Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #1  
Zumba Freak :)

S/C/G: 267/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Default To Weight or not to Wait? That is the question..

Hey everyone

So I haven't been as active lately - and that's just it. Work, school, etc. happened, but I had time to write or watch tv - so I can't excuse myself from coming here. But here I am, trying to make right for myself and you all to support and be supported. Anyhoo..

So I started my journey in January along with everyone else who diets as a new year's resolution! I was doing great, I even quit smoking at the same time. I went hard for about 3 weeks - and then I stopped. I started smoking again and my exercising slowly began to cease; however, I was eating healthy still. This continued all through the end of February. Well it wasn't until March that I decided I was going back to quitting smoking and working out again. This time it's because of something else (not only because I want to be healthy for me...) and that's a baby. My husband and I want to start planning for a baby, but we are afraid of any health risks that may occur with weight gaining. He asked that I try to get to 175 (or as close as I can) by mid April. But, honestly, is that enough time? Should we post-pone trying to start a family until I reach an appropriate weight?
A part of me wants to say "You know - I'm going to gain weight anyway.. so why not just wing it", but then another part of me says "Wouldn't it be nice to not encounter any complication during pregnancy because of my weight"

Diabetes runs in family, in fact, my mother developed it when she was pregnant with me and remained diabetic after I was born. I don't want that to happen to me.

Any input?
martha328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #2  
The cake is a lie

S/C/G: 268/237.2/150

Height: 5'5"

I think the most important thing right now would be to get the nicotine out of your system.

As far as the weight goes, I would set up a preconception visit with an OB and ask them their opinion.

Good luck!
sperrin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

15 pounds by mid-April is pretty ambitious. But why not start trying, and see any weight that comes off as a success (which of course, it would be!). As for waiting, well, I had two pregnancies while above 200 pounds, and I had healthy pregnancies and healthy babies. However, I don't have a history of diabetes in my family and that might have given me more motivation to lose more weight (as it was, I lost 60 pounds before I had my son, and was still above 200 pounds!).

And despite two healthy pregnancies and healthy babies, I wish I had been fitter during pregnancy. I ended up with 2 c-sections, which I attribute at least partially to my weight. Also, just being vain here, I think pregnancy would have been much more fun if people didn't think I was just fatter until 7 months along, lol...I would love to have the cute little belly. Anyways if you're not in any kind of rush to have a baby, why not give yourself a few months to lose a bit of weight, and then start trying, because that also might take a few more months as well? Anyways good luck!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Honestly if I were in your shoes I'd work as hard as possible to get as low as possible before getting pregnant.

Have you seen that show Obese and Pregnant? That show scared the CRAP out of me- I don't want to face what those women did at ALL.

15 lbs in two months is hard but doable- but if you waited what- one more month and did 15 lbs by mid-may what's one more month when it comes to having a healthy baby and a complication free pregnancy?

As for gaining the weight- I mean you don't want to just eat and eat while pregnant merely because you are pregnant. I read something recently about how pregnant women shouldn't eat for two.

Sorry I'm going off on crazy tangents lol. I'm your weight also and hubby and I plan on TTC conceive either late this year or next year so I'm reading a lot!

My doctor wants me to get even lower than yours before I TTC but I think partly cuz of my PCOS.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/obe...ry?id=10599100

Last edited by beerab; 03-09-2011 at 01:17 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #5  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I'm losing weight to provide a healthy body for our future babies as well! It's a good feeling knowing that I am doing it for myself and for someone else.

I decided that we wouldn't start trying until I reached what is considered the "normal" BMI for my height (5'9) ~ so, the magic number for me is 168. I know people don't always go by BMIs and lots of people wonder how realistic it is anyway, but it's a number I could use for a goal. I want to be as fit and healthy as possible when we conceive that way my pregnancy will have a shot at being a little easier and maybe even labor, too!!

To lose 15 pounds in 5 weeks means you need to drop 3 pounds a week, so that is a lot to drop in that short amount of time. Maybe plan to drop 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week and readjust your goal timeframe. Sure, you'll gain weight during pregnancy, but wouldn't you rather gain the 15 pounds that you've lost to get down to 175 instead of gaining 15 pounds and being 205?
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 153.2/145.6/125

Height: 5'2"

If I were you I would be 100% sure that I could commit to a healthy lifestyle before trying to conceive. That means no smoking plus eating well and exercising moderately for an extended period of time and actually coming to enjoy those habits. For me that would probably take months before I would convince myself. You can't do any of this on-the-wagon-off-the-wagon stuff while pregnant and your commitment right now is too new - you've only stated it, not demonstrated it with your life. Whether or not those last 15 lbs makes a difference I don't really know.
ERHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperrin1 View Post
I think the most important thing right now would be to get the nicotine out of your system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERHR View Post
If I were you I would be 100% sure that I could commit to a healthy lifestyle before trying to conceive. That means no smoking
I did pick up smoking 3 weeks into January; however, I have gone 9 days without a cigarette. My husband and I quit together so that my body would have some time to free itself from the toxins of smoking.

Thank you all for your answers and advice I am on the fence about this, but my gut is telling me to just keep working out like I have this month. Then, see where I am when I reach that TTC date. I'll visit my OB and see what she says, and then take it from there. Thanks so much for all of your kinds words and support!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #8  
Mommy And Wifey

S/C/G: 291/288/200

Gotta throw my 2 cents in here.....I had 3 pregnancies while weighing 280 lbs. All 3 healthy pregnancies, no gestational diabetes, no preaclampsia, high blood pressure, or anything else. Not everyone who is 'Obese' has horrible pregnancies, ect. I am proof of that Granted, I would have liked to be at a healthy weight when I was pregnant but that was not how it turned out.
wamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Nicotine is far more dangerous for pregnancy than being overweight (or using cocaine, for that matter). Quit smoking- if you have quit again, way to go!

Being closer to ideal body weight will decrease the risk of gestational diabetes. Also, at higher weight you would need to gain less weight than the "average" pregnancy.

I agree strongly that a preconception visit with an obstetrician is important but be certain you pick an OB who knows how to do this.

Happy baby making.

Last edited by Sskar; 03-11-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Sskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:59 AM   #10  

Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely going to touch base with my OB and see what she thinks. But for the time being - I'll keep at my healthy lifestyle
Old 03-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

I am sorta working to the same goal, I'd definitely wait till you are way closer to your goal, most people do not lose the weight after having baby- but if you can hold off and get as low as you can it gives you a bit more breathing room. Then when you have babyit wont be as much to lose!
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote