Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy I feel as if I'm losing control...

And it's a horrible feeling... It all started last week when I went to weight watchers and gained a pound. I knew I had gained before I went, however I didn't want to believe it. That was Thursday.
The Saturday, I ate a sub for lunch from Subway, then for dinner I ate 5 pieces of EFFIN pizza for dinner, and a beer.
Since then I haven't been good either, no fast foods or anything, but just eating the wrong things. This week I'm on a peanut butter kick. Seriously, eating it right out of the jar. I've NEVER done that before. I don't know whats wrong with me. Food is my drug of choice. And I really don't like myself because of it. I'm so angry with myself... I've been doing so well all summer, then BOOM, one bad week and bad weigh in, and I'm practically right back to where I started (Emotionally)...........
I'm getting weighed in again this Thursday and I'm terrified... I don't want to see that I've gained weight again.
I'm going on a super nice trip to Jamaica for 16 days on December 26th, and my personal goal was to be 280 by then.... Now I'm so unsure... I just... ugh. Maybe I'm depressed.. I'm not sure.
Can someone tell me what they do when they get like this?
Thanks.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I know what it feels like to be out of control. I'd like to focus on the peanut butter for a second. Personally, whenever I crave peanut butter it's usually because I'm not eating enough healthy fat in my diet. The body wants what it needs sometimes (sometimes it just wants Haagen Daaz, but I digress).

In my experience, out of control eating after careful dieting was nearly always caused by overly restricting fat/calories. Are you eating enough healthy calories and heart-healthy fats on a daily basis? I know it sounds kinda crazy, but you have to eat to lose.

Good luck, I'm jealous of your trip to Jamaica!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/232/135

Default Been There

I have a sweet tooth and love junk food. I have found that if I binge I just have to admit that I was bad and start over again. I can't go weeks or months without eating badly so I let myself eat whatever I want on my weekends. Sometimes I do binge and binge badly but most times I find that I don't even want to be eating junk.

Hang in there and look at where you have come from in total and not just the last week. Look at how well you have done and celebrate that success instead of focusing on a bad few days.

Hang in there, tomorrow is another day and a new chance to start....
txnikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 PM   #4  

Glory - You just made me realize that I'm probably not eating healthy fats at the moment, that is probably why I'm craving peanut butter. At first maybe I thought I was pregnant, but then I soon realized you need a man for that haha. I've been busy with work the last week and have been totally ignoring my diet. I normally work from home, but the last week I've been working in the office.. That's a big part of why I screwed up. Not that I'm blaming my office for this, it's just, it's right beside a Tim Hortons (a Canadian coffee shop), and I've been drinking like 2-3 coffee's a day. (2 cream 2 sugar). Which is out of the ordinary for me. I normally have about 5 coffee's a week. So my body probably doesn't appreciate all this extra caffiene it's recieving.

txnikita - Thank you for the encouragement, you're right, tomorrow is a new day, and a chance to start fresh once again .

I just went for a short walk and cleared my head... I'm feeling a little better now then how I was when I wrote this post. My issue's are so much more then food, but food just seems to be the easiest thing to blame. I use food as comfort. I need to learn to give that up, and turn to something else. Embarrasing.

Thanks again ladies.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:04 PM   #5  

That'd be a good idea, but I think the people I live with wouldn't like it very much, because they are jealous that I'm going to paradise without them. ha ha ha. I actually have pictures of my previous trips to Jamrock all over my bedroom... Sometimes I find it motivates me to exercise because I don't want to look like I did in those pictures this trip.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
I just went for a short walk and cleared my head... I'm feeling a little better now then how I was when I wrote this post. My issue's are so much more then food, but food just seems to be the easiest thing to blame. I use food as comfort. I need to learn to give that up, and turn to something else. Embarrasing.

Thanks again ladies.
It helps just to put it out there in black and white, doesn't it!

Don't be embarrassed. I'd bet the percentage of us that do that is very very high .
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #7  
If I can do it...

