Embarrassing...

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • and probably tmi but..

Ever since I've changed my diet to eating healthier, I have had really bad...and I mean really bad...gas. I have tried Beano and charcoal tablets and a few other otc medications to no avail. Does anyone have a cheap and easy solution for this?
  • I had that too, for about the first three weeks or so. It finally resolved, but I don't think it just went away. I found that when I cut the consumption of Splenda and other alternative sugars, it got better. You may want to just try some process of elimination if you are doing a lot of substituting.

It was getting so frustrating b/c I started having actual fears of going to public places or being around people in general.
  • Thank you.

My problem has been on going for well over 6 months now.

Because of monetary reasons, my diet and food is limited to pretty cheap but healthy foods. I was hoping for some home remedy or miracle cure before I run my boyfriend from the house for good
  • Has the foods you are eating changed? It could be an allergy or have to do with how you are cooking certain things.

I have always had bad gas and I just accepted it. Then I realized that I am lactose intolerant. I found out cheese is my biggest problem and when I cut it out, I am totally fine.

So maybe you could isolate certain foods and figure it out?
  • Do you eat Fiber One bars? I love them, but I have to avoid any and all people if I eat one!
  • My diet consists mainly of the following

Oats
    Eggs
    Canned green beans, spinach, carrots, tuna
    Chicken breasts
    Catfish fillets
    Whole wheat bread
    Fat free multi grain crackers
    Apples
    Oranges
    Dannon light n fit yogurt
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes
    Mushrooms
    Melons
    Cucumbers
    Turkey breast (for sandwiches)

I don't really want to cut something out unless I have another cheap item I can substitute it with.

I don't know what to do, lol.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Hugs
    Michelle
  • Quote:
    Because of monetary reasons, my diet and food is limited to pretty cheap but healthy foods. I was hoping for some home remedy or miracle cure before I run my boyfriend from the house for good
    Tell him to man up!
  • You need enzymes. You can buy enzymes from a healthfood store. I take one that is called "Essential Enzymes" It helps break down proteins, fat, fiber, and milk sugar. I also love regular "papaya enzymes" They taste good and I can feel them working right away. Gas is coming from incomplete break down of food in the gut. You could also use some probiotics if you don't eat alot of cultured milk products.

If you haven't eaten alot of fiber (plant material) especially beans in the past...your gut may just be overwhelmed.

Also try not to drink water with your meals, because it dilutes your own natural digestive enzymes.

I also used to be a very gassy person before I quit drinking alot of milk--I may have had a milk allergy and didn't realize it.
  • I don't have a gas cure for you but I can send sympathy your way.

Since I started eating lots of veggies and fruits in March I've also been plagued with gas like nobody's business! I can make MYSELF leave the room some days! But our weight loss and healthier eating habits are worth a little bit of (or a LOT of) gas.
  • Glory87-

LOL! Will do

CamiToo -

You are correct. I just wanted to stop it if I could, lol
  • Depends on what you had before embarking on your plan. If you suddenly increase your fibre intake drastically, your body needs time to adjust. It however will adjust and the gas will stop.

Do you eat a log of eggs? They can be a culpirt, too, although fibre free!
  • It never happened to me but my mom told me that she started eating yogurt regularly and since then, she has had really bad gas.
  • DH has always always had bad gas. He takes papaya enzymes daily, 2 of em, and it has gotten dramatically better. They're also relatively cheap, I get them from the Vitamin Shoppe. Worth a shot at least!
  • nelie--sounds like she is allergic to the culture. OR to the yogurt. bacilli I agree with that in my post I mentioned the "papaya enzymes" and I love them and almost anybody can take them!
  • canned beans! I always make sure I wash them thoroughly before I eat them - something to do with the skins.