Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #16  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingSince01 View Post
Posting this message and getting all your advice was one of my hurdles, doesn't it suck to admit you have a problem you can't necessarily deal with on your own?
No, it doesn't suck, I would say it is a huge step forward! In order to deal with a problem you first have to admit that it exists, admit it to yourself.
Then when you reach out to others, especially others in the same boat, you will find a ready welcome, lots of friendship and good advice and the occasional much needed reality check or swift kick in the booty.
So keep it coming, girl!
And keep coming here to this site, We are all here for ya!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:56 PM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingSince01 View Post
Alright, I hear ya'll, and THANK YOU for the advice. I have to admit I initially got a bit defensive at some of the comments, especially Robin's, but the truth can bit of a hard pill to swallow and all in all you're right. I need to get back on the horse. I tracked my calories, ALL my calories down to the number of pieces of gum and I chewed and, to be honest, it really didn't work at the time. That was when I gained all the weight back. BUT that really is what is needed. Less calories in and a mindful and watchful eye. I really appreciate the ideas too. I think switching it up and trying some new things will really help me stick. I'm not quite to the full on commitment stage yet, but I'm on the path. I know that "trying isn't committing," but I think I just have a few more hurdles before I can get there. I’m going to try and move up my appointments and really challenge myself and the doctors to find the right medications for me and my lifestyle (maybe even none at all, I hope!) Posting this message and getting all your advice was one of my hurdles, doesn't it suck to admit you have a problem you can't necessarily deal with on your own?
The bottom line is that I'm I really think I can do this,….I mean I’m gonna do this and I have all your wonderful, experience filled advice coupled with a swift kick in the rear to get me moving. :-) So thanks, really, thanks(!), I needed this. :-) Good luck to everyone on their treks, trials, and tribulations, and let's start your engines!
I'm sorry. That's why I kinda warned you that there WAS tough love ahead.

Honestly, I had no way of knowing if you had consistently tried the calorie counting. But that wasn't my MAIN point.

My main point was to commit, fully, to find/seek/discover/delve/pursue ways to make this work.

I'm glad that you're going to try and experiment with different meds. We've all got our obstacles, and it sounds like you've got more then your fair share. But there IS something out there for you. I know it. I really, really know and believe it.

I also agree that it does not suck to reach out for help. Weight loss is one of the most difficult thing in the world. And you've got this whole community behind you. So please, don't hesitate to keep on reaching out.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #18  
Baby Stepping Along

You've gotten lots of good advice and it sounds like you're taking it to heart. I did want to mention a few other suggestions.

1. When you are speaking with your doc treating the IBS, see if they will prescribe a few visits with a registered dietician. They could help you find a good balance of foods for IBS control combined with weight management. I personally have heard lots of really bad nutrition advice from MD's (really not a strong part of their training) so I would not rely solely on their nutrition advice.

2. I wanted to second the idea that November is too far away. Find another doctor or insist that you get an appointment sooner. That's insane for an established patient unless he/she expressly said they wanted to try the current protocol for that long. Regardless, at least a phone consult should be reasonable.

3. Many health insurance plans offer health coach type programs for chronic health conditions like yours. It might be worth exploring that to see if someone can help you coordinate your care. Medical care is so complex, it can really help to have someone in your corner.

4. What can you do about the job stress? Sounds like your body really isn't up to the task of this job in its current state. Can you reduce hours, change job duties, change jobs??? What can YOU do and ask for to make things better for yourself. I'm not sure how old you are but it sounds like you may be early in your career so I will encourage you not to be a doormat. Do NOT sacrifice your health for a job. There are more important things in life. They can be big, scary changes but you don't want to sacrifice your body for your job.

You'll notice I said little about weight loss. It seems to me like you've got the cart before the horse here. You need to get your health concerns managed effectively before worrying too much about dropping pounds. Of course, eat healthy, get a walk now and again but I really believe that if you do the things to help manage your health concerns, the weight issue will either solve itself as a result or will be much easier to manage then.

HTH! Take good care of yourself and keep posting. You can work this out!

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 170/167/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Hello again. :-) Wow! I answer and the advice keeps on coming....that is absolutely wonderful, thank you! I kind of feel like my last post might have stepped on some toes, like maybe Robin(?) and a few others, and if that's the case, first and foremost I want to apologize. I never meant for it to come across like that, I really do appreciate all the advice and the suggestions. In fact I counted my calories again yesterday and come to find out I ate 290 calories more that I thought I was, yikes!! So have I been very watchful and count in the past, yes, am I doing very well "winging" it now, no. I needed that reminder to get my behind in gear. :-)
The ideas are still great, I picked up some poster board yesterday to try my hand at "weight loss bingo," and I've been a long time member of Sparkpeople, as of last night I'm back in the zone to go there everyday and plug in my food. The pedometer is next on the list.
As for my medical problems, these ideas are fantastic as well. It's really nice to chat and get advice from people who have experience in the matter. I'm writing everything down and going to take it in to my appointments when I go. I'm sure I'll be their *favorite* new client, but oh well as long as I get the care I need, so be it. ;-) I'm still working on moving up the neuro appointment, but I'm sure it'll happen.
As for my job, yeah it's stressful, very stressful in fact, but I really don't think switching jobs would help that (great idea though). You see, I'm a veterinarian and I just graduated this past May. If that weren't enough, I then promptly moved from the West Coast to the East Coast where I don’t' have any family even close (they're all on the West Coast) and I have one friend who lives an hour and a half away. In hind-sight, this probably wasn't the smartest thing to do for my health, but I'm here and I do really like the area. So, I don't really think moving jobs would necessarily improve my stress level, I'm going to be a very nervous "newbie" wherever I go. :-)
Well, again, thanks for everyone's help and advice, I feel a lot more confident and I feel like I have a plan of action now, which is a great thing for me. It's so nice to talk with people who have similar issues and are either still trying and not giving up or succeeding in their goals, so kudos to everyone for their accomplishments, whichever they may be.
TryingSince01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I assure you, my toes were feeling completely fine - not stepped on in the least. I know how hard it is at times to get ones feelings down over the internet, both for the original poster and the one responding.

I'm so glad you've discovered,(rediscovered?) the calorie counting. It's a great tool! I think back to how I was living before, just leaving something so VITAL to my health (my food consumption) up in the air by not knowing what I was ingesting. Now it seems totally absurd.

I'm very excited for you as you are entering that "zone". This is an EXCITING time. Make it an adventure. It IS an adventure. It's a wonderful journey, not one to dread. But one to embrace and celebrate.

I look forward to hearing of your continued progress!

Oh and please, please, please stick around. This place is another great tool that's available to you - 24/7.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #21  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Popped in this morning for some motivation and this thread helped me too!

I don't have any medical issues, just lack of motivation and laziness.

I do have a thought about the headaches though. I would get allergy tested if you haven't, my Grandmother used to have horrid headaches that she thought were migraines. Turned out they were allergy driven. After she got her diet under control, the headaches ceased.

Since you are a veterinarian, you have all that great medical training, a lot of which can be applied to yourself, use it!

I'm also a big fan of organic and staying away from all the stuff you can't pronounce in processed foods. I do think it plays a big part in how we feel.

Now, to go take my own advice.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote