Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #16  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

something i like to look at to help me is searching in google for height weight photograph chart

it really helps when im losing motivations x
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #17  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Well, as your sister (and thankfully your older, out of the house sister), I know it's hard. Mom over-compensates for all the things she can't do for us by cooking and BAKING. It's her way of showing love. And maybe, in a way, we feel guilty as **** (notice I don't come over often? The reason is I'm honest with myself and know that I can't resist her as much as I need to yet! I am only on Month 7 of my lifestyle change as well! ) by "rejecting" the only thing she can really do for us and make herself feel good. She knows she shouldn't do that... but it's hard when you're as powerless feeling as she is in her life/lifestyle.

Remember when I gave up drugs in New Orleans? Do you remember how I did it?

I LEFT.

I got away from my dealers. I got away from all the bad influences around me... left behind the friends that were in as deep as I was. Because I knew that I did NOT have the strength to say no without first removing myself from the situation itself and temptations around me. Now, after years of abstaining and learning control again, I can easily be around that kind of stuff and say no... and be glad I'm saying no.

I kind of think that is that way it's going to have to be for you. You aren't in full control of your diet and what's around you (and when you're finally on your own next year, you really need to make sure you don't keep anything in your house that will tempt you! I STILL can't, for the most part) so you kind of have to make do, but without first learning to stay away from it, it's pretty darned hard.

But, do what you can, as I've been telling you. Maybe if you do like I do and allow yourself that ONE snack a day and be STRICT with yourself. You ate your snack... you're done. No more for today. By allowing yourself that one snack (and make sure it's a decent size... no cake sized piece of brownie or anything hehe), you're curbing the craving but setting a rule for yourself and sticking by it. It also helps you REALLY think about that one thing that you really want.... because once it's eaten for the day, that's IT.

Good luck kiddo... I know you can do it!

Last edited by starfishkitty; 12-11-2009 at 01:33 PM.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #18  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altari View Post
LoL. That's not what I meant at all.

Many people say "I can't eat this" or "That food is bad." Instead, I think, people should say, "I could eat this, but it's not good for my plan right now." It's a [not so] simple mindset change, like most of weight loss. Turn "I can't have this" into "I'm choosing not to have this right now."

Keeping that in mind, when I'm faced with what I "want and shouldn't have" I can make the decision if I really want it. Do I actually want to eat the cheesecake, or am I craving it because I always have it at this restaurant? If it's the latter, I can remind myself that there will be more cheesecake in the future, specifically for when I actually want it.
Ah! Got it. This line of thinking I'm on board with. Sorry I misunderstood!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #19  
TimeForAChange

S/C/G: 202/202/140

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I tell myself that i'm not going to eat mom's tuna cassarole (she made that last night..and today COOKIES bc of that party.. o.O) and that i'm going to have a salad and a yogurtwith walnuts ontop.. and she ends up dishing me up a whole WHOPPING plate of 300 calorie/cup of noodles and pasterized cheese and starchy peas..throws it in front of my face and says DIG IN! She won't even let me dish up my own plate so i can control my portion size... bleh!

Tho, it is her way of dishing up some love..ha! I feel guilty for not eating the food she slaves for in the kitchen for some odd hours. :S I'm not going to be able to do much until I'm in control of my own life, have a job, have access to a gym, and can buy my own food and make my own food choices! I can't wait till that day b/c i'm so itching to lose weight and be healthy! ^.^

I feel for mom and that she can't do much for us (having to do with dad..lack of money and a car.. >:|) She has to cook with what she's giving, and knowing dad (the pop,sugar,and chocolate man) he doesn't always buy healthy food and complains much about my "diet" food. All she can do is ask dad for ingredients and bake away with her love mixed in! Tho, she does TRY and make it as healthy as possible..she keeps bugging dad for whole grain bread,pasta, & flour. Also, more veggies and fruits. But the one thing she can't give up baking and she does that quite often.

THANKS! AND LOVE YOU!
HannahBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Hannahboo.

I can only tell you what works for me......and of course, you are describing a situation at home, with your mom and her cooking/baking, that is not an issue I have to deal with....and that needs to be factored in also.

But....as for me, I have never been able to have success or to stick to a diet unless I am strictly low-carbing. It's like the difference between night and day for me.....carbs beget carbs. If I eat bad carbs...I am constantly hungry and constantly craving....yet I stop eating those carbs and suddenly doing this diet is a piece of cake () for me. I've not cheated even ONCE since I started quite a few months ago. AND, there are plenty of sweets here (for my dad and my son)....that don't even remotely tempt me.

I'm also on the same page as many of the posters here wrote in their replies.....that I MUST have rules. I do think that part of this is simply my OCD and also a bit of magical thinking.....a sort of "I'm safe as long as I NEVER cheat...ie: the diet gods will reward me. I am quite comforted by the strict Atkin's rules and by having my Atkin's books here.

And lest anyone say this is a set-up for long-term failure....I did this back in the early 90's and kept the weight off for 10 years....until I was put on a medication that caused excessive weight gain....in 2005.

BUT...if you are anything like me (and I truly do think that I'm a classic carbohydrate addict)........low carbing may help you. It is SO much easier for me this way.....the constant hunger and the intense cravings are simply GONE. And I've not struggled one bit on this diet....as long as I stick to the carb restrictions.

Like I said, I have not cheated even ONCE......because really, nobody holds a gun to our heads and forces us to eat anything. It IS our choice whether to eat it or not. Sure, there are gonna be times when others encourage us or make us feel obligated to eat something off plan.....BUT, believe me, one CAN deal with these and not go off plan. We don't HAVE to eat anything we shouldn't. And for me, I NEVER make exceptions....because one would lead to two and two would lead to three......and *I* NEED strict rules. Not only that....but I also understand WHY these rules are working for me....which only reinforces why I need to strictly adhere to them and make NO exceptions.

So.....the bottom line here is that I can only tell you what is working for me. And if you are anything like me.....it might possibly work well for you. I know we are all different and what works for one person might not work for someone else.....but if what you're doing isn't working for you, IMO it's worth it to try something different.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Hun, you may not be dieting according to your food personality. What does this mean?

You tell ME I can not have something, and I become an obsessive little hoarder prone to binging on that ONE thing I can not have.

I am definitely part of the "everything fits in my plan" crew. Sometimes if I am looking at something, I really want...I go with the "just one bite". If it is at a party...totally maintainable...if I BUY A PACK...forget it. So I don't go out of my way to buy something I am really craving. What I do is buy it for someone else and ask for ONE...heh.

There are alot of negative connotations in your post. Fall of plan, failure, can't have this..

OH I lose weight on low carb diets too. I cut out sugar and all non organic food, and ate totally vegan..and lost 65 lbs eating food I love...but the sugar fiend in me went completely beserk...and I had a love affair with some nutty buddies one day, and never looked back.

Now, my diet is considered low glycemic with some high glycemic foods worked in for treats.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote