Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 10:28 AM   #16  
Is it Friday yet?

OOoooh, what a night... I haven't slept good for 3 nights then last night, just as I'm drifting off to a nice Tylenol PM induced sleep I hear "CRASH!" - the sound of breaking glass... Ok, *that* woke me up, I ran out to the front room and found that the heathen cats had knocked over one of my lamps and the bulb was now all over my ceramic tile entry way... Yes, I enjoy vacuuming at 10:30pm Really, I do....

This followed a bad day in general - my stepfather's sick, I guess sicker than he already was (he's got emphysema) and told my Mom he felt like he was dying. I have no idea what's going on and am just going to go with the flow - we've known he was going to die from this, just now when... so, we're waiting for the Dr. to say something now.

On a brighter note I had another heart palpitating phone call from "my guy". For all the sadness of last night, all I had to do was think about what he said to me and I could smile.

Babette - I read your post and for some reason Scarlet O'Hara came to mind - I swear I'll never go hungry again!!!! Must be time to watch that again...

Ok, where IS everyone???

Terri
Old 09-19-2002, 12:08 PM   #17  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Exclamation OK. Let's try this again... with fewer smilies!

Amarantha, many thanks for the nudge about the facial exercises! Being a Woodland Nymph of a certain age, I shall seek out and use such information. Yay for you taking up Tai Chi , and yay for me taking up painting! First class was yesterday, and already I have so many new things to be preoccupied about - thus helping my mind to stay out of the well-worn ruts that it tends to fall into, which are neither productive nor enjoyable. Here's to new beginnings!

Eydie, I cannot think of you as an "Edith." You seem like an Eydie through and through, unique and marvelous! Funny image, that, each of us in our own abodes grimacing hideously into our mirrors. Maybe we can arrange a synchronized grimace-fest?

Punkin, mmmm... sandalwood - patchouli -- I could almost take a nibble of that myself. I think I would add a tiny touch of rose to the mix. I just came across a recipe for shower gels and intend to get some essential oils and make some intoxicating potions... Sorry about your crash. CATS! Dickens is finished his antibiotics now, which is definitely cause for celebration in our household Hope your dad is feeling better. Nice that you have the distraction of those smiles and palpitations!

Kaylets, funny analogy: rocket ships and corn candy! Of course, we do not eat rocket ships, although sometimes we (this would be the royal we) have eaten so much that we feel like we have . Hope you don't mind my appropriation of your quote about the things you were giving up. I just find it so helpful to look at frequently!

All right. Now I will go back to work. AFTER carefully copying this post before I submit it....aw, maybe just one more
Old 09-19-2002, 04:39 PM   #18  
Empress/Queen

Default Yo!

Emp. Amarantha's floating in amber ... nope, not on drugs, just sleepy and living in fog at the moment! Thought I'd wax poetic after reading the Edie lyrics, thanks Punkin o' Friday. Glad Eydie o' Blockettes is a MUCH cheerier person. Dogs lay at Amarantha's feet also, ditto cats and birds would if they were into that sort of thing.

Sometimes it strikes me as weird the way Old Dog and Silly Cat follow me from room to room and flop down wherever I am as if I were the center of the universe. On the other hand, a friend I've been close to for eight years woke up one morning and decided I was evil and told me she never wanted to be my friend anymore (I hadn't done anything that I know of to precipitate this, so am still in the dark) and continues to send me emails to that effect. But dogs and cats never have these mysterious brainstorms ... well, actually they do ... dogs at least have what is called "cascade of rage syndrome" and go bonkers and attack their loved ones, but so far Old Dog shows no signs of such dementia.

Punkin: Sorry about your father-in-law. Hope he weathers this bout of sickness ok and stays with you for years to come.

Glad that some "palpitating" phone calls are still coming your way from your "guy!" Go, Punkin!

Babette: I think you'll enjoy the facial exercise. Actually, the ones I like best are not the grimacy kind ... these are very small, precise muscle contractions, thinking very hard about the muscle that is supposed to be working (look at an anatomy chart when starting out) and working muscle against muscle or muscle against your fingertips or muscle against bone. Gently pressing fingertips on fold or crease lines keeps wrinkles from forming. I do not do any of the ugly ones as they gross me out even in private! I know I find this idea much more healthy than injecting botulism in my skin so I won't even USE my muscles. (Again, apologies to all who love botox ... no judgement intended just my own gut opinion).

I'm looking forward to the tai chi a lot. I have tried it with a video and with a book, but it was too slow for me to concentrate. With people I think it'll be fun and calming. I already told my publisher I can't work on those nights.

Glad Dickens is back to good health again. Cats are such a comfort!

I'm also trying to remember to copy my posts here now, as the "too many smilies" syndrome has struck me often. It just erases the posts instead of taking you back to edit out the offending graphics! I usually just go away as I'm too long-winded anyway!

Old 09-19-2002, 07:30 PM   #19  

Smile Friday eve!!

Hello all!!

Punkinseed- Hope your stepfather hears good news soon and si more comfortable. These things are very hard.

Babette, I noticed your new signature line, I'm really flattered my post meant so much to you.

Anyone drink loose tea?? Dh and I were at a restaurant and were impressed by the tea served w/ individual infusers. So, we promptly bought some as we had loose tea but always would make a whole pot. The first time out w/ the infusers, I put so much tea, the water couldnt penetrate- next couple times, the tea was getting wet but I wasnt tasting any flavor. -- Maybe the water at work isnt hot enough??? any thoughts??

Empress A- yes, you are so right!! true, true and loyal friends are our pets- they are for the most part better natured than humans - certainly much more forgiving- they don't even care if we smell bad!!
Its a shame the email stalking continues. Its been almost 2 weeks now hasnt it?? I wonder who else is on the hate list.
I suspect, its not you at all but a much deeper problem coming to the surface.

I have a few things to pack for the charity pickup tomorrow. I'll try and stop by again tonight.

PS Empress A-- noticed you've been driving BY the convenience store-- GOOD FOR YOU!!
Old 09-20-2002, 07:18 AM   #20  

Angry Good Morning Your Excellencies!

Day 6, uh-huh. I am back, Baby! Now to get as functional work-wise. Must stop frittering away the hours - I have come to the realization that I actually have plenty of time to do what I need to do and enjoy life besides; I just don't have time to WASTE (which is a big problem of mine).

My sister's MIL died the other day, and a death is always a little reminder that our time here is finite. So I resolve not to waste time. I don't consider that any time spent happily engaged is wasted, but most of the time I waste doesn't even feel good - and I could be doing something I enjoy, since i'm not being productive anyway So. That's my new resolution for today: No more wasted time.

Kaylets, I love to use loose tea (it's SO much better!) but DH finds it too much of a hassle. I haven't used an infuser, though. I just put the leaves in the pot and then pour the tea through a strainer.

Emperess Amarantha, I've always loved the way that my kitty cats follow me around the house and I thought that they all do that. But recently at a party some people who also have cats were amazed to see Dickens follow me to the bathroom and sit patiently outside the door until I came out. Two cats I used to have would walk me to the corner store and sit outside until I came out for the return walk home. I can still picture setting out for a walk in the evening with DH and turning around to see a white kitty tearing along behind us as fast as her little legs would take her.

Let's make this a wonderful day! Love to all!
Old 09-20-2002, 11:47 AM   #21  
Is it Friday yet?

FRIDAY!!!!!

Tonight I go home and start cookin'!!! I'm making apple cake, marinated mini-meatballs and artichoke dip for our equinox get together tomarrow.... I'm also going to go see if our video store has Monsters, Inc. in, I really want to see it...

Amarantha - I'm sorry about your friend. Eight years is a long time to be close for someone to just pitch it all and go psycho on you. I wonder what her issue is? Either way, you take care of you - we love ya'!!!

It is funny how pets follow you around. Maia hangs out in the kitchen with me while I make my lunch at night and I've had to push my two youngest cats off of me when I use the bathroom - it's like, HELLO??? I'm peein' here, get offa' my lap!!!! Then they get mad and go sleep in the sink....

Kaylets - I've done loose tea - I have one of those fancy little ball strainer dohickies. I do think the water has to be reallly hot and the tea has to set and steep for a few minutes. I was always told not to dunk it over and over because it makes it bitter - but I've never noticed that....

Babette - I'm sorry for your sister's loss... yes, death does have a way of making us look at life differently.
My grandmother's death that was the catalyst for my divorce. When she died I asked myself what would I say my life was like when I was an old woman and all I could come up with was "I can't believe this was my life, I can't believe this is it." Bad marriage, so-so health, depression, crying all the time, never knowing the joys have having my own home, my own things... So I decided then and there to make a change - try to fix what was broke and if it couldn't be fixed then it needed to end so I could attempt to salvage life before I was that old woman asking myself what happened to the time. They say even from bad things, good things happen - so true.

On that subject... my stepfather is doing much better. The Dr. said he wasn't bleeding internally as bad as they thought and put him on some non-asprin based therapy for his rhymatoid arthritis. He has a bleeding disorder (Ostler-Webber syndrome), emphysema, colitis and arthritis - he's a mess physically and can't take any asprin products - Advil is what caused him to bleed internally this time. He's feeling better today but yesterday when we spoke I told him he scared the **** out of us - he said he was scared too, so I guess he's not as ****-bent on dying as we all thought.... Back to his crabby, crotchety old man self!

If I'm not back, have a great weekend everyone!

Terri *snort*
Old 09-20-2002, 01:10 PM   #22  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Amarantha hath reached her sixth day of this initiative (block) and hath also resolved not to waste time ... though time spent posting on 3FC IS productive in keeping focus on what matters most (IMHO) ... health!

So I'll be brief!!!

Punkin o' Today, your celebration meal sounds delicious, especially the cake! Have fun!

I'm glad your stepfather is feeling better and hopefully off the Advil. Many people think this doesn't cause bleeding as aspirin can, but it can.

I don't know what my psycho friend's issues are, but have concluded that at this point I don't care. I did care and had concerns about her mental state, but now I just ignore the situation as it will resolve itself without me in it.

Now Old Dog has gone all psycho at a strange noise in the house ... nope, no criminals here, 'cept for the cat, who's looking sneaky!

That's so funny about your cat climbing in the sink! Mine doesn't do that but I have several large dolls around and the alien feline climbs in their laps and goes to sleep. I think she thinks they are people.

Babette: Sorry for your sister's loss also. You are right, death reminds us not to waste time ... however, I wonder if doing this work I've come to find so stressful IS the waste of time ... but I need the money, so ...

Such a neat story about your cats walking you to the store! Many people think cats are standoffish (some are, I guess) but the ones I've known are more fixated on us than even dogs. If you give a dog something to eat, it'll leave its beloved human and come over to where you are (well, Old Dog won't, but she's too lazy). Cats aren't motivated by profit ... they just hang with you through feast or famine.

Kaylets: Thanks for noticing on the convenience store thing!! Yep, I haven't succumbed to the allure of these establishments for some time. If I do buy a snack there, it's always a bottle of fat free milk ... no dulce de leche.

I like loose tea also. I just put it an infuser and pour hot water over it into a cup. I like green tea best. It's good with that DaVinci syrup! The water s/b very hot for any tea. Mostly I like to make the tea with hot water and put ice cubes in it because I prefer cold anything!

Later, Blockettes! Must take nap and THEN I'll be productive.

Ok, it said I had too many images and I thought I'd lose it, but it stayed put. Maybe the secret is to use the quick reply screen.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:36 PM   #23  
Is it Friday yet?

Ok, I've found the DaVinci syrups - now, what do I do with them?? Are they healthy? They scare me!!! It's a bottle of wonderful smelling liquid and I'm stumped...

Terri
Old 09-20-2002, 04:32 PM   #24  
Empress/Queen

Dunno if they are healthy, Punkin! But they are definetely calorie free and tasty. I believe Kaylets is the expert on using them since she brought them to our royal attention. I've tried only the vanilla, haven't even opened the amaretto. Today I put a drop or two in my all-fruit smoothie and it really adds a nice vanilla touch. Also I've been known to buy a whole quart of ff milk and doctor it with the vanilla and then drink it throughout a weekend. Was also thinking it might be good as a substitute for sugar in baked goods. I've been known to drink it in plain water when desperate ... not bad, sort of like flat vanilla soda. I imagine you could also thicken it with an egg and make custard sauce for ! Hmmm. Or bread pudding? Or ...

Bananas Foster!!!
Old 09-20-2002, 07:29 PM   #25  

Smile FRDAY!!!!

The syrups can be good for that and lots more- their website has recipes too- Club soda wouldnt be so flat-- but the tea sounds tasty-- Maybe iced coffee too --

I just wish more of the flavors were in the stores- I'd love to try rasberry- rootbeer- chocolate--

Hmm, we were putting the infusers in the cup after -- not before--
Will have to give that a try-- Thanks--

DH saw Christina Cooks frying "healthy" and tried it w/ fresh salmon-- You wouldnt even know it was fried, because its olive oil and the salmon doesnt even taste like fish. Yum--

Coming attractions: I'm getting a power of five survey together
Should be ready soon!
Old 09-20-2002, 11:13 PM   #26  
Empress/Queen

Kaylets, how was this healthy frying done?

Eager to see the survey!!! All hail the POWER!!! We got it! Yes, we do!

Amarantha hath given up work as a bad job today, but forgot to eat dinner and decided to end her eating day anyway at 1340, all told did 100 minutes of exercise since this a.m., which was a long time ago!!! Need to rest in spa tonight.

Royal Blockettes, the weekend is here and the full moon riseth! We must REDEDICATE ourselves to health and the struggle against these pesky ... YES, they are FLUFFY! YES, they are cute! But they must go and live elsewhere. They are troublemakers; they clog arteries and make us look bad in our designer jeans (though, of course, how could we look bad, as we are lean, mean Amazon s). Ok? Ok! Here's a banana!

Amarantha must go back to sleep now!
Old 09-22-2002, 04:45 PM   #27  
deleted2

Happy Autumn! It's finally here---my favorite season.

Sounds like everyone's doing beautifully with their challenges. I made it thru my moon-to-moon challenge. Granted it was alittle iffy here and there but I persevered. Where is everyone? I assume you're all doing something healthy and/or fall related?

Old 09-22-2002, 06:11 PM   #28  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Eydie thanks for posting on the Halloween Challenge! The Good Witch hath put you on the list!

As all who readeth the 5-pound challenge will know, but for the sake of those who do not (which is cool, too) ... Emp. Amarantha hath retired to a hut in the woods (she's keeping the honorary title o' empress) and hath morphed into the Good Witch Amarantha (she IS good, d**** it!). She hath brewed up a focused (e.g., she promises to focus on topic and not go on and on too much) Scary Halloween Challenge for any good little witches, hobgoblins and/or ghosts or other miscellany scary folkettes! She hath resigned from the 5-pound challenge thread with apologies and hopes someone else will do the list.

This BROOMSTICK FLIGHT back into the holiday type "lite" challenges we used to have here was inspired by the DEMON SCALE, which today had the temerity to show Amarantha at the SAME weight as last week, though her clothes are looser and she hat exercised up a storm AND reduced her average calories to where they should be to lose at least a dang pound. She refraineth from stomping the DEMON SCALE into the ground and burying it at midnight in the backyard, but needs a new challenge.

Please join in if it pleaseth thee and keep the 5-pound challenge going as well ... CAN WE HAVE TOO MANY CHALLENGES?

Amarantha must work ... or nap, haven't decided which.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:55 PM   #29  

Default Sunday!!

Hello all!!

We havent seen the rain we were hoping for but maybe by tomorrow. DH and I went to the local fleamarket this am and found some Pfaltzgraff . One piece we had never seen before so we were pleased. Also found 2 little terracotta pigs - each with wings!!! That's a particular favorite of mine- Deciding when pigs should fly.

My scale is not moving downward either. But I am hoping that the green tea will help. The tips on using the infusers worked by the way! That was a very pleasant suprise. Really glad I asked help instead of giving up!! Guess that's what a support thread is all about.

Healthy Salmon frying- just coat the nonstick fry pan w/ olive oil, saute garlic, pan fry the salmon aprx 3 min on each side. ( more if very thick, less if thin)

I have a quote for the day-
"Persistence is far more important than perfection!”

Old 09-23-2002, 08:47 AM   #30  

Angry A fresh new week!

Good Morning, All!

I had a pretty good weekend, although busy. Visiting hours and funeral for my BIL's mom Friday and Saturday and then I had a party for my grandson's first birthday yesterday. Very interesting having the two celebrations on the same weekend, really makes one think... I was happy with the way the birthday party went - my son and his ex-girlfriend (who have not been on good terms) were quite amiable.

I did manage to watch my intake over the weekend and did fairly well, although I wasn't super abstemious. WI tomorrow night, so I shall attempt to be so today and tomorrow. I did think at the gym this morning that I could see progress, and I've gotten quite a few compliments lately, so hopefully there will be some measureable difference?

Kaylets, congrats on your flea market find! I love dishes myself, especially large plates and bowls. Once I become organized enough (I'm working on this!) to have a little more time, I'll start checking out the flea markets again. I love the offbeat things that you find for decorating accents- gives the home some personality!

Amarantha The Good, I do thank thee for the Halloween challenge, which I'll join when I take my next work break. I like the time span, because it seems like I could really get a goodly amount of poundage off by then. That's the plan! OH! We will be such sexy witches, queens, & nymphs & etc. by Halloween! I love Halloween in any case -- the way you can act out (or at least dress for!) your fantasies!

Happy Autumn Eydie! And WTG on getting through your Moon Challenge!

Punkin, thanks for sharing the story about your epiphany. These are such powerful experiences, aren't they! I've decided recently to stop kidding myself about not having time for things, because I waste so much time without even enjoying it. My new motto is: I have enough time. But I do not have time to waste!

Let's make this a good one! Love to all!

Last edited by Arabella; 09-23-2002 at 08:50 AM.
Closed Thread