Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Plan plan plan! That is the best way to deal with major life changes.

I had a life change about 6 months ago, and I was worried that it would cause me to gain weight as well. I planned for how I was going to approach my new lifestyle and what action steps I was specifically going to take. And I didn't gain any weight!

Best of luck to you -- don't get discouraged, just get out there and start interviewing!
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 185/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

i myself have been out of work since december 14th. i was afraid i was just going to blow up since i would now be stressed out looking for work and being at the house all day.

you need to take this time as a golden opportunity...i realized that i had all day to plan meals, go to the grocery store and buy good food for those good meals during the day when everyone else was at work. i also took up jillian michaels 30 day shred DVD...it's glorious to be able to do all the things I DESERVE TO DO FOR MYSELF but never had the chance to do b/c i was always so busy at work. i admit, there were the "bad days" when all i did was watch tv and eat granola bars...but the next day i got right back up and told myself that behavior wasn't going to get me any happier.

i really wish you good luck!! this is a blessing in disguise.
daniellapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #18  

Sorry for your job loss. Keep your head up high and hopefully you will find work soon. One thing you dont want to do is gain weight, so try your best to maintain. Over the years, I have used food as a soothing resource and I know look back and say..."what was I thinking". Good Luck!
kandiapplred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #19  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Think of all the GOOD things your layoff brings--more time to do what you want! You can work out, sleep in, read more, etc. At least for a little while, anyway....

Look for the GOOD!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #20  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I remember when I was laid off & I had the same fears. I thought I'd lie down on a couch with a bag of peanut M&Ms & never get up again.

What really helped me was planning out my new routine for my days & structuring my time. (I don't do well with a lot of unstructured time.) I made sure to build in exercise time first. Then there was job-hunting time, since now that you're out of a job, your new job is basically **finding** a job. There was also socializing time, which was really for networking. I planned a lot of (healthy) lunches out with friends. Above all, I wanted to make sure that I left the house, so if I did any browsing through magazines, I was doing it at the local public library, not at my kitchen table or on my couch.

I think sometimes we binge at the idea of emptiness. If we fill up that emptiness with plans or projects, it can really help.

Is there anything you've been meaning to do, but haven't been able to get around to doing because you have no time? You've got the time now. Take it on.
I think this is some really good advice. I'm so sorry you lost your job such a stressful time. I hope you find a better one soon.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #21  

Height: 5'3"

Eating more costs more!

Seriously, overeating will only make you more depressed/unhappy.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #22  

S/C/G: S 225 / C 192 / G 140

Height: 5'8"

I'm so sorry, Teawithsunshine. Losing a job sucks - I'll say a prayer for you. Heaven knows I've been there before a few years ago and so has my husband. Just remember that exercising may not always sound like fun but it's great for the endorphine boost to keep your spirits up. It really does help keep you motivated in other areas of your life.

When my husband lost his job, he actually used the extra time he had (besides looking for jobs) to train for a bike race which he's never done before. It really helped him stay optmistic and healthy - and he surprised himself with how well he did. Now he competes all the time.

So, like everyone else said, I would use this time to focus on your physical and mental health and lean on us for support It's just a matter of time until you find a job and later you can look back and be really happy with what you accomplished and the new hobbies you've found durng this hard time.
healthierme78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 229/206/1??

Height: 5'2"

Sorry to hear about your lay off, but as everyone else has said eating isnt going to solve anything. Keep your head up all things happen for a reason!!
AngelMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Thank you all SOOOOO MUCH!!!

Your posts honestly brought tears to my eyes when I first started reading them!

I already started planning to include a weight lifting/dumbbell routine along with my exercise routine; when I get my tax returns in, I'll go and buy myself a pair of running shoes (*I've been wanting to start running.)
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:27 AM   #25  

Location: Ft Campbell KY/Clarksville TN - studying in Vancouver BC

S/C/G: 220/113/100

Height: 5'5''

Just remember what NOT overeating does for you.

You look better in interview clothes. Which unfortunately is important in a society that is so weight focused.

You save money - while its true junk food is cheaper calorie for calorie, it's not true when you're binge eating.

You will have wasted all the months of hard work you put in to lose the weight. Do you really want the last two years to mean nothing?

Your stress level will go UP if you start gaining weight because you'll be stressed about the gain and everything that comes with it like needing new clothes. If you still have your "fat clothes" go donate them TOMORROW. You don't have money to buy more, that may help keep you motivated to stay in the ones you have.
Tristesse is offline   Reply With Quote