Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2009, 12:18 PM   #16  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws19 View Post
i think it is really hard for people who are "foodies," who really enjoy cooking and dining and stuff as an art, to restrict themselves from making use of the entire color palette of ingredients, so to speak. each ingredient is specifically chosen in order to strike the exactly the right note, nutritional value be damned. and dammit if we aren't particular about this. i still have not figured out how to find as much joy in cooking and eating now that i feel like i have to choose the muted red crayon instead of the vibrant fire engine crayon.
Yes, it's an internal conflict for me too, as well as a conflict with him. I think location as context is important here too. I see you're in Brooklyn. We're in Northampton, MA, just outside the Berkshires. This area is either home or getaway to writers, artists and musicians from all over New England. So of course there's a huge foodie scene, amazing restaurants and tons of fantastic local produce, cheese, honey, etc.

If I were surrounded by fast food joints I'd be just fine, because I really don't enjoy that stuff. But here, I do struggle.

At least when I do have a treat meal, it's really a treat. It's often high quality, delicious local food - just more calories.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #17  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post

Let us know how you make out!
Kira
Thanks, Kira, I will! See you here and on the WW forums...
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #18  
Chuggin' along...

Though I'm not a full-fledged foodie, I do really enjoy cooking. And I love cooking with a bunch of healthful, flavorful ingredients. Using all the textures of fresh fruit and veggies, for example. Experimenting with new grains and new methods of cooking. I made some (low calorie/lowfat) stuffed red peppers that BF told me looked like works of art - and were delicious, too! And it's not that I'm trying to substitute my healthier foods for those mashed potatoes with heavy cream and butter or the deep-fried batter-dipped fish or the buckets of pasta or whatever... it's just a different, equally delicious thing. Rather than focus on the things I "don't" eat I try to focus on all of the wonderful (healthy) foods I do it. And if I eat the healthier foods most of the time and the others only once in a while it will balance out...

But that's not really the subject here, I know, and I doubt you'll be able to convince your BF of that, 3beans. First I just wanted to ask, you said in your initial post that your BF is willing to pitch in w/ cooking but won't change his cooking ways. Have you sat down and had a talk with him about this, or are you just assuming? It sounds like he's set in his ways but you never know, talk to him and asking him to compromise might be worth a try. Maybe you could ask him to help cook and tend more towards "your way" most of the time and have a special Saturday dinner where he gets to do it "his way" or something like that.

But if you haven't, I second the great suggestions already made. You can try to eat small portions of what he cooks and eat large portions of filling vegetables or whatever's most on-plan in the meal. But if this isn't working (of course it could work for you, but I know it wouldn't for me), then cooking extra on your nights to cook and making it clear that that's your food for his cooking night will work. I just think it's important to keep communications open. e.g. "Honey, I do love your food, but it doesn't love my waist, and losing a few pounds is really important to me right now" or emphasizing health, "Honey, I love your food, but the butter and cream really sap my energy before my evening workout" etc.

Good luck!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:04 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Oh dear!

My husband is French Canadian (100% - says 'dat' instead of 'that' and hates Vancouver drivers who don't use snow tires).

Luckily for me, he is on the health food bandwagon. The only suggestion I have is to prepare traditional meals (tortiere, etc) with other ingredients (extra lean beef, onions, fat-free cream, etc)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #20  
No description available.

Maybe you could ask him to always, if nothing else, steam or stir fry up a mess of veggies with whatever he is making. Most things taste pretty good over a bed of zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, etc......even a little poutine over a bunch of veggies, I'd guess.....but that way you can have lots of volume and healthy veggies and whatever else he makes is more like a condiment. Also, those pouches of salmon are quick if he makes something totally off your plan.

Last edited by midwife; 05-01-2009 at 04:24 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote