Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #16  
Pretty Princess

Miso soup!! I bought a tub of miso from my local Asian grocery and some dried seaweed. Boil up some water, let it cool for 30 seconds, stir in miso and make sure it dissolves, add the seaweed and let it reconstitute, drink up! It's so good for you--lots of good stuff in that.
ifyernasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Or maybe I could skip chicken soup entirely.
Sure, why not? Didn't mean it literally...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #18  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I think my point is...most of us have enough issues with guilt eating. I quite clearly stated that on this particular day I did NOT feel any guilt. Quite the opposite actually.

So why the need to criticize? I ate very small portions of highly calorically dense, sodium and fat saturated food yesterday because yesterday that is what I needed. I've been ME long enough to know that on that kind of day...the kind where I would just as soon take sleeping pills so I could wake up in 2 or 3 days when the pain level comes back down to tolerable... the attempt to eat "healthy" leads to huge binges by evening - and the guilt from that can lead to days of binging.

Chicken soup (or whatever) might work if it was laced with high doses of narcotics, but since despite feeling like being hit by a truck would be a pleasant change I still have to take care of my children, the self-drugging with carbohydrates & fat is a safer strategy. (Food as drug...not a new concept, just a new application)

We used to have a thread around here about "what weight loss "rules" do you break". Most of the most successful people on here break some rules consistently.

Just to be ornery. I also reward weight loss with food. It works for me. There are some foods that I cant "fit in" to my plan and I save them for rewards. Works for me. Causes the diet guru's to freak out.

Last edited by ennay; 07-18-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: MT: cause I didnt realize that was a censored word and didnt want anyone thinking I called them something worse
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Well, obviously you can do whatever you like, but I still think that having a cold isn't an excuse for binge eating. It doesn't sound like you were binge eating anyway, ennay--perhaps that's where the confusion came in. It sounds like you know how much you ate--you weren't just off the rails stuffing down loaves of bread etc. without tracking...

And how is it working for you, ennay? Getting the results you want? Then that's great!

Jay
Old 07-18-2009, 02:41 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think we're seeing some ruffled feathers, chickies!

ennay, I hope you feel better soon! Do know there was some confusion -- your first couple of messages did make it sound a bit like you binged. Your first post noted that 'all bets are off' and your second you said you ate like crap and commented on the Chinese food. So, I think there was some concern about what you really meant. I think there is a difference between comfort food when sick and using sickness as an excuse to eat as much of anything you like. Only later you said you really didn't overeat or binge.

Let's all remember that it's hard to always convey our meaning adequately online!

Last edited by Heather; 07-18-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #21  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I think my main point remains. If a chickie feels no guilt then other chickies should not try to induce guilt. I actually regret clarifying that it wasnt a binge.

I would have been ok with a binge too. I've been sick for 7 days with a very high pain level the past 2 days , and I havent yet killed my children. Quite frankly anything that keeps me sane is ok by me.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

ennay -- I take your point. But you've been around long enough to know that sometimes when we post, we get all sorts of comments! And sometimes they aren't supportive of what we're feeling...

I do hope you're feeling better soon!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #23  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

and I have also been around long enough to see newer chickies go running when comments like that are made and never come back....

Am I personally offended? no. Grouchy as **** and ready to beat up anybody who might cross my path? yes.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

ennay! I hope you are feeling much better. Chinese food is yummy. I like to get the egg drop soup and put lots of green onions in it. I hope you enjoyed your night being pampered.

don't like chicken soup eh? lol..

That cream of rice sounds like Farina. (sp?) I used to eat it alot.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Well, obviously you can do whatever you like, but I still think that having a cold isn't an excuse for binge eating. It doesn't sound like you were binge eating anyway, ennay--perhaps that's where the confusion came in.
Yup. I was also confused when somehow binging became part of the topic, as the OP never said or even implied anything about binging.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 07-18-2009 at 04:32 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #26  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

ennay--you sound really sick! Maybe medical intervention? That much pain could be strep throat, bronchitis... Anyway, hope you feel better soon!

Jay
Old 07-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I had the flu a couple of months ago - (real sick, temperature of 101.7, chills, body aches, sore throat). I ate pretty much nothing but Pinkberry frozen yogurt and hot tea with honey, big mugs of lemon thera flu with honey (LOTS OF HONEY becuase my throat hurt like fire) for 2 days.

I do understand how it's easy to rationalize and make excuses for offplan eating, but when I am really and truly sick (which has now happened twice since I changed my life in 2004), I will spoil myself and eat the foods that feel nice on my throat.

2-3 days of offplan eating is a tiny blip in my lifetime journey of health - as long as I don't let it be a slippery slope to extended off plan eating.

Last edited by Glory87; 07-18-2009 at 05:08 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #28  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

jendiet - farina is I think cream of wheat. Same thing only rice is smooooooother.

And I love REAL chicken soup, but that means roasting a chicken, boiling the bones........

yup, yesterday was the eat salty easy to chew foods to try to numb the throat day. Today is the fasting with tea without honey (sugar hurts) and choking enough food down that I dont quack up my antibiotic (for my ears) day. Mostly the buttered toast variety. I'd pick wonderbread if I had any in the house cause it dissolves on contact.

Last edited by ennay; 07-18-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #29  

Maybe its just me, but when I'm truely sick I can only eat steamed broccoli with lemon, oranges, and plain veg broth. Its like my body screams for huge doses of vitamins. Can't eat bread or anything else. I also lose weight if I get a cold. I guess I am 'treating' myself to whatever I want. I only wish I wanted to eat that everyday-what a treat!
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #30  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I'm pretty sure it's just you!