Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #16  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

That's the way it worked for me. I had just found a new general practitioner, because my other one was a weirdo. So I made an appointment to get all the usual labs done, physical exam, etc. I had already thought about asking her about a sleep study because of how tired I always was and my husband told me I snored horribly. With some insurance plans you need that referral from your regular doctor, some don't require it. My blood pressure was creeping up to where she wanted to talk about meds, but decided she would wait until after my sleep study to see what happened. (I think it was 158/100 that time). I went to the sleep doctor she arranged for me, and they scheduled me for 2 nights of sleep studies -- the first one to see how I sleep normally, and then if needed, one to try the CPAP and figure out what pressure I needed to keep my airway open.

Just to give you an idea of the huge health ramifications of having untreated sleep apnea, when they took my blood pressure after my first night of sleeping my own normal way, it was 170/120! She said all night long my body was doing the fight or flight response -- WAKE UP AND BREATHE! I went back the very same night for the CPAP test, slept like I had never slept before in my adult life, and when she took my BP it was 128/78. At my last follow-up appt, after 2 months with my own CPAP, my BP was 123/80.

I'm really still in shock about it, and again, I am sorry to keep posting all this stuff, but it kills me to think of the amount of people who go in to their doctor complaining about being tired and having high blood pressure who are given antidepressants and BP pills, when a big part of the solution could just be effective, restorative sleep! I think my situation is very extreme, because my sleep apnea is really almost off the charts severe. But I feel compelled to tell my story whenever I get the chance. I have a whole new life!

Edited to add: Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you don't want to post on the thread.

Last edited by shannonmb; 09-10-2010 at 11:57 AM.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #17  
Dog Lover

S/C/G: H:226/215/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Are you taking any medications? I'm on a couple of antidepressants and find that if I don't watch myself, I could easily sleep 10 hrs at night and still take a 3 hour nap a day and STILL be sleepy all day. Just a thought...
ravenjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #18  

Height: 5'7"

I'm not currently on any prescription meds and I take a multivitamin each morning and that's all. Thanks shannon
kathrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #19  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

IM pretty much in the same boat as you. I can sleep like ten hours a night and wake up and still be sleepy. Now I don't think im getting a restful sleep as I wake up quite a bit during the night.

the only thing I could say is try to see a doctor, maybe your sleeping but it isn't a restful sleep, so your body doesn't feel refreshed enough when you wake up. just a thought.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 205/191/130

Height: 5'6"

This used to happen to me all the time, I could never get out of bed.

I would definitely go to a doctor to make sure everything is fine health wise, but assuming it is:

When it was happening to me, the two biggest reasons were that I just wasn't getting quite enough sleep, and that I was stressed about the things I was going to have to do that day. So I was able to solve it by getting everything ready for the next day so I wouldn't have to hurry and/or worry about things when I woke up. And by getting to be a little earlier.

When I asked my doctor about it he said that if you wake up in the middle of a sleep cycle, which last about 90 minutes, you'll feel way more tired than if you wake up in between sleep cycles. So maybe I should try waking up half an hour earlier or later. I didn't find that particularily helpful, but it was an interesting idea. I don't know if it would apply to you.

I'd think there's probably a reason behind why it's going on though, and not just a bad habit, because if you weren't feeling tired when you woke up it wouldn't be hard to actually get up.
mercury42 is offline   Reply With Quote