S/C/G: 243/243/180

Height: 5'5

Wink motivation

Hi, I'm new to this. But like you...I also get what I like to call weak moments. I have been on & off dieting for the last year. When I finally made the decision that this is no longer a diet .. its a life change.. I had to figure out ways to make it work. I sit in an office all day and thats usually where i eat the most. So to compromise instead of keeping the bags of chocolates & chips at my desk.. I now keep fruit cups.. and reeses pieces 100 calories packs. So I am still fulfilling my craving for something sweet .. just not in the big portions that I used to have.

Congrats on the trip to Jamaica!!
belinda245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #8  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i think we have all been there and done that....
bodies do crazy things at crazy times....
just accept it and try to move on and forward....
step by step....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi - Boy, have I been there! Eating to soothe myself, dieting and then stuffing my face, then hating myself and thinking I can never get control. Been there!

Coming here and posting and getting common-sense, supportive, feedback has been a lifesaver. One thing that has helped me this week is reading the Beck Diet Solution. It was suggested to me in a different post and it is phenomenal! It uses congnitive therapy to help with your mindset and to give you control over food. It's not a diet, but it works with any food plan. Basically, it reminds you that you have control over the food, and over yourself.

You have come so far, you are an inspiration.
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/187/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvja View Post
You just made me realize that I'm probably not eating healthy fats at the moment, that is probably why I'm craving peanut butter.
Good thnking! Thats probably what it was. Sounds like you got this figured out. I tell myself: "Self... look, you can pig out on peanut butter all you want, but your just pushing your goal weight date back even further. Why do you insist on dragging this diet out? Dont you want to be a maintainer? Dont you want to stop thinking about food all the time? Get this done and move on."
It's just what I tell myself, I know what I'm doing now I'll probably continue doing for life. I just want to stop thinking about food so much!
raw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I'm going to tell you something you already know...but I feel I need to say it just because I'm being particularly ornery today. First, there is no way you are going to lose 28 pounds by December 26th if you eat 5 pieces of pizza, beer and peanut butter daily. You probably won't loose 28 pounds by December 26th if you eat that weekly. You might if you reserve that kind of eating for a once a month treat....which is my point. You haven't blown it. You are "STILL" on your diet. You allowed yourself to indulge, which is as human as you can get. But the treats are done for now. If you indulge now, the end of September...just because, how will you handle Thanksgiving...or the Holiday season? Plan ahead.

Oh and the second thing I wanted to comment on is when you said tomorrow is a new day. You need to think by the minute and not the day in these circumstances. Next minute is a new minute. If you are anything like me, if you wait until tomorrow to get back on track, it might just mean the END of your healthy diet....or a few more pounds to re-lose.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:38 PM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Oh and the second thing I wanted to comment on is when you said tomorrow is a new day. You need to think by the minute and not the day in these circumstances. Next minute is a new minute. If you are anything like me, if you wait until tomorrow to get back on track, it might just mean the END of your healthy diet....or a few more pounds to re-lose.
That is an excellent point. Every single moment is a moment you can make a good choice for yourself. Put those past minutes in the past and think of what you can do for yourself right this minute. Sometimes you can change your emotional state just by doing something as simple as choosing to do 10 situps (or jumping jacks, or whatever) to confirm your commitment to yourself and your plan.

I used to be a master procrastinator. I was ALWAYS waiting for "Monday" when I would "start fresh". I stayed fat waaaaay too long waiting for that perfect "Monday" to actually come around.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #13  
A New me! Right Now!

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'1"

Man do I know what you mean!! I will have a day (or 2) that I have totally been out of control with my eating and I get soooooooo mad at myself. It is such an ugly cycle that we all have to learn how to break. Me getting mad at myself does nothing to help my weight loss. ( I do still get very mad at myself, but I am trying to let it go before I sabotage myself.) Recognizing what I am doing and jumping right back on track (the very next meal) is something that I have had to work to do. It’s the key to my success. I also allow myself one day to eat anything I want. That way I make it at least 6 days out of the week OP. I have found that on these days I tend to eat more OP than I used to. The healthier habits are sinking in whether I want them to that day or not. We all slip, you just have to pick yourself back up and keep walking. You have come so far in the big picture. One bad week is not going to ruin everything you accomplished. Just the fact that you came here for support and the fact that you know what you are doing wrong show tremendous change in the way you used to be, I am sure.
dlphnmomva is offline   Reply With Quote