Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-07-2010, 02:26 PM   #1  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Exerciseophobia :)

This post is probably not unique in any way. But I'm still really struggling with working out.

I. HATE. IT.

Loathing is an understatement. I hate being sweaty, I hate being sore, and most importantly- I'm scared. I have Patellofemeral Syndrome. I was diagnosed at 12. Which provides me with a ton of limitations. The big ones are basically, I cannot squat or run or put any sort of resistance/inclination on a stationary bike, ellipitcal trainer, or treadmill.

I've tried the C25K program before and that ended horribly. I almost had to go on crutches for a few days because the swelling and pain was getting so intense. I've tried water aerobics and the pressure from the water pushes on my knee cap (which easily dislocates) and it is painful and gives me a panic attack from fear of dislocation.

I've been in and out of physical therapy for over 10 years, so I continue with the stretching and the recommended exercises. The level of my condition is a little too bad for physical therapy to "fix" but not so bad that it requires surgery.

I get bored easily so I try to switch treadmill/elliptical/bike every 15 min. I've tried yoga, but they have a lot of the Warrior poses which I cannot do.

Anyone else have PFS or bad knees and can help me try to find some new works outs or at-home DVDs that would be good?

So basically.. my dilemma is- how do you work out without using your legs
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 164.4/158/150

Height: 5'10.5''

Edited

Last edited by LolaBlue; 01-07-2010 at 02:51 PM.
LolaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Personally, I am a huge fan of exercising and I am considering professional bodybuilding. That being said...

You don't HAVE to exercise in the traditional sense if you don't want to or can't. Have you considered non-traditional methods such as just walking around the mall with friends, walking a trail, helping out the SPCA by working with the animals, etc? Just to get moving?

As for just upper body, there are plenty of strength training exercises that can be done without using the lower body. Check youtube.com for these terms:

dumbbell press
seated dumbbell press
bicep curls
concentration curls

those are just a few...
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #4  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Walk Away the Pounds DVD's are very low impact (but might get boring). Like a PP said, you don't need to do "traditional exercises". A friend and I used to do laps around the mall in the winter and laps around a scholl track in the summer. It was fun, b/c we chit chatted the whole time.

Gardening can be fun... if you are just doing little flower pots and raised beds (as opposed to digging up a huge patch for a big garden)

Vacuuming (and other chores) is good exercise, too! Just getting up and moving is the key!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #5  
I can do it!

S/C/G: 245/218/145

Height: 5'3"

would callanetics help? I find it wonderful. It's lots of tiny small movements without any jumping around. It's really hard actually! I lost 11 inches after doing the hour long video 10 times - without any dieting! I really should get up from my computer and go and do it now....
beescwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #6  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

I've never heard of Callanetics but I like the idea of losing 11 inches!!! If they have at home movies that'd be superb! I'm definitely going to check it out. Thanks!
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

What about less intense water activities, or using your legs less (or more carefully) in your water workout? I have very bad (arthritic) knees, and I use my legs less intensely, and more carefully than my upper body.

If you have a warm water pool in your area - you've got to try it, it's awesome (most doctors, and rheumatologists and bone & joint doctors, especially would know if there's a warm water program in your area).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

ETA - missed the part about PT, keep doing that obviously!

Work your upper body (cardio boxing is a great potential exercise when you can't use your LB at all) and try to get more help with the knee. Losing weight will make a big difference as well.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #9  
I can do it!

S/C/G: 245/218/145

Height: 5'3"

There are callanetics videos - just google it! My teacher is in the newest one actually, which is really weird for me! I was doing the classes when I lost the 11 inches. I don't think I'd have worked myself as hard at home, but that's probably just me... Good luck! Let me know how it goes
beescwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

As uncomfortable as it might feel at first you might want to check out "senior" classes. Many of the instructors have ways to modify even for people wheelchair bound.

Also search for wheelchair workout or chair workouts. I know there are DVD's out there. My friend also bought a used nordictrak off craigslist cheap (the 1990's version) and sits and just runs the arms with high resistance.

Then you can add whatever legs you CAN do to it.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Also...I dont know how good of a swimmer you are, but a fantastic legless workout is swimming with a pull buoy. Basically it is a styrofoam wedge you put between your legs to help float while you swim WITHOUT kicking. I did that after foot surgery one summer when the foot couldnt take even wiggling in the water. This ends up using the core a lot not just arms.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote