Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Default I've tried EVERYTHING.

I really have tried everything but wls and i refuse to believe thats my only option. My mom says "shut your mouth and stop eating", but unfortunately that doesnt help me. I think about food 24/7 even when im not hungry im thinking about what to eat next. I eat WAYYY to much. So tonight im going to an OA meeting. (overeaters anonymous). Its a 12 step program just like aa or some of the other ones. Not to sure what they do but im going to go and find out. I cant live like this. I did consider wls but if i cant stop eating bad now how will i survive after the surgery on chicken broth? The rest of my life is great, if i could just shake this horrible habit. Ughhhh darn food. lol
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Good luck tonight; I hope you get some answers / advice / insight to start you down a path of gaining control and losing weight...
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #3  

Thank you. I need the luck. I hate being overweight and its getting worse. I really am getting out of control.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #4  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Good for you for taking this step to help you with your overeating eating. So many of us can claim that we have tried everything and still are looking within us for the answer we need to beat this horrible addiction to overeating. I believe you can beat it. I know that for myself, it was a huge relief to finally admit that I was a compulsive overeater. It sounds so terrible, but it was also liberating. Just don't give up!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I've come to the conclusion that I've always had screwed up hunger signals. Yes, I spent years eating poorly and trying to lose weight, but never understood why I couldn't lose weight. For me, I was eating too little. I'd follow the latest fad diet that had me eating way too little for my weight. No real surprise that I couldn't stick them. Everyone is different, but here's what has worked for me.

Plan what you're going to eat tomorrow. Give yourself a healthy allowance (I still eat about 2000 calories a day) and make sure that you're eating 6 times a day (more if you need to). A day's food (for me) includes, with examples:

Breakfast - egg & egg white omelet with salsa, toast and jam, orange / protein pancake with fruit syrup, orange / protein shake with fruit and oatmeal
Morning Snack - beef jerky / frozen protein pudding pop (this one is new for me)
Lunch - tortilla with meat or chicken or pork, mustard, lettuce, fruit / meat-filled soup, toast, fruit <-- winter
Afternoon Snack - hummus, flatbread / protein pudding pop / soy nuts
Dinner - various - tonight beef & turkey burgers(2), whole wheat roll(1), condiments
Salad (about 30-45 mins after dinner)
Evening Snack - fruit & protein shake and/or high-protein cake

Fill your meal plan with things you enjoy, but make them lighter if possible. (ie. cut back on portions, cut out oil, add veggies) Then find something active that you enjoy - walking, bike riding, swimming - just something. And commit to say 30 mins a few times a week (if you're currently not active) or 5 or 6 days if you're already active.

You can do it, but you need to find what works for you. For me, it's eating with a higher frequency, and keeping my meals and snacks at a reasonably high protein level.

Last edited by RealCdn; 07-16-2009 at 08:19 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #6  

Wow thats a lot of food but healthy. Thanks ladies
Old 07-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #7  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

That's the point. You can break up your meals, and eat well, and still lose weight. Just thought I'd point out that the / was dividing options.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #8  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Thats awesome that you found what works for you. Not every plan is for every person. Food addiction is different for each of us. Thank you for sharing, as this will help others see what works for them.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 PM   #9  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Head on down to the Chicks in Control board. This a OA board their you might like to check out.
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I used to be that way...but only with carbs. I would never overeat protein or fat, just carbs. Total carb addict. The Atkins Diet broke my carb addiction and saved my life. I don't know what it is you're overeating, but if it's carbs, you may want to consider trying Atkins or something similar to see if it helps. Carb addiction is nasty. It's not easy to break it, but it definitely can be done.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I used to overeat really bad. I was raised to "clean your plate" when you sit down to a meal. I didn't realize that it had actually taken over how I ate. It didn't matter how much food was put in front of me, I felt the need to eat it. Thanks to my now husband I found out that's why. It's still very difficult for me to leave any food on my plate, especially when I know it will be tossed in the trash. But honestly, if I ever want to eat healthy I need to convince myself that it's ok. I've also learned to downsize my portions and that helps a lot. I think you just need to find something that will keep you on track.. I've heard so many different strategies on here that it's awesome how things work. For instance, today I read that one girl weighs herself whenever she feels tempted by her bf's bad food. While this might not be something that works for everyone, I am so totally trying it out! I know that mid-day weight won't be completely accurate, but all the more reason it will help me to stop eating.
About that thinking about the next meal constantly, I do that too... Although I'm not sure how to stop it, so if you come across something let me know.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I agree the atkins diet would kill carb cravings, but I don't like it. The atkins diet also works by killing your appetite. You just don't have the insulin spikes that send you running to the fridge anymore.

I have found fast-5 works similarly and like a lap band. I just CAN NOT eat as much as I used to. with the added benefit my cravings and hunger are cut down majorly!

I can't recommend it enough. I believe it is because your body gets resensitized to insulin and your stomach is allowed to shrink back down to normal size. The new responsiveness to insulin cuts down sugar cravings.

In biology, we learned that once the stomach is stretched beyond 4L of food the "satiety" mechanism no longer works correctly and the individual is well on their way to overeating to obesity.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #13  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi

I'm following South Beach and focusing on healthier eating-including small amounts of healthy carbs.

I just finished reading "The End of Overeating" which was a great help in understanding my relationship with food and how to step out of the vicious cycle. I checked it out at the library. I, too, have been in that place where I just can't stop.

There are many plans for losing weight which will also help you get out of the constant craving for more food. Today, I'm not craving and I'm grateful for that.

Best wishes! Good luck with your OA meeting.

Last edited by Lexxiss; 07-17-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote