Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/147/115

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Gah! Snickers Bar!

I feel horrible! I started the day right with a cup of 2% milk and a 90 calorie granola bar. In class I started to fall asleep so I ate a snickers bar for a sugar boost, now it's lunch time and I feel horrible. I've had past problems with anorexia and I want to lose the weight the right way this time. Tell me it's okay to eat lunch, just something light. I feel like a bad panda. Stupid Tiredness.

-panda
angrypanda221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's OK to eat lunch. You don't even have to make it light! A 90 calorie granola bar and a cup of 2% milk isn't a lot of calories with which to start your day. No wonder you were tired! Yes, a full-size Snickers has around 280 calories, but you are still only around 500 before lunch.

So unless you have an unrealistic, low calorie target, lunch should be fine.

Try planning a little better for breakfasts and snacks--get some protein in there, too!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 159/147/115

Height: 5'4"

Red face thank you

Thanks, I sometimes give myself unrealistic goals because I am supposed to have a 1,000 calorie a day diet, I think, for my goal. But I do need more protein. Maybe a Grilled Chicken breast? Thank you again.

-panda
angrypanda221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #4  

Please eat more. 1200 cals is about the minimum I've seen recommended on these board even for women with less to lose, and the average is probably more in the 1300-1600 range.

Unless you are superwoman, it will be extremely hard to stick to something when you are miserable. When you are hungry and you have been eating healthy food it is usually a sign that you need to eat. SO EAT!

Just make sure you are putting healthy food in your mouth.

1300 calories a day of healthy food is FAR better than 1000 calories of misery for several days followed by a 2000 calorie binge on the whole bag of mini snickers
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9

Quote:
I am supposed to have a 1,000 calorie a day diet
If you've been on that diet for a few days, that could very well be while you felt so bad this morning- your body is telling you it needs more fuel, stat.

I plugged the info from your profile into a calorie intake calculator...if you're exercising 3x a week (I just selected the middle option) it recommended anywhere from 1240-1600 calories a day. Just something to think about.

Also, I agree with Randomcards: "1300 calories a day of healthy food is FAR better than 1000 calories of misery for several days followed by a 2000 calorie binge on the whole bag of mini snickers"
OneStepAtATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You really need to eat more protein- and your breakfast should be at least 200-300 calories to get your body going. I wouldn't go with less than 1200 calories a day, more if you are working out. On days I don't work out I'm around 1300-1500, days I do workout I eat more like 1600 calories a day.

If I don't eat protein for breakfast I'm starving by the time lunch comes around. I usually eat a hard boiled egg, one sandwich thin and one laughing cow wedge. I make it like my own breakfast sandwich and it's about 215 calories, 13 grams of protein, 24 grams of carbs, 8 grams of fat, and 5 grams of fiber.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #7  

why wouldnt it be ok to eat lunch???
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Eat your normal lunch today. Regardless of whether this puts you above plan or on plan or whatever. You do not cure a sugar rush from junk food by eating less to compensate. You cure it by eating real food in normal amounts and acting like it never happened.

Then you try to figure out why it happened and fix it so it doesnt happen again. (i.e. granola bars are almost pure sugar so likely to cause sugar cravings)

Having said that. 1000 calories is VERY low. If you do for some reason NEED to be on a 1000 calorie plan (we have had from time to time people who that was medically necessary) then every calorie needs to count and be REAL food not processed foods with the nutrients stripped away. There quite frankly isnt room for granola bars in a 1000 calorie diet.

But if anorexia is in your past and you are looking for the right way, I would encourage you to eat more, & maybe meet with a dietician or nutritionist who can help you plan. 1000 is very low to be considered "the right way" and should not be done without medical supervision

Last edited by ennay; 02-08-2010 at 01:41 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #9  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Also for next time, bring some sliced apple and cheese, or a measured portion of nuts, or a boiled egg - anything dense with nutrients - with you to class. That way if you start to feel your energy flagging you'll have an alternative to that Snickers bar.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: 242/201/155

Height: 5'9"

I wouldn't worry about one Snickers. Five or six, maybe, but not just one. You still have all day to get some exercise in and eat right for the rest of the day. Definitely don't skip meals, that will only lead more binging.

Good luck with your journey.
Hades Handmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote