Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #31  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaBea View Post
What I DON'T like are those people who are just saying rude things to be controlling and hurtful.

Is your MIL just as "blunt" and "unfiltered" with her compliments or is it only the insults?
I don't think she was being controlling; it's hard to see how it could have come off as anything but hurtful though.

She has a reputation for being blunt and unfiltered, which is sometimes refreshing as you say, and sometimes... well, not . She rarely gives compliments, and doesn't suffer fools gladly. But she's 91, and a remarkable woman, really. I'm not often on the receiving end of her sharp tongue, that's more my DH and his daughter, and I think that's why I took it so much to heart; I'm not usually on her hit list.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #32  

Height: 5'4"

That is incredibly rude. I'd be really hurt too! Makes me grateful my boyfriend's mother is pretty awesome (I've gone out to dinner with her a few times and had a blast!).
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #33  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expunge View Post
Makes me grateful my boyfriend's mother is pretty awesome (I've gone out to dinner with her a few times and had a blast!).
^^This is the kind of MIL I want to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlyjordon2002 View Post
I don't speak to my MIL and she did call me fat 2 days AFTER GIVING BIRTH!!
OMG - that's awful!

Last edited by Fressca; 07-13-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #34  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Wow.

That's when you let your eyes widen and your jaw drop just a little bit. And then you say, "OMG, you just said that outloud. You must be so embarassed." And then you let a smile play around your mouth and shake your head like she's totally delusional and you are simply humoring her utter lack of social skills.

Unreal.
YES! I now have a comeback for my MIL who does the same thing Thanks!!
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:52 PM   #35  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

I don't think MIL's have an internal filter and they suffer from diahrrea of the mouth. My MIL is the same way. I wouldn't take her comments to heart, just use it as motivation to make her "eat her own words" the next time you see her. Doing that shut my MIL up for good!
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote