Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #1  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Default "Extra" Skin

I am sure I am not the only one with this issue. First of all, surgery is not an option for me. I am just wondering, how others deal with the self esteem issues brought on by the "extra" skin and if there are any non surgical, guarenteed ways to help the problem?
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am dealing with it too. Exercise does help--especially strength training. I have done pushups for months and I notice I don't have too much loose skin on the arms. I am a runner and my thighs and calves are okay but I have noticably (without clothing on) loose skin on my lower butt and below my belly button. I also have it on my knee caps. I do want surgery. I don't know that I will go through with it when the time comes.

How do I deal with it? Well, I try to find clothing that doesn't accentuate it. There are no belly shirts in my wardrobe---LOL. I do have a bodyshaper that helps if I really want to wear it. I was able to find a very modest bikini that covers all my bits nicely for the summer.

Honestly, I am in so much better health now. I am learning about food and my body's reaction to different levels of calories and exercise. I make it a point to consume what I need rather than what I want. My clothes really do hide the loose skin. I would trade my obesity for my new way of life (even with saggy skin) any time, any place and at any opportunity!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It gets better with time, somewhat. It has been 5 years since I first started losing weight and although I'm not at goal yet, I still have plenty of loose skin from losing 150 lbs. But some of it has settled over time.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/213/130

Height: 5'3"

When I got pregnant with my son I was 100lbs, I went up to 180 with him! And it was all in my tummy. So I have had handfulls of nasty skin since giving birth to him, and I was only 17. I am now almost 30 and have had two more children who have only added to the skin issue. I have tried everything and nothing works. So unless I can ever save up for a tummy tuck (not likely) I will just have to deal with it. Such a bummer because I had an amazing tummy before this. Oh well, the kids are worth it.
SarahMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

I thought gradual toning with weight training tones the skin and your body
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

Heh, I am clueless to what can help. I just know, that even though I am happier to be healthier for sure, I still detest the skin :|.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinksie View Post
I thought gradual toning with weight training tones the skin and your body
Nope. Weight training helps give your body shape but its all under the skin.

I'd go read the skin faqs on the body image forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 PM   #8  
Resident Pixie

Thanks for the link, nelie.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 292/190/155

I hear ya on this one. I am not sure what to do with the baggy skin, I guess you gotta just love it pay to make it go away. My sister in law got a tummy tuck from when she lost her weight and she has had health problems ever since. So I don't know what to suggest. I thought originally I might get some sort of surgical procedure, but not sure now after talking to her. I have lost 130 and know exactly the issue. I see my daughter's friends and their bulging bodies and I wish there was a gentle way to tell them to stop damaging themselves. Makes me sad. Oh well, Here's to all the weight you have lost though girl!! CONGRATULATIONS on that!!!
TheVicChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #10  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I'm starting to have this as well.

I heard drinking plenty of fluids and using a moisturizer would help (also aloe and exfoliating the skin).

I haven't really used anything yet as I hope some of the loose skin will go back on its one with time.

Good luck and if you find something that really works, please let us know!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

I have the same problem as Sarah. I weighed about 105 lbs at the age of 18 when I got pregnant with my first child. I WAS 98 before that, but married life added a very much needed few extra pounds. I weighed 172 at delivery. I got back down to 112 lbs after she was born but had a tiny bit of loose skin on the stomach below my belly button. I did every exercise known to man to get rid of it. I eventually added a few more between that time and the time I got pregnant with 2nd child, so I was around 125-128 then. I gained another huge amount of weight with her and weighed about 179 at delivery. I only managed to get back down in the 140's after that. So with the 3rd child, a BOY, I only gained 30 lbs during the entire pregnancy but only lost SIX after he was born, lol. He weighed over six pounds. So weird!

I don't expect it to be gone when I lose the weight this time around, I will probably look a lot like I did before. And I am not going to sweat it much. At 34, according to Clinton and Stacy from WNTW, I shouldn't be wearing belly shirts with hip huggers in public anyway, lol. And I will probably opt for a Tankini or a 2 piece with boy shorts rather than a full-fledged bikini.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

Thanks everyone. I will just be happy I am not 330 pounds anymore and pray for a miracle, lol
Old 06-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #13  
Grasshopper

S/C/G: 197/117/100

Height: 4'10"

I'm nearly at my goal weight, and have loose skin everywhere, especially my belly, but the the inner thighs and upper arms are bad, too. Surgery is not an option for me either. At first I was obsessed with finding a cure to it, but now I'm just happy that it's loose skin instead of filled And I"m even wearing tank tops. I figure I have to look better now than before. I've toned the whole way through, and as much as I'd like to say it helped, it hasn't much for me, but I'm healthier for doing it. I will never be able to wear a bikini, but I'm wearing a lot of things that I haven't before in my entire life!
RedKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 PM   #14  
Resident Pixie

You are so right. I just have a big self esteem issue with it all. When I was at 330 pounds, I was always telling my boyfriend to not touch me cause I was uncomfortable with being so overweight and now, I still tell him the same because I am embarrassed about the skin though he tells me I am beautiful, it is hard for me to believe when I am the one who sees me naked :| x.x