Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #16  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Some great suggestions!

For me: hot tea, pickles, or Tic Tacs. Also distracting myself with laundry, cleaning out a cupboard or something like that. I work from home so the kitchen is always calling!

Last edited by Fressca; 08-07-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #17  

I also wanted to mention that when I totally give up sugar, I don't get that feeling of wanting to eat when I'm not hungry. I'm working on quitting sugar again becuase it makes me feel really out of sorts.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #18  
Changing behaviours

Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
I also wanted to mention that when I totally give up sugar, I don't get that feeling of wanting to eat when I'm not hungry. I'm working on quitting sugar again becuase it makes me feel really out of sorts.
This ^^ is so true for me too. I've switched from calorie counting to South Beach, and don't have that always-wanting-to-eat feeling that I always had before. I can even feel hungry without getting frantic!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #19  

Height: 6'1

Gum helps me take my mind off the need to have food in my mouth. In fact, I chewing some right now because lunch is going to be a little later than usual for me.
shasha17a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #20  

I've recently learned about the 4-4-12 approach. 4 hrs btwn breakfast & lunch, 4 hrs btwn lunch and dinner, 12 hrs btwn last food and breakfast. It allows my body to get into the fat burning mode.
loverocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #21  
Becoming better overall

S/C/G: 199/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Warm tea.. breathing exercises to relax (if I'm stessed)
If I'm bored *my MAIN trigger to eat when I'm not hungry* then I try to clean or watch a movie or read.. sometimes it doesn't compare if the craving is really for something tasty, so if its something sweet, I'll have a teaspoonful of honey.. and I also squeeze lemon into water and the taste assuages whatever cravings I have.. sometimes I'll even dip a finger in ground up garlic if the craving is for something salty or zesty.. I know it sounds weird but it all works for me! Sometimes it is just the texture of something, and chewing gum helps with that.. or sugar free mentos! Of course, this always follows with water.

Last edited by Starrynight; 08-07-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

I have recently lost about 20 pounds with WW and my rules are - don't eat in front of the tv, don't eat in front of the computer, keep frozen grapes (for sweet), 100 cal packs of micro popcorn (for salty) or drink a cup of coffee or tea if my energy is lagging.

I have a three year old and I find that snacky feeling comes when I just want a BREAK to be alone, have a snack, and enjoy the silence (she's such a good kid but she never stops chatting!). Sometimes I can put off a snacky feeling by telling myself I'll have popcorn or grapes after she goes to bed - really I only have to save like two points for a satisfying quiet snack and it's something to look forward to at the end of the day.

Probably the best thing is to break that "eating because I'm bored' habit but right now I'll settle for taming it or making it managable!

And hello, this is my first post!
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

When I get the urge to eat something when I'm bored, I kill the problem at the source. I'll go an occupy myself with foreign language practice, I'll play with my pets, I'll read a book, watch a movie, etc. As long as the alternative is something interesting or involves a lot of concentration, voila- problem solved. If I'm REALLY bored and am not up for doing anything like that, I'll resort to looking at funny pictures online, lol.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote