Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default There were pictures!

I'm camera phobic.

At my friend's b-day party, he insisted on getting pics taken with everyone. He's moving away, so I couldn't exactly say no. They aren't terrible - although I was obviously the largest woman in the room ( ).

I've been depressed all day. Then he sent me links to them and said that they turned out well. Dear lord...

I'm trying to turn this into a motivational thing. Hopefully, by the time he comes back for the summer, I'll have dropped enough that I WANT to have my picture taken.

It's just a picture...it's just a picture...it's just a picture.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/240/180

Height: 5'7

Hi Altari!

We're about the same height and weight right now (I'm in GAP size 18s). I too had a wake-up call when I saw the pictures of my boyfriend and myself one of my girlfriend's weddings. *sigh* She said I was beautiful and I felt, no, "feel" like a cow. I do wear my weight well, but I don't want to have to use that excuse. I had been doing really well for a while with working out and such, but I never want to buy another 18.

You've already had great weight-loss and I hope to join your ranks in a few months. Now's a good a time as any to restart for me and a word to say that any motivation is great motivation. Good luck!
lilkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 AM   #3  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

And YES, it's just a picture. I'm sure they turned out well, and even if you don't like them, at least it's something you can compare to when next summer comes around.
And I discovered that even people who weigh like 120 do NOT like their pics taken. It's not just us. I think it's this society where everyone in the picture and TV looks sooo gorgeous..so when we see ourselves, we do not like them because it's nowhere close to those "fake" photoshoots on magazines and tv.. but we ARE beautiful in our own way. So c'mon!
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #4  
In the shell

I hate having my picture taken as well. All of mine look horrible, but I use them as motivation and it works.
Caly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

I feel ya!. I've spent so much time in beautiful tropical Jamaica and pretty much have no decent pictures of myself there, due to the fact that I don't want to be in a picture because I hate the way I look. Thats one of the main reasons I am losing weight. I'm hoping when I go back in December I'll let someone take a full body pic of myself.

Last edited by luvja; 09-15-2008 at 06:45 AM.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

My company made a video last spring...I told the history, shown walking in front of our building. I look huge, facial features hidden in folds of fat, belly protuding, rolls on display. I've seen pictures of myself, but I never look that bad. Worst of all, I have to display this video regularly during presentations. I had been diagnosed with medical problems several months earlier and told to lose weight. That didn't work. Seeing myself on this video did. It still causes me tremendous pain to watch...and I have to watch and watch and watch.

In six weeks I am showing it at a big formal fundraiser, in front of 200 people.

I am determined that in the future folks will be stunned to realize that I am the person in the video. (And I'm strategizing that we will remake that video in another two years and I will be wearing a size 12 when we do!)

Sometimes we need to see ourselves.
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #7  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Your friend is looking at your pictures and thinking about all the good times you guys had together. He's not thinking about your size or shape. The photograph is a memory of the good times. I have photographs of me at every weight and size and I wouldn't be without them because every picture tells a story of what was going on at that time--birthday parties, anniversaries, family gatherings, funerals, picnics, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc... Don't give up on the pictures because it's not just about you, it's about everyone else involved in what is going on at the time. And you want to be remembered as being there.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 AM   #8  
Sarah

S/C/G: SW:197.8/GW:145

Height: 5'8"

I am so sorry! Like many, I just hate getting my picture taken. Years ago when I was very heavy and pretty much unaware of it, I went to Japan to visit my brother who was teaching there. While there he took me to his boss' house for a lunch. Anyway, he took a picture of me, his boss, and his boss' wife and when I saw it I was horrified. I looked like I could swallow those people whole (think Godzilla)- I swear I was bigger than the both of them put together. I definitely was motivated after that! So I guess just try to use this as motivation and know that no one is going to be as critical as you are.
asparagus4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 AM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

OMG, I sooooo know how you feel!

One of my very best friends in all the world came to visit me for Labor Day Weekend. We have been friends for FORTY years. Since kindergarten! - she is a tiny little thing... about 5'1" and 115 pounds. Cute as a bug, even at 45! Just cute, cute, cute.

Me... well, I'm FAT. No two ways about it!

Anyway, of course she wanted PICTURES of us & her trip... at first I balked... I didn't want my picture even taken, much less looked at, at this - THE HIGHEST WEIGHT OF MY LIFE. But I let her talk me into it... I said "Fine, but just don't put them up on MySpace!" ....

And what did she do? Yup. Put them ALL up on MySpace! I was mortified! Not only because I looked so BLECH! - but also because I had asked her NOT to do that!.... and because, well, a picture is worth a 1000 words...

I emailed her & asked her to delete TWO of those pics. Not all of them... just two specific ones that I felt were BAD pics of me. (I actually let her keep the ones of us in our swimsuits! ) ...she balked. She said "but you're so tan & pretty!" ... Yes, a tan & pretty BEACHED WHALE standing next to her itty-bitty self! We went back & forth w/the emails for a while before she FINALLY relented & deleted those two pics. She was disappointed, but I explained to her that she just DOESN'T KNOW what it's like to be so fat, because she has ALWAYS been thin, whereas I have always struggled with my weight almost all my life.

When I look at pics of myself NOW at 188... & pics of me 3 years ago at 138...yeah, I tend to get a little nauseous. So I'd rather just NOT see the pics... it's bad enough looking at my chub in the mirror every day... "nothing to see here... move along"
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #10  
A New me! Right Now!

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'1"

I am with evryone here, i hate hate HATE getting my picture taken. My mother is always telling me that when i pass away my kids are never going to be able to show their great grand children what i looked like. I am terrified of the camera because what i see in that picture is not what i see in the mirror. All i can say is "do i reallly look like that" i guess i do. I can not wait to be able to get my picture taken without worrying how it will look.
dlphnmomva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #11  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Thanks all for the replies.

I've gotten over the massive depression. I was able to use it to motivate me to be really on plan yesterday...but I was off today. Fried shrimp {I kinda think they were worth it} and ginger ale for an upset stomach.

Anyway, they aren't horrid. I think a lot of it was a comparison to the literally anorexic girl who were there. She's a little shorter than I am, but a size 0...I felt like a beluga whale!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #12  
carinna

It's just a picture. It's just a picture. And, don't forget, you are your own worst critic.
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #13  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i think ill still hate pictures taken of me when i am thinner....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:20 AM   #14  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

I relate to your story. Happened to me too, just this week. I was at a fundraiser and people were saying how good I looked and how I needed to be in a picture. I was put in a photo with two petite women and i was standing nearer to the camera than them. The photo was pretty horrific- I took up half the picture with the other two women taking up very little space in the rest of the photo. Anyway, I was aghast at how bad I looked. Although I have to say it is progress to get my picture taken at all.

Here's another funny picture story. I had a head shot done for a photo id and the digital camera's dimensions were off. It shot the picture making everything wider rather than taller. I looked like a character from Shrek. My face looked flat and stretched out. Two years later I am still using the id. No wonder I am afraid of cameras.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #15  
You need me!

Height: 5'7"

I think we all have had this happen to us before. I know mine happened to me my senior year of high school, and i didn't know i had gotten that big until i saw my senior pictures it was bad, and standing next to my size six twin sister didn't help matter.

It'll all be gravy.
LindsayL0ve is offline   Reply With Quote