do not like when people bring it up out of NO WHERE...
Example: someone always mentions how much they have lost when no one is talking about it or has asked about it...just stating a fact of "i've lost this many pounds"....
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #34  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

My big thing is that I don't want to invite discussion. It seems like everyone and their mother has a list of absolute musts about weight loss, and in my day-to-day life I don't want to have to spend a lot of time trying to hide the fact that I am politely ignoring 90% of what people tell me. I much prefer places like this to generate ideas, because no one knows if you think that they are giving crazy advice!

Openly talking about my plan to the world seems like inviting the world to comment, and frankly I don't want a lot of feedback from the peanut gallery.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #35  

Interesting how eveyone is different!
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #36  
You mad bro?

S/C/G: 228/164.6/128

Height: 5'3"

I actually deleted my facebook account right before I started my weight loss, but for a completely different reason. I think, though I can live without it and it's probably better for me not to have one, that I'm going to create a new account whenever I reach my goal weight.

So in this case, private on FB, but public in real life. I just HAD to tell people when I lost 5lbs, 10lbs, 15lbs, got under 200, etc.
Laneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #37  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I was fairly public because I was so excited about making the changes I needed to make. I hate coming off as one of those "I used to do X but now I'm sooo much better than that" people so I always took care to emphasize exercise victories and weight loss milestones - things that I DID rather than things that I STOPPED doing.

I stalled for a while and gained, due to binge eating sugar and being depressed (I can't tell which caused which). Now I am trying to lose again but I am keeping it fairly quiet, since people started paying a lot of attention to me and commenting on my weight every time they saw me.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I talk about it IRL a LOT, mostly because most of my friends are trying to lose weight too. Even my skinny friend weighs herself and delights that she has lost pounds every time I have her over to my house. Its just something on all our minds, we all want to look and feel better. Not all of us (myself included) have our stuff together to actually do it.

Also I have lost about 30lbs since last year, while it doesn't seem like a lot people seem to notice and ask. I think also I am super active, and it seems to be inspiring (is that narcissistic?) to people well if someone her size can do aerobics, maybe I can too!

I don't post about weight loss but I may post about activities once in a blue moon, As an encouragement to get people out like "Looking forward to Aerobics @ {fill in location} tonight @ {the time} thanks @{aerobic instructor}!" Or "Yoga, {Location}, {time}, Be There! " when new sessions are starting.

That kind of thing, I just like to encourage my friends to get active. Its way more fun when friends are doing it too. And advertise for my friends that are instructors. Its just how I am. But I personally don't like to advertise for me.

Updating HERE on 3fatchicks is public enough for me. You guys get all the over-shared deets
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #39  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

my best friend and my fiance are both privvy to the details, my mother to a lesser degree. so i can have day to day support from people that love me, but i don't really discuss it much with anyone else. if i'm offered something junkfood or asked why i didn't participate in a potluck or something, i'll just wave it off with "gotta fit into my wedding dress!" not "i have to lose 135lbs so i can get pregnant at a healthy weight."

when asked if i'm losing weight, will say that "i'm trying to drop a few pounds for the wedding" (partially true) without giving many details. people at work and people on facebook just don't really need to know about all that. however, i do have a public blog that is linked on here.

with my best friend and my fiance cheering me on, as well as the group here on 3fc, i feel like my support system is complete. i feel like i'd be under a microscope if everyone in my day to day knew about my weight loss journey.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:53 AM   #40  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

When I was a c25K running coach, I used to post running-related material on FB--schedules, places to run, or just give encouragement to my other running friends. I now post running and Zumba announcements allowing people to know where I will be if they would like to join. But, I have never nor will ever post that I am "trying to lose weight" on FB. And after today, I am highly considering NOT telling anyone else I am "on a diet"--not that I am, per say. It is more of "getting back to the way I AM" instead of a "diet".

I say that b/c I went to visit my mom today and when I told her I was trying to loose 20 lbs b4 the end of the summer when we are planning holiday, she brings the biggest coconut cake from her pantry that she had made for a church meeting earlier in the day--then, she proceeded to bring an orange flavored cake out too.

I didn't eat either of them--although, she was FURIOUS when I wouldn't even taste one bite and "let her know how it was"!

Then, my DH--knowing how hard I am working to aggressively tackle this whole 20# beast--but is NOT healthy, nor is he concerned in being healthy--brought home a XL pizza for dinner and crammed it on the eye level shelf of the fridge GRRRRR
I said to him--Hun, could u please NOT place that XL pizza on the shelf that when u open the fridge, all that pops out is TEMPTATION!

I'm not trying to get anyone I know into loosing one ounce, but if they ask or if I think a site may be helpful to them, I will refer it. Otherwise, my weight and my goal weight is totally off the topic of conversation for public opinion!

((soon 2b ticker)) HA
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I don't have facebook, twitter, etc. accounts and I'll really only talk to most people about it if specifically asked, so I would say I'm pretty private about it..
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #42  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm private about it. I did say something one time about how I had finally lost the "baby" weight. The "baby" is 7 years old now! LOL I just thought it was funny.

I don't say too much because I'm in it for the long haul at this point. I've changed my diet and I'm not changing back. There's no point in bringing it up over and over. It would just bore people to tears. I mean, I'm happy for others who have hit milestones, and I come here to see how other people are doing. Here is where I have a commonality with other dieters, but on FB most of my "friends" don't want to hear about all that, you know?
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote