Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 328/276/140

Height: 5'4"

Default It's that time of year - seasonal cravings anyone??

Alright, so one thing about sticking to this journey is becoming so much more self-aware about what works and doesn't work, strengths and weaknesses and behaviour and loss patterns.

I've been struggling badly the last few weeks with gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds mostly due to giving in to the relentless homemade baked goods colleagues bring into the office.

This wasn't a problem before - even during the holidays.

Now I'm realizing that over the years I haven't really gained slowly and surely a bit at a time over the years - it's mostly been in bursts AT THIS TIME OF YEAR and into early spring - massive carb cravings.

What's up with that? Anyone else experience this? Is it winter blahs?
Boomcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I know how you feel. It used to be really bad for me when I worked in a warehouse with no windows, go to work in the dark, go home in the dark.

It's not as bad now, I still work inside, but we have windows and I get to go outside some.

I think this time of year our bodies just need sunshine! I can't wait for spring and more sunshine and daylight!

Check out seasonal affective disorder. (SAD) See if your symptoms fit. It does for me.

I know it makes me feel like a bear trying to stock up for hibernation.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/156/145

Height: 5 ft. 4 inches

I think Wintertime is harder because we crave more 'Comfort Foods'! Not having as much sunshine in Wintertime also affects us. We know too that we can hide under sweaters & coats........come Summertime there's not that much hiding for us to do! Let's just try to do the Best we can!
llmw1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 AM   #4  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

Pasta is my winter weakness. And soup, of course. During the cold months, I always seem to want hot heavy carb loaded foods (oh, and pizza. ) Realitistically, because I calorie count, I can have both in moderation but I really have to watch the salt intake with these 2 items. And I'm still learning moderation
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I am carb-tastic just now...

Ciabattas, paninis... anything. *sigh*
yossarianlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/151/118

Height: 5'7

I get some SERIOUS carb cravings in the winter, and cravings for comfort food in general.. especially around now when the season is sooo dragged out. I've been trying to conquer this by making healthy versions of comfort foods. Last night, for example, I made a light version of a turkey reuben sandwich from a recipe I found, and grilled it up in my george forman, and made a batch of homemade sweet potato fries. The whole thing came out to 500 calories and totally satisfied my cravings! I couldn't believe I was eating something healthy. Also been making lots of lightened up versions of casseroles, healthy pasta dishes with lots of protein and veggies. It's been making it so much easier for me to stick to plan by accommodating my cravings than during other winters past where I tried to avoid carbs and anything resembling comfort food.. and ultimately caved and gave up by february. Think of the specific kinds of foods you crave, then search around the internet for low-cal versions and get creative in the kitchen!
AutumnSky is offline   Reply With Quote