Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/140/120

Height: 5'6

Default Ever feel this way while exercising?

So while I am at the gym and start jogging on the treadmill, about 2 minutes into it I start telling myself im tired and just to stop and walk but I know my body can do more than 2 minutes since ive jogged for 10 minutes straight before (thats long for me lol) and sometimes I just give into my mind and listen and just walk >.< How can I tell myself to shut up and go? rofl. Silly post. and has anyone felt this way before?
Pill0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 AM   #2  
It's ME!

Absolutely, I used to do this all the time ... you're psyching yourself out!

The biggest thing for me to make sure that I don't psych myself out and start thinking that it's too hard or I'm too tired is that I have a kickass playlist on my iPod. Lots of music that motivates me. I generally find that I get so lost in the music that I totally forget to think about the fact that I'm running and should be getting tired.

I hope that you can find something that works for you
LittleKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #3  
Reached Goal Sept 11/09

S/C/G: 228/135

Height: 5'4"

This is when I start to play little games with my mind.

"Okay, just one more minute then"
"Well, look, now there is just 1:30 left in this song... just run until that is over"
"Now you are close to x minutes... just run until then"
etc...

This works for me, and then I feel really proud of not quitting!
MrsWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

You bet! In fact, getting started on a run for me is the hardest part. The first few minutes are hard, mainly because I'm not warmed up. But once I've been going for a while, it gets easier, and I virtually always finish up feeling much stronger than when I started out.

The first thing is - are you trying to go too fast? You should monitor your breathing and heart rate. If your heart rate is high and you're panting, then slow down, and you'll be able to sustain the pace longer. If your heart rate and breathing is OK, then it's a psycological barrier.

One mind trick I use is to tell myself that I'm just going to start and see how I feel. I don't think about how far or long I'm going. Just promise myself I'll do the first xx minutes (or miles) and that's it. But once I get there, I find I can keep going.

Another thing you can try is varying your speed. If you start out at your normal speed and get warmed up, then toss in an interval at a faster speed (say, 30 seconds, or a minute), then back off to your normal speed ... suddenly your normal speed will seem MUCH easier.

And ... so what if you do walk? If calorie burn is what you're after, and walking breaks help you to go farther and longer, then there's no shame in that. Plenty of people use structured walk breaks as a strategy for distance running. You can PLAN your walk breaks, and then it's not a failure, it's a training plan. Such as: run 3 minutes, walk 1, repeat. Or whatever works for you.

Hope that helps!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 AM   #5  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

Just like MrsWolf says. Tell yourself "2 minutes" and then at that 2 minutes go another 2 and so on. You will be surprised how far you get. Using that strategy I have done my 3rd day of Slim in 6 even though the first day I found it boring and blah because I was unmotivated.
Yesterday I go through the Slim in 6 and later a 10 Minute dvd.

If you feel bored and blah get some music you really like. I turn off the music on the dvd and put on stuff I like. I even sing along - good thing I am doing it at home lol.
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote