Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #1  
Hopeless but harmless

Height: 5'5"

Default I'm in for the long haul

As I've said elsewhere; I was totally demoralized when I found this forum last week. I honestly didn't know where to turn.
I am 59 and have yo-yo dieted for years: Every diet known to man! Yes I lose weight, but pile it straight back on again. My knees and ankles are dreadfully painful
Weighing in at a massive 18 stones and 5'5" tall, in desperation I went to my doctor expecting a lecture and a diet sheet which was nothing but salad.
Instead of that I got massive support and understanding and an explanation that I had completely messed up my metabolism. I was referred to the practice dietician and given a smashing diet regime, 3 healthy meals a day and a little exercise and they will see me every week on a Monday for a weigh-in
In the meantime, I was told to throw my scales away, and expect about a 2-3lbs loss a week. Healthy eating isn't a race, it is a life style and taking the weight off is a by-product of it, not the sole goal.
The relief I feel is amazing. My first weigh in is tomorrow (22nd) I've been told not to expect more than a pound this week because it was only week one. I honestly don't care. I feel that at long last, when I take a pound off it will stay off.
As I'm in for a very long haul, I'm sure I'll get down hearted at times but this forum is an inspiration and I know you will all pick me up again.
Thanks for listening. Dinky
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I love your attitude!! So many people on here have expected great losses their first week and while that does happen for some, not many see the holy 10 lb loss. I think setting yourself up to see no loss but just reveling in the changes you've made is an excellent way to start your journey.

Wishing you much success!!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #3  
Hopeless but harmless

Thanks ever so much for the encouragement. I'll let you know after the WI tomorrow. Somebody told me that every pound off, is 4lbs pressure off your knees so I'll be happy with just the 1.
I'm not the quickest or brightest on a computer, but from reading other posts I'm fairly sure that when I have been on her 20 days I can have something called a ticker. If I'm right its one of those things like you've got Sunnigummi. I expect/hope they come with instructions!
Old 11-22-2009, 07:54 AM   #4  

Dinky,

What a wonderful way of thinking! I am beginning to think the same -- losing weight slowly is the way to go -- quick fixes do not work -- i recently went on a medical 'diet' where i quit after a few weeks. Sure i lost weight those 3 weeks, but how could i eat like that the rest of my life??? Congrats to you for starting a sensible way of eating. by the way, what kind of diet is it that you are on? Good luck!
3meows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/150/145

Height: 5'7"

Well done on your excellent start. I started out around the same weight as you and I wanted you to know how fantastic my hips, knees and ankles feel now that I'm seven months in. I've got loads of energy and I honestly can't imagine going back to feeling the way I did before, which is what I remind myself every time I'd tempted to reach for a delivery menu.
Trudiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #6  

Hang in there, Dinky!

I am so glad you got such support from your doctor rather than lectures and admonitions. That will go a long way in helping you achieve your goals.

It is indeed a long-term commitment. I'm 58, and although I've always known it to be true, I believe this is the first time I've ever truly internalized it. I've been on plan 11 weeks today, and as you can see I've had a 14.2 lb weight loss. Averaging it out that's a bit more than a pound a week, the type of slow but steady progress that is absolutely critical for maintaining a weight loss.

You'll also discover that your weight loss will fluctuate quite a bit; I made a decision to weigh myself every Sunday morning when I get up. Last week I only had a .2 lb weight loss; this week it was 2.0! It all evens out in the end. I had the bulk of my weight loss in the first month, which I think is pretty typical. You may experience that as well. The important thing to remember is that when the weight loss slows to a crawl (and I can assure you it will) that this is normal.

I also cannot emphasize enough the importance of exercise. You may be limited at first as to how much you can do, but I think it's vital that you commit to doing something. Because something is always better than nothing.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #7  
Hopeless but harmless

FIRST WEIGH IN

3lbs off! I would have been happy with just the one. I had a session with the dietician… No food is bad food; it is the way we eat it that’s bad. My life mantra should now be ‘everything in moderation and moderation in everything’

I can't begin to tell you how lovely it is to here from other people just the same as me, and taking it as slowly as me
Thank you all so much
Old 11-23-2009, 08:21 AM   #8  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Wonderful!! Congrats on your 3 lb loss!! I always keep my expectations low, that way no matter what kind of loss it is (0.1 or 1 lb), I'll be happy. Hehe.

Yes, you are correct, in 20 days and with 20 posts you can have your very own ticker! It's really easy. You can either use the one here on 3fatchicks (go to Quick Links at the top and select "Sig Weight tracker". I chose tickerfactory.com because it's easier to edit. I just click on the ticker in my sig, put in my password and change one number whereas with the 3FC ticker, I had to reselect my band, my ticker placer and the numbers.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #9  

Way to go, Dinky! Congratulations!

Your dietician is absolutely right. When I last met with mine, we talked about this very same thing. I made the comment that, as cliche as it sounds, and as often as we hear it, the fact is that in the end, it's all about portion control.

Keep up the good work!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:33 AM   #10  
Hopeless but harmless

We have to go out to dinner with some friends on Saturday. For the first time whilst trying to lose weight I'm not worried. My dietician told me that I am only human and if I set too unattainable goals then I will fail. I'm to live my life, forget about dieting, eat sensibly and the weight will come off. If I eat a bit too much at holiday times etc so what? Get back on my life style change and I'll lose the weight. She’s right isn’t she? Looking back I now realize that doing some of these fad ‘ lose weight quick’ diets I was bound to fail because it was unrealistic to keep on them for life and that was the only way they would have worked. Not only that they were blinking expensive
Old 11-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #11  
I'm fat.

S/C/G: 260.8/see ticker/145

Height: 5"6

Dinky, I'm so proud of you! We have very similar stats, and it's cool to someone around my figure being so motivated and doing so well. You sound very happy, and I think that happiness and satisfaction with the slow weight loss will keep you committed to the cause!

You are so sensible; and that's awesome. When I weighed in at 250.9 lbs, I almost immediately thought of types of diets where you can lose 20 pounds in 20 days. I realize, though, that's silly and not a long term solution. We've got to be in this for the rest of our lives, so we can feel good and be healthy.

Congrats on doing so well.
BoobsNotBombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I love your attitude. I so, SO completely agree with you on weight following healthier choices. I have three sisters sick with M.S. and breast cancer. I wasn't happy w/the way I looked but I knew I MUST do something (everything actually) to get healthy, be healthy, feel healthy and STAY healthy. My weight has followed. I love making myself my NUMBER ONE priority. As a result of that, I am able to better help everyone in my life--my hubby, my kids, my school, my community, etc. I am learning how to be a blessing to those around me and an asset--instead of a depressed, unhealthy burden.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #13  
sucker for candy corn

S/C/G: 186/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on your new way of thinking and on your three pound loss!
Civakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #14  
Hopeless but harmless

I tried to get on here a couple of days ago and kept getting a 'busy, try later' message. It made me realize how important all you girls are to me. Your stories are inspirational and your messages keep me going.
I am the very devil with biscuits (cookies) Give me a digestive and I've got to eat the packet...'Oh just one more then' I've made contingency plans in case I get a craving.
We have a breakfast cereal here called Malties. They are like little squares of crispy malt. I've allowed myself a small handful of those with a cup of tea when I feel the urge for a biscuit.
Went out to dinner last night, I don't think I did much damage and I really enjoyed myself. I'd far rather do that than shut myself away at home and then fall off the wagon because I was setting unrealistic goals.
I'm not saying I'll never have another buscuit but I don't want to be tempted just yet.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 AM   #15  
Be happy.

Hello Dinky, congratulations on your new lifestyle! I look forward to reading about your steady progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnigummi View Post
Yes, you are correct, in 20 days and with 20 posts you can have your very own ticker! It's really easy. You can either use the one here on 3fatchicks (go to Quick Links at the top and select "Sig Weight tracker". I chose tickerfactory.com because it's easier to edit. I just click on the ticker in my sig, put in my password and change one number whereas with the 3FC ticker, I had to reselect my band, my ticker placer and the numbers.
Sunnigummi, your ticker looks great.
Did you know that with the 3FC tickers you just go to your user CP, choose signature and change the number of your current weight? It just takes a few seconds to edit them that way.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote