Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #16  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Oh, you are in the UK. You might wanna go to the UK thread at the home forum page and they can probably put you on the right track as far as getting nutritional content. I am not sure how much the US guidelines differ from the UK. Someone from the UK may also see this thread and help, as we all tend to jump around gathering info.

But yes, here in the US, we just go to the counter/hostess and ask for the nutritional menu or look it up on the internet before even going. This helps when you don't necessarily want others prying into "why are you doing this? and making "oh, I feel sorry for you, just enjoy your meal" type comments. There are a couple of pocket books out there also that list popular restaurant entrees.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 168/168/140

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niecy View Post
Oh, you are in the UK. You might wanna go to the UK thread at the home forum page and they can probably put you on the right track as far as getting nutritional content. I am not sure how much the US guidelines differ from the UK. Someone from the UK may also see this thread and help, as we all tend to jump around gathering info.

But yes, here in the US, we just go to the counter/hostess and ask for the nutritional menu or look it up on the internet before even going. This helps when you don't necessarily want others prying into "why are you doing this? and making "oh, I feel sorry for you, just enjoy your meal" type comments. There are a couple of pocket books out there also that list popular restaurant entrees.
Thank you, I will ask about this in the UK thread too
librakitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

IMHO Yup, get a scale, measuring spoons and cups and count calories for a while. Even two weeks will give you some idea of how you like it and what your progress is like.

If you don't like it ... try something else.

I guarantee 3FC will be here to support whatever you come up with.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #19  

Thankyou, I've ordered a calorie counting book so fingers crossed!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I didn't mean to imply that you were annoying just like you didn't mean to imply that all people who count calories are boring.

You may want to do this secretely at first and that's fine, whatever works for you is best. What I was trying to imply is that you should be aware of everything that you eat. Think of it as border control - if you're traveling no country will allow you to enter their border without making sure you're not carrying harmful things and I like to think of it the same way as my body. I need to know what goes in... and once you know then you can change.

Don't be discouraged, it is hard at first but it is worth every drop of sweat. Chain restaurants in the US are required to have nutrition guides printed in all the menus. If you like to go to little independent restaurants like we do it's a bit more tricky but it's all doable.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #21  

I've signed up to Dailyplate which looks really helpful Here goes!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #22  

GOOD for you and good luck! You are on your way
Old 06-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #23  

Quote:
GOOD for you and good luck! You are on your way
Thank you! PS - How do you get the scale for your signature showing how far you've come?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #24  

I went to tickerfactory.com. I think you can also get one here from the 3fatchicks site. You can keep up with it and edit it along the way for now, but in order to actually post it here, you have to be a member for 20 days I believe. You will see an option for it pop up in your profile editing tools when your 20 days has arrived.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/170

Height: 5 4"

calorie counting is the only thing that works for me. in fact, i felt less boring being in control of the number of calories i CHOSE to eat from various foods. if i was PMSing and really craved the sweet stuff, i could go for it, just in moderation (and sometimes at the expense of more healthy choices...)but CHOICES and accountability are key ingredients to my lifestyle.
katiecron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #26  

Quote:
I went to tickerfactory.com. I think you can also get one here from the 3fatchicks site. You can keep up with it and edit it along the way for now, but in order to actually post it here, you have to be a member for 20 days I believe. You will see an option for it pop up in your profile editing tools when your 20 days has arrived.
aw 20 days seems so long! thanks tho!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #27  

thanks katie too - i do think being in control is going to be liberating if anything