Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #1  
Once and for all

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Stuck in a rut

Well, I have been trying to lose weight for about 6 years now. My highest weight was 220 pounds and I am currently 175 pounds. While I am grateful for the weight that I have lost, I feel like I am stuck. I believe I eat relatively well and I exercise. Does any one have any suggestions on how I could keep making progress? I guess I am basically looking for some support as well.
unstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You have done fantastic thus far, congrats!!

Can you give us some insight to your diet and exercise plan and maybe we can be more helpful?

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

By stuck, do you mean you are on a plateau? Or do you mean you don't feel like you will progress any further?

What you've done is amazing so far. We're here for you!

Last edited by jendiet; 07-15-2009 at 05:52 PM.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #4  
Once and for all

chunkychic-As far as diet goes I will admit that it is not flawless. There are always goodies around where I work. But for breakfast its usaully oatmeal with 2 slices of turkey bacon or just plain oatmeal. AM snack 100 cal pack almonds or sometimes I dont have a chance to eat anything at all. Lunch a turkey sandwhich on the 100 cal flatbread with activia yogurt and some sort of fruit or a can of the progresso weight watcher soup, or salad. PM snack some sort of fruit. And dinner usually consists of a protein and veggies. I do feel that at times I do not get enough water and I will admit that weekends are rough. I am also a big fan of sweets. In terms of exercise-spinning 2-3x a week. I also meet with a personal trainer 2 times a week for 30 minute sessions and we usually focus on weight training. BTW the exercise regimen is fairly new for me. For about 2-3 months I have been doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred b/c i was not satisfied with my gym memebership.

Jendiet-It may be a plateau and it is possible that I need to change it up a bit. But sometimes I feel so discouraged. There are seriously moments when I feel like I could eat everything in the fridge and not blink (lol)

Last edited by unstoppable; 07-15-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Since you work with a trainer, perhaps the trainer can make some recommendations. Also, you might consider consulting a nutritionist or dietitian. Looks like you're not counting calories, so it's hard to give any suggestions... but if you are working out that much, it could be that you aren't eating enough to sustain your exercise, which might explain why you feel so hungry on occasion.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #6  

it looks like you might be roughly getting 1000-1200 calories a day. I'm not sure about the calories in the weight watchers soup. You might need to shock your system by eating a little more. Get it up to 1800 one day maybe--then drop it back. I think if you are on a stubborn plateau. You should first evaluate are you still losing inches. If you are then don't change anything. If you are not. You might want to add just a little extra food--not a whole pizza pie, but maybe an extra pack of almonds another piece of fruit. or something like that. The next day drop it back to regular.

I've been trying to lose weight for 3 years. I was successful with calorie counting and noticed a trend. Zigzagging my calories 2000 one day 1600 the next 2200 the next day 1200 the next--helped me lose the most weight. when you zigzag, your weekly total is the same.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Well, perhaps it may be time to get a handle on the sweets and your weekends. Steady, consistent weight loss just can't occur if you're consistently overindulging. Unfortunately, you just can't have it both ways. Do you count calories? Or points? Or something? Do you plan out your foods in ADVANCE. For me that was vital. This way when it comes time to eat, I know AHEAD of time what I will be having so there's no grabbing for the sweets. If it's not on my menu, then I probably shouldn't be eating it - not if I want that steady, consistent weight loss.

So it just may be time to kick it up a notch and put a better, stricter plan into place. Losing weight DOES take a certain amount of effort and planning and strategy. It won't fall of miraculously. Perhaps you'd like to look into calorie counting, Weight Watchers or something of the sort. Or like Jay suggested, enlist the help of a nutritionist.

Congratulations on your weight loss to date.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
it looks like you might be roughly getting 1000-1200 calories a day. I'm not sure about the calories in the weight watchers soup. You might need to shock your system by eating a little more.
By by the OP's admission, she hasn't been too strict with the sweets or the weekends, which can clearly cause a "stall". Those weekends and/or sweets is most likely shocking enough.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #9  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

Amen on the planning - I always plan the next day's meals in advance - often the morning before! When I got home from work tonight, tomorrow's meals were already logged into Fitday. Even though I didn't get home until 6, I still managed to deal with the getting home chaos (my son has 2 friends over), get dinner made for myself and the kids, make up a batch of my salad dressing, prepare my lunch for tomorrow, and do the prep for my breakfast - by 7!

Without planning I'd never stick to it. But once it's logged, it's easier to stick to it than change it! Laziness used in a constructive manner. . . .
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #10  
Once and for all

Thanks guys, makes since. I actually saw my trainer tonight and he suggested that I start keeping a food journal again, which I have done in the past and have found to be successful. Reading the post, I can honestly say that I have done everything you guys have suggested at one point or another while on this journey, but in my screwed up way of thinking, im like yay i lost 2 pounds now I can have that piece of cake. I need to be accountable for everything i put into my mouth and remember that consistency is key. I do plan ahead for my meals and snacks, I just have to muster up the will power and stay away from the cookie jar and get a hold of my weekends. But thank you guys so much and I will keep you posted on my journey.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #11  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hon, you also might want to consider a more structured plan, just for the time being. Calorie counting is one way to account for stuff. Others choose South Beach. I personally am on WW (which everyone here is SICK of hearing about from me, I'm sure ). Accounting for what you are eating is the KEY, for sure...

DO keep us updated -- we're here for you...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #12  

oh..oops I missed that part about the indulging on the weekends. maybe cut back alot one day that way you can indulge on the weekend.

A food journal is a very good idea to keep you accountable.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #13  

kira--I can't say enough good things about WW. I love the points system, I am a calorie counter at heart.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by jendiet View Post
oh..oops I missed that part about the indulging on the weekends. maybe cut back alot one day that way you can indulge on the weekend.

A food journal is a very good idea to keep you accountable.
For me, and I know we are all different, but again, for me, one day of indulgence can blow whatever progress I've made the previous 6 days right out of the water. I therefore need to plan (& stick with) my weekends just like any other day, if it's weight LOSS I'm after.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #15  
Try

Hi, I'm pretty new. But I was in a similar situation. I hit the six month mark and was feeling bored and restless, like the novelty had worn off. But after reading hungry-girl for a couple days I got inspired to start making some of her swaps. Adding new foods to my diet really worked to get me motivated again. I highly recommend her faux-fried foods as well as her swaps for hamburgers and chicken sandwiches. Best of luck to you, and congrats on your weight loss so far!
JanisPearl is offline   Reply With Quote