Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

Default hmm thinking of trying someting new.. but unsure of how to get started...

Hi everyone... I have been thinking alot about high protein and how it does seem to help get the weight off.. but I do not want to go strictly high protein as I know the importance of good carbs and how dangerous that can be to your body as a whole(organs n such) as well as how easy it is to gain it all back afterward... but I am thinking of maybe cycling higher protein days.. like having 2 regular days then do a day of high protein and minimal carbs...? I dunno.. what do you all think..? Has anyone else ever tried anything like this and if so how should I go about it?..
Cape Breton Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You might be interested in reading about food combining. This isn't a strictly a weight loss strategy; it puts meals together based on what's in them. So, for example, you may eat a mainly carb meal, or you may eat a protein/fat meal, but you don't have carbs with proteins and vice versa. This strategy is very helpful if you have any digestive problems.

Try checking at your library for books and tapes that explain different food approaches--there is a lot more to learn than can be summarized in a post!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm not an expert and I don't prescribe to fad dieting but I can tell you that high protein low carbs is what seems to be best for me. I would never do an atkins type program (because I have in the past and the results always lead to disaster) but I exercise restrained portions of carbs. I think about every carb I'm going to eat and try to limit them. I also try really hard to avoid useless carbs like white bread, sugar, sweets, and stick to real carbs like whole wheat, sweet potatoes, etc. If I feel a mini plateau coming on I'll lay off carbs for a day or 2. It works for me.

Whatever you do just make sure you're not eliminating entire food groups and that the program you're on is something you can really DO forever. This is a lifestyle change and it doesn't do you any good to vow never to eat a potato again.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #4  

Exactly WannabeSkinny .. thank you I think you worded what I wanted better then I did.. lol I do not eat any white flour, heavy wheat anything,, my pastas are all gluten free pasta or egg noodles(in chicken soup..lol) I eat multigrain breads and stuff like that and I do not want to take them out of my diet.. but be better at limiting my intae of them in propotion to proteins..I guess what I would like to do is figure how to incorp. more protein... I know that people say to not have more then 3oz. of meat in a meal.. but I wonder if I added even an extra ounce kind of thing... How do you get more protein? could you give me a kind of example maybe of a day?

Last edited by Cape Breton Chick; 09-05-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

We're not suppose to have more than 3 oz of meat? Does that include chicken because I have 4oz every night
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #6  

See...? yea I don't now if that is exactly accurate but I have heard it many times that a serving of meat is 3oz. but yea.. I don't see how a lil extra of the right kind ( not fried n breaded n all that junk) could be bad right?..
Old 09-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I lose best on lower carb diets, also. I have to say that cycling low carb days with signifcantly higher carb days, doesn't work well for me. I find that an increase in carbohdryate level, also increases water retention, which makes it seem like I've gained weight the day after a higher carb day. Increasing carbohydrate foods (even "good ones") also often increases cravings and hunger which make it difficult to stay on plan. I'm still trying to find the ideal carbohydrate level that is low enough to control hunger and yet high enough to prevent low blood sugar symptoms (I'm prediabetic).

I'm not trying to discourage you. I think that any sensible change that you can see yourself making, is worth a shot. Experiment with different macronutrient combinations pr levels, either as a whole or by cycling, but if you do notice water retention cycles or hunger spikes, adjust as you find it best. Even if they occur, you may be better able to deal with the effects than I have been.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #8  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Breton Chick View Post
See...? yea I don't now if that is exactly accurate but I have heard it many times that a serving of meat is 3oz. but yea.. I don't see how a lil extra of the right kind ( not fried n breaded n all that junk) could be bad right?..

I don't think it would be bad, no.

I just checked my sparkpeople thingy and it shows my protein for this past week ranging from 92-117. Now, if this is good, bad, enough, etc..I haven't a clue but I am going with it for now until I hit a full on plateau or wall then I will see what happens from there.

Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us updated
Old 09-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #9  

Yea Onederchic I use Spark as well and I thin I will just have to keep track better there, so far was just using it to get use to the calorie counting thing but now I will go input all of the other values as well...
kaplods, I don't thin I explained myself or train of thought well at all.. lol I would never do a "high" carb day .. I just meant lie a regular kind of day for me which is not low carb just morderate... I am leery of doing something ..anything. unhealthy, that's why I posted the idea here to get feedback and to see if anyone else does this the way I want to try.. the healthy way which for me is never high carb.. lol I just think I need to learn how to get more protein...

Last edited by Cape Breton Chick; 09-05-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I think the best way to get in more protein is to be sure to include some of it at EACH meal and snack. Cottage and other cheese, no fat yogurt, eggs for breakfast. Turkey breast, chicken, tuna or other fish for lunch. Same for dinner. Then there's beans & soy products. Nuts (go easy with these, they're caloric)

I eat lots of carbs - but strictly (with the exception of 1/2 cup of Fiber one cereal daily) from veggies and fruits. I don't even do well on whole grain carbs. And then of course there's the proteins. For me, it works VERY well. Very, very well in fact.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-05-2009 at 11:22 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I am one of those who has vowed 'never to have a potato again' and I'm doing just fine without them.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #12  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
I don't think it would be bad, no.

I just checked my sparkpeople thingy and it shows my protein for this past week ranging from 92-117. Now, if this is good, bad, enough, etc..I haven't a clue but I am going with it for now until I hit a full on plateau or wall then I will see what happens from there.

Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us updated
Honey Girl, you've lost 139-140 something pounds? I'm thinking you are doing something right. Go on and eat your 4 oz's of chicken!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #13  
Resident Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Honey Girl, you've lost 139-140 something pounds? I'm thinking you are doing something right. Go on and eat your 4 oz's of chicken!

Haha, I ♥ you
Old 09-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #14  
The spangled kind

S/C/G: 225/135/135

Height: 5'4"

Recently I've let my weight creep up over my maintenance comfort level. As I've been working to get those pounds off, I've also been making a real effort to up my protein intake. For breakfast at the moment I'm eating an open-faced egg sandwich of sorts. Egg beaters with two tofu sausages patties crumbled in, over toasted high fiber bread or english muffin. The sausage patties are 80 calories total, with 11 grams of protein. I mix some plain greek yogurt into the egg beaters before cooking and spread more yogurt on the bread, which gives me another 5 or so grams of protein without adding too many calories. The egg beaters are only 30 calories and have 6 grams of protein. So depending on the protein content of the bread I use, my (very filling) breakfast is between 250-300 calories and has 25-30 grams of protein.

Quinoa is a high protein grain, and if you cook it with chicken broth instead of water, you can sneak in even more protein. I often fry quinoa like you would rice, with whatever veggies you like, plus fake meat crumbles, egg beaters, and soy sauce. The fake meat and egg beaters are relatively low-calorie sources of protein, which is why I typically use them instead of the real thing. And even the soy sauce adds protein (and a lot of sodium, which luckily isn't a problem for me). For snacks I often spread a wedge of Laughing Cow light cheese over a few slices of deli meat. That usually ends up around 100 calories and is almost all protein.

And for the record, I don't see a problem with having more than 3 ounces of meat per meal. Maybe that "rule" was being offered as a way to help with portion and calorie control. But I can't see why it would be affirmatively bad to have more than that at a meal. Lots of people have had long-term success on Atkins and other high-protein plans. I would imagine they frequently eat more than 3 oz. of meat at a meal.
Cotinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #15  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Cape Breton Chick, I do well keeping my carbs below 150g's and just this week I've tried dropping that down a teeny bit more because I'm strugglin' with High Blood sugar. I've lost 3 pounds this week.

Anyhoo, good luck to ya!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote