Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #31  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

Height: 5'7"

That's really cool how you did that. Very interesting. Taking the time to figure out what keeps you satiated is really awesome... I think it will make you a more successful loser in the long run. It's like you did a little experiment with your own body!

I'm kind of curious about myself now, I think I might try that this week... oatmeal for a few days and chart my hunger, and then hard boiled eggs and yogurt and do the same.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #32  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that I don't understand the difference between eating carbs and eating gluten?

My response was for the person I responded to and only her based on the context of her post.
I was referring to the part you quoted only, it sounded like you came to the conclusion that high carb == gluten. I know a lot of people think of pasta, bread, etc when they think of high carb which is not always the case.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #33  

Height: 5'4"

I read a great article awhile ago that said that the old advice of "just eat less and exercise more" was totally baloney as a one size fits all weight loss program. With my insulin resistance eating carbs, even whole grains=hunger. I envy those who can lose weight that way.

The same article said they are working to be able to figure out a way to test folks to see if calorie reduction or carb reduction works better for their body type. I wish there had been an easier way to find out that before spending all my time on low calorie plans that didn't work and made me feel like a failure!
Monkeysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #34  
Restarting AGAIN

S/C/G: 167/114/140/see ticker/105

Height: not quite 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnnie View Post
... our bodies simply are not made to digest SO much protein.
I don't think this is true. The FDA guidelines are seriously behind the research on adult protein needs. See this article, for example.

Extremely low carb isn't for me, but I worry more about hitting my protein and fat targets, then fill in with carbs to my calorie target. I do make sure I get my carbs early in the day before evening runs, as it makes more energy, but to hit all my calorie and macro targets I am generally at or below 100 carbs per day total. So, it;s all in what you are definign as "low carb" and "high protein."
Sindaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

So, the nutritionist at my gym was saying he would put me on a high protein lower carb meal plan to limit loss of muscle. but of course to get the actual plan requires me to pay for it and screw that, im willing to play around with my snacks and meals to create a different balance but i dont know what kind of nuumbers to aim for on each... Any suggestions?
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #36  
Amazing Revelations

S/C/G: 272/ticker/161

Height: 5ft 7

i definatley need carbs to feel full, at lunch i had a big plate of veggies and some plain baked chicken breast with salt and pepper. about an hour later i was hungry again, so i had a slice of weight watchers wholemeal bread which kept me feeling satisfied for longer than the chicken and veg!
MissSMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 PM   #37  
Restarting AGAIN

S/C/G: 167/114/140/see ticker/105

Height: not quite 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkrckpixikat View Post
So, the nutritionist at my gym was saying he would put me on a high protein lower carb meal plan to limit loss of muscle. but of course to get the actual plan requires me to pay for it and screw that, im willing to play around with my snacks and meals to create a different balance but i dont know what kind of numbers to aim for on each... Any suggestions?
Well, the research I cited above suggests at least 1.2 grams protein per kg of bodyweight, ideally consumed in >=30 grams in at least 2 of your meals (the amount at one time appears to matter, depending upon age.) Protein needs are proportional to bodyweight (or at least lean body mass) not to the total caloric intake of your diet. From there you an play with fat and carb numbers to suit yourself, keeping in mind that healthy fats are import to healthy skin and hair as well as hormone balance.
Sindaena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #38  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
So, the nutritionist at my gym was saying he would put me on a high protein lower carb meal plan to limit loss of muscle. but of course to get the actual plan requires me to pay for it and screw that, im willing to play around with my snacks and meals to create a different balance but i dont know what kind of nuumbers to aim for on each... Any suggestions?
Not sure what you are aiming for but I eat over 100 grams of protein a day.

Simple ways to add more protein are to just eat more protein options during the day.

IE

Breakfast: Omelette with peppers, spinach, onion, and feta cheese.
Lunch: Large salad (2 cups romaine) with tomato, onion, 6 oz of chicken, ranch dressing
Dinner: Grilled steak (5 oz) with 1.5 cups of asparagus

I don't eat a lot of carbs btw- most come from my veggies. But you can easily add like a dinner roll with that dinner or some pasta, etc.

The other day I had 7 oz of shrimp with 2 cups of cauliflower and broccoli sprinkled with parmesan and that meal alone was 50 grams of protein

Last edited by beerab; 02-14-2011 at 02:42 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Wow, i think ive been averaging about 70 grams of protien a day... Yikes, ill definately kick it up a bit
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #40  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I eat anywhere between 50 to 100 grams of protein per day and that, from all indications, is plenty. The current protein guidelines were based on the extensive studies of the World Health Organization over decades and they were most recently updated. I know the RDA was also recently updated. Also the original recommendations were based on weight/size so the average man was recommended to get around 53g of protein/day and the average woman was recommended to get slightly less than that. The recent updates based on latest research haven't changed those recommendations very much.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSMcC View Post
i definatley need carbs to feel full, at lunch i had a big plate of veggies and some plain baked chicken breast with salt and pepper. about an hour later i was hungry again, so i had a slice of weight watchers wholemeal bread which kept me feeling satisfied for longer than the chicken and veg!
Did you have any healthy fats -- avocado or olive oil, for example -- or just the chicken and vegetables? Fats are satiating and keep you full.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #42  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Wow, i think ive been averaging about 70 grams of protien a day... Yikes, ill definately kick it up a bit
Everyone is different but I just looked at my sparkpeople page and all I've had is breakfast and lunch and I'm already at 70 grams of protein lol.

I like protein though- I am a huge vegetable eater but also a big meat eater as well- south beach diet is great for me this way I do enjoy carbs as well but very sparingly- usually 80-100 grams of carbs a day is my carb intake.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote