Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 167/165/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Eating when not hungry...can't stop! Help!

I tend to just graze as the day goes along; without really thinking about it. I consume hundreds of extra calories a day! I live with my parents, and my mom bakes a lot of baked goods, and I can't stay away. One nibble leads to fifty more, and then, once I've started, my mind tells myself to just keep going and start fresh tomorrow. How can I break this vicious cycle?! Help!
dramatic101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Plan. Plan. And then plan some more. Figure out what you're going to eat during the day the night before. If its not ON that list, don't eat it.

As for the baked goods, don't try that first bite. You said so yourself, one nibble leads to fifty... and then its just not a nibble, its an entire baked pastry. I had a roommate who left baked goods around all the time. Sure, I wanted them....but never starting to eat them made it easier. Go outside, take a walk, clean out your room, anything: Just stay away from the kitchen!

And never ever start again tomorrow. Start again with that next meal. So you messed up breakfast....why make the damage worse and eat even MORE calories for lunch? You wouldn't fail a test and go "oh well, I already messed up, so there is no point in trying for the next test". You'd just work harder the rest of the class...and maybe you'd get a B instead, but thats better than just sitting back and failing.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #3  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

maybe moving out? i'm just kidding.
For me, I usually don't eat them (cuz I know I might not b able to stop).
But if you can't stay away from them, how about telling your mom to change the recipes so they can be healthy baked goods?
And also drinking tons of water/tea so you feel REALLY full and bloated that your sweet tooth just die. That trick helped me in the past multiple times.

Last edited by Annita; 08-26-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 241.6/150

Yes, I agree with Annita maybe your Mom can either bake less or healthier. There are LOTS of recipes using applesauce instead of sugar and oil for butter.
allwayshungery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramatic101 View Post
I tend to just graze as the day goes along; without really thinking about it. I consume hundreds of extra calories a day! I live with my parents, and my mom bakes a lot of baked goods, and I can't stay away. One nibble leads to fifty more, and then, once I've started, my mind tells myself to just keep going and start fresh tomorrow. How can I break this vicious cycle?! Help!
Don't have that FIRST nibble - that is the key for me. I had a LOT of problem stopping to eat many foods once I started - my solution - don't start. Problem solved! 165 lbs shed.

You've got to make definite NO'S. Unbreakable laws and rules for you to follow. Sure sounds like a good one to implement would be "no baked goods - no matter what".

In order to break that cycle, you're going to have to be very firm - and perhaps be a little uncomfortable - initially - because you're not used to sayiing no. But be firm. Don't allow it in. Don't make it an option TO eat it. You will see that after a not so long time, that it will become automatic to you to refuse it and that you won't even want it.

I'd make those baked goods (and other similar things) completely off limits.

I agree with the planning as well. Map out your food schedule in advance. Know where each and every meal and snack is coming from ahead of time. Stick to that sucker like glue. Like glue. This is your guide to the day. You don't even have to contemplate eating anything that's not on your plan. The decision's been made ahead of time for you. No more thinking about anything else. No more "should I?/shouldn't I?" that always leads to disaster. The questions' been taken away from you.

Have healthy, lower calorie, delicious foods available to you - all that other food is not meant for you. It's not yours and you have no right eating it (this is what you must tell yourself).

Plan, plan and than plan some more.

You CAN do this. And you should. You won't regret it for a single second.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote