Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #1  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

Height: 5'3"

Default What if my "goal" is still "fat"?

Not really sure what to title this, but I figured that was as good as any.

So, I'm 5'2", and I have set a goal weight for myself of 170. At my height, this weight still puts me in the (obese, overweight? idk) category- so is it bad that I don't care? I mean, I lost all the way down to 180-ish a few years back and I felt GREAT about myself. I'm very curvy and liked the way I looked.

I know people who are a little shorter than me and weigh around 130, and IMHO, it looks sooooo tiny- and not how *I* want my body to look. (No offense to anyone that size, it's just not for ME)

Is there anyone else here who doesn't care so much about the charts and just wants to look their best, and still be a little on the overweight side?

TIA
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 PM   #2  
It's OK to be hungry

S/C/G: 297/T/170

I just saw that I have my goal there << listed as 180, but I'm still pushing for the 170 range lol (not to confuse anyone- maybe I should go change that real quick lol)
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #3  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

At 170, you'll have lost more thsan 100 pounds!!! No one can tell you that's bad! It's your body, lose the weight that you feel is an attainable goal and will make you feel healthy and happy.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:26 PM   #4  
Mrs. Brady

S/C/G: 283/259/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm in that club. Currently my goal is listed as 160, which is the smallest I've ever weighed as an adult. But it would still be "overweight" according to the charts... and furthermore, things have changed since I weighed that. I'm no longer 18, I've given birth to three babies, I'm diabetic, I've been around the block a few times. Who's to say I can even get back down to that weight? Maybe 180 is more realistic. I could even carry 200 and not look bad, although most people would still class me as "fat" at any of these weights.

Your ideal weight depends on your bone and muscle structure, and a hundred other things I don't even know about. Get where you're happy and healthy, and to heck with where anyone else says you should be.
LovebirdsFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey, get there and see how you feel!

It's all good!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

I think it's good to be realistic, this is coming from someone - ie me - who relapsed and gained weight back. At one point it was a game to see how skinny I could get, I was down to a size 7 again about three years ago and was starting to get almost too thin even for my own liking, my clothes were hanging. I threw out my size 9-10 etc clothes and shouldn't have because really I'm fine as a size 10-12, it's fine for my height. I don't need to be model thin and perhaps trying to get too thin sets us up for failure, it's hard to maintain as you get older. In my 20s it was easy to be super thin and eat anything. Now I can't. Anyways I see many here who set mini goals, and as you lose you'll know more about what your "happy weight" is, maybe you don't even know now. It seems that 5 lbs at a time is a good goal - now and then looking at the larger picture.
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My goal and maintenance weight is "overweight" according to BMI, but I strongly believe it's a healthy, sustainable weight for me (and my body agrees), so I try not to worry so much about the charts.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #8  
little by little

S/C/G: 220/215/150

Height: Five foot two

What is most important about the weight loss journey is that you set your goals based on what is right for you. My goal weight is 150 pounds and I am also five foot two. At one point in my life I was quite small (92 pounds) and even when I gained weight and was 130 pounds I still looked awful-- eyes sunkin in eyes, sickly appearance, etc) I looked the best at around 150. And I'm going to be be doing cardio and weight listing to make sure I'm toned. So what if 150 pounds isn't what someone says I should make my goal weight-- it is my ideal goal weight. I'm overall working to be healthy, working on eating right, eating clean, and getting excercise.

My point is that you need to do what is right for YOU! And you are doing that-- and for the weight you've lost so far, You are AWESOME!
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

It's all about health. If you get there and all your other numbers are good, go with it. I want a healthy waist, healthy BP and I want to feel good. If all those things are in check, I'm happy.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #10  
eratosthanes

S/C/G: 297/273/170

Height: 5'5"

I am in the category of having a "fat" goal, according to BMI and general opinion, but if my body fat percentage was 29% at 208, my goal should certainly put me in the right range. Like everyone else has said, find out where YOU feel comfortable, and where YOU think you look good.

"Just lose weight till you feel great!" (though I suppose that could be taken to an extreme, lol)
eratosthanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

I agree with the other posters - it's your body, so you set whatever you goal you want for it! There's also nothing wrong with working to that goal, and once you're there, you're just as free to say "hey, maybe I'll lose a couple more" as you are to say "woot, I'm at my goal - this is awesome!"

The most important thing for me about setting goals regarding weight loss is whether or not I'll be able to maintain. It's infinitely better for your body to lose to a point that's still considered overweight on a BMI chart and then maintain it steadily in a healthy way than to diet, regain, diet, regain, diet, regain over and over again.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #12  
is determined!

S/C/G: 208/194.5/130

The keyword here is 'My' ... 'MY goal'. Only you can determine what you are and are not comfortable with/willing to do. So set YOUR goal and work towards it.
evoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #13  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

My goal weight is pretty much still overweight and I dont really care about the charts either lol, I liked me at about 180 as well and since Im pretty curvy and solid its ok. As long as I am not 2 something. I personally cant see myself going below 165 but once I get to 180 I guess I will see.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

My goal for the first 70-100 pounds was just to stick to it. I had no goal "weight" for months...my goal was to not give up. One day, (and pound) at a time.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 241/223/160

Height: 5'4"

Here, too. My set goal of 160 is in the overweight BMI range.

But given the fact that I'm ahem, way over 40 and to be "not overweight" in BMI terms, I have to weigh 145 - and I haven't weighed 145 in over 15 years - and I was "thin" and wearing a size ten & two piece bathing suits when I weighed 150 - 160 in my forties - yes, I will be happy at 160 lbs.

And most likely in a much better state of health than I am now.

Progress not perfection.
Mariella is offline   Reply With Quote