Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/175.6/145

Height: 5'7"

I have to admit that I am one of those that look at other peoples stats. Not because I think they are better than me, but because it gives me a goal. Sounds silly but if I see someone running at 7mph, then that is what I want to be able to run.
LTs girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #17  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I look at people's stats. Mainly because I want to know how long they've been on it if there's a line waiting. I don't much care about distance or speed or whatever. I figure they are doing their thing, and I just want to know when it is my turn to get on to doing my thing.

Isn't that what gym is FOR? To work on things?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-20-2011 at 09:37 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #18  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

When I go to my hot yoga classes one wall is mirrored. And most of the people who go are younger and thinner than I am. Most are also more flexible and go deeper into postures than I can. So I have had to get over it. Part of it is that the only thing I am doing in yoga is getting MYSELF better, there is no competition. And after a few years of yoga, I am much more flexible and strong than when I started. I get better over time. It can be distracting at times to get a view of someone else but part of the mindset is concentrating on what we are doing ourselves.
This helps me not get intimidated by those who seem more fit than me. (which at times seems to be everyone, but that is MY issue, not theirs. Good on them for keeping fit)
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #19  

Now see, this is where 3FC has changed my thinking permanently.

Whenever I see an overweight person, someone puffing up the stairs or struggling in the gym, I think---"go you! I wonder where you are in your weight loss journey. Have you lost thirty...fifty....one hundred pousnds? Are you just starting out? Wherever you are, go, go YOU."

Thinner peeps might just be your biggest (albeit silent!) supporters in the gym...
Hiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 138/134.5/118

Height: 5'4"

Its funny... I never judge other people by their stats (I really have no room to judge cardio, but I do pretty well with weights/strength exercises)... but I ALWAYS assume that I'm being judged.

I work out in my apartment complex's gym a lot... and one my BEST friends are often in there. She is a 5'10'' leggy blonde... she is gorgeous but I'm never really jealous, I love my coloring and being short. Never jealous EXCEPT, that is, when I come into the gym and she is using those long legs to run on the treadmill at ridiculous speeds for 45 minutes - 1 hour. Sometimes I just start with my strength routine and hope she leaves before I start cardio and doesn't see how often I need to slow down! And she is the sweetest girl who loves me... my insecurities really make no sense, but there they are!
LLBoldAsLove87 is offline   Reply With Quote