Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Protien Powders

So, I've been told many times I need some protien right after a workout, In 2 years of doing this, this has been real hard for me, cause I don't like to eat a lot after a workout. Someone mentioned to try some protien powder or make a shake, so my question is what is a good brand, and have you noticed a difference in weight loss with it?
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I've heard conflicting info and that you need more carbs after a workout..

Anyway, I like Optimum Nutrition's Gold whey, it's reasonably priced for the amount of servings and tastes good. I usually make a smoothie with some fruit after a workout with it so I get the carbs.

I count it in with my calories and I do lose weight with it since I usually drink it after working out, which means I exercised and burned some calories!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #3  
Workin' It

Same as ringmaster, ON Gold Standard Whey, Vanilla Ice Cream flavor because it has no Splenda in it. I also get the ON Natural Vanilla, also no Splenda. My weight loss increased a little when I started drinking it actually, though that was probably because my exercise increased at the same time. It is 120-130 calories per serving so you definitely have to count it. I make smoothies with the whey, lf or ff yogurt, skim milk, sometimes OJ, banana and frozen fruit, varies depending on the mood. Sometimes I do peanut butter, chocolate and banana.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 AM   #4  
Graceful Loser

At GNC, we sell a lot of Optimum Nutrition - people really seem to like the taste. Isopure has a protein powder with no carbs, but I don't know how it tastes. Also, GNC brand proteins aren't too expensive and offer a lot of servings for what you pay.

Protein is a trial and error thing. I recommend checking out your nearest GNC and looking at their markdowns. You can usually get some really, REALLY cheap protein.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #5  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

I use this Optimum Natural 100% Whey Gold Standard (chocolate). It is rated one of the best in the market. I bought it from GNC and I found a 20% coupon for the store online. It came out to be pretty reasonable priced. Amazon also carries is.

All whey proteins, IMO, have a smell and taste problem and some more than others. I also tried ProCell and I gagged from the smell. Optimum protein, also has a smell, but it is less overwhelming and it has very less aftertaste. I have used it in plain water and in shakes/smoothies. I can tolerate this one.

There are lots of protein powders available now in the market, make sure you do your research. A lot of them have added crap or sugars which IMO defeats the purpose.

HTH

Last edited by pintobean; 09-25-2009 at 08:54 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #6  

I usethe standard vitamin shoppe brand. It's the cheapest, has little carbs and fat, and tastes good. If you are tryingto lose weight a powder like this would be the best. If you are trying to gain weight, a protein shake with much more sugar, carbs and fat would be better for muscle growth after a workout.
damondietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #7  
sugar is the devil

I would also recommend Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold Standard! It comes in many flavors which actually taste good and this brand is very highly rated.
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote