Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/212/180

Height: 5'2

Post Need some motivation

Ok well I need some help to motivate me and I thought you all might have some advice. Anyways...here is a little background info on me...I have always been heavier than most, and even though I was active as a child and through high school I was never "thin." Around the first of the year, my boyfriend and I decided we needed to start eating better and exercising. With the help of a website and him, I was able to reduce my caloric intake to around 1800 calories a day and working out 2-3 times a week. It was tough at first, it made me super tired and at times i could hardly stay awake. After a couple weeks I started feeling better and lost 10 lbs! I couldn't believe it. For about 2 months I was hardcore at sticking to my diet. Then the weight started coming off I lost a little over 20 lbs but then for some reason I just got lazy. I didn't go back to my bad eating habits, but I did find myself cheating more often and exercising less. It has been about a month and I haven't gained any weight back, but I haven't lost any either. I want to get back on track but need some motivation. My boyfriend hasn't been much help either. His motivation is worse than mine and I often go and workout and he doesn't. So I'm just looking for some motivation, all types gladly accepted

Last edited by shortstuff17; 06-11-2010 at 06:42 PM.
shortstuff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 AM   #2  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

This has happened to me as well. What I do when I get stuck in those ruts is start eating a little better by becoming mindful of what I am eating. Tracking my calories online is one way. I also pay more attention to when and where I am eating. I think you may be exercising too much too soon. I would start slow, perhaps with a 15-30 minute walk three days a week, building up slowly and increasing distance and speed (not at the same time). Also, try different physical activities instead of your usual routine. Jump start your diet by playing tennis, swimming, bicycling or even walking around the mall! Listen to music and changing your playlist often helps too. Good luck and keep going!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #3  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

If it were me, I would try to see why I'm feeling tired from 1800 and working out 2-3 times a week. What kind of calories are you eating? Are they filling and nutritious? What kind of workouts are you doing?

I agree with the above poster about starting off small when it comes to exercise. I remember being out of shape in the beginning and not being able to do anything extreme. I would start with a 30-40 min elliptical daily or a 30-40 min power walk and that was it.

I am about your height (I'm 5'1.5) and at my highest I was 210 lbs. My plan was basically to limit my calories to under 1300 calories and do something active for 30 minutes daily (minimum).

Edit: wow I didn't realize you were working out 2-3 times A DAY! (I read a week)...You might be pushing yourself too hard on the exercise front...

Last edited by InControl2Day; 06-11-2010 at 11:57 AM.
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

Shortstuff, what you said is probably the main reason why I have yo-yo'd for so long. I'll get motivated, stick with it for 10lbs then hit a plateau, start to get into a rut, lose motivation, get bored and then just give up. For a while I fool myself because I'll gain a couple lbs slowly, but think its ok, I'm "maintaining"... then the lbs slowly creep back on. (1/2lb a week here, 1lb there, etc). And then I start over.

The last 2 times this has happened was partially because I was bored with my workout routine. Right now I'm still not interested in going back to they gym because my weight routine was boring. I need to find something different to shake it up.

So - what I am getting at is - try a change. Or, set goals for yourself. Right now I have hooked up with 2 woman who are training for a triathalon and I'm joining them in their training sessions. Its new, its different and its interesting. And having someone to be accountible to for showing up with makes me actually do it.

2 yrs ago, I was training for a 3 day hike across the grand canyon. Before that, I trained for the Susan G Koman 3 day (60 miles of walking in 3 days).

Try to find something to train for. Sign up to walk (or run) a 5k. If it helps, find one for a charity so you have more motivation and maybe find a local group to train with.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

The good news is you have not gained any weight back, so you are in a much better position than when you started a few months ago. When I get in ruts, I figure out a strategy for getting unstuck. For example, I was just plain sick of what I was eating about 5 months ago, so I changed up my food. I got tired of the same exercise, so I changed that. I even got tired of working out to the same music, so I started downloading podcasts. Do whatever it takes to move forward. You worked really hard to lose those 20 pounds, so build on that instead of allowing yourself to slide backwards.

You can do this!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #6  
Amazing will be me

You sound like me ............and were around the s/c/g
Ive never been "thin" and was always chubby as a child. My BF is my motivator and my sabatager ( i mean that in a good way) he likes to treat me and take me for meals ...........its not always good for my waist line

Hes my motivator in ways that he likes to keep fit and eat healthy , so when were in MODE we help each other.
And hes my motivation as i want to look good for him........( he doesnt know this ) , i know he loves me etc etc........but jus cant wait for the day his jaw drops and hes like WOW. He wud argue the fact he thinks that now but im sure all girls agre theres nothing like feeling good and wanting to look good for you and your partner.

Also my motivators are a certain dress, looking good , being able to wear anyclothes i want ( ditch elasticated bands ) , to not be the fat friend anymore ...and also be a healthy weight to start a family.

All these are my long term motivators........but when i get de-motivated.........i do little things like have a pamper day , apply some fake tan , do my nails .

If im feeling crappy because of my diet or that i havent put enuf effort, i compensate but making my self look good on the outside then i start to feel better inside and more often than not get back on the wagon the very next day.

Sometimes it is hard tho. IF ya looking for a buddy feel free to inbox me anytime
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 AM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstuff17 View Post
... and working out 2-3 times a day. ...
Are you really working out 2 - 3 times a DAY? For how long? 15 mins for 3 times a day is fine, but if you are trying to do full 30 - 60 min workouts 3 x's a day, I know that would be enough to UNmotivate me.

One of the things I am realizing this time around is that nothing has to be all or nothing. Don't feel like working out today - then just go for a stroll around the block. If I am aiming for 1800 calories and eat 1900, it's not the end of the world (I figure it is still much improved over the 2400 - 2800 that the internet tells me I eat to maintain 214 lbs).

I pat myself on the back every time I eat a veggie... every time I turn down a cookie... everytime I go for a walk... or lift a weight. Don't forget to praise yourself for everything! Every time you do something that is an effort towards attaining your goal, pause for a minute and feel proud of yourself! I truely believe it is in the small things we do each day that will lead us to reach our goals.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #8  
lucysam77

S/C/G: 200/176/140

Height: 5"4"

keep going.... don't give up... I've been on my diet for a month and I weighed myself today and lost 15 pounds...!!!! I couldn't be happier.... im 185 lbs now and that's give me hope and motivation...
you can do this!!!! .... think about how beautiful and healthy you are gonna look .... Good Luck!!!
lucysam77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 235/212/180

Height: 5'2

thanks everyone for the advice and just so everyone knows, it was a typo, i only work out 2-3 times a WEEK! oops
shortstuff17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #10  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Shortstuff, If you quit you will fail--if you stick with it you will eventually reach your goal. Don't worry about when, just stick with it! Don't worry about what your bf is doing. Do this for you! If he's really committed to getting healthy, he will join you down the road. That's his deal, not yours. Use your workouts as your special time for you. You so deserve this!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote