Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 08:12 AM   #31  

Hi I am brand new to 3FC. Glad I found it and this thread. 21 day habit worked for me getting my bed made, why not for staying on program? I pushed my limit on points last night, only by one and only because of eating dinner out with my wonderful dh, so what better day to start day one than today.

I need to set myself a goal. I am doing WW on my own at home...I suppose the 10% would be a good one to start with. I wish you all the best and thank you for being here. Let's keep pushing ourselves and each other!

Bliss
(1/0/1) <-- looks like low numbers to me..going to PUSH them UP!
Old 04-20-2002, 09:39 AM   #32  
a work in progress...

Good Morning all...

Day 1 again for me...I think I may need the 4 day challenge for starters...I can't seem to get pst day 3 any more...but when I STOP trying, all will be lost, so here we go again!

babette...I SO know what you are talking about when you speak of the underlying issues with you and dh...you passive/he aggressive...sounds so much like us...though I have NO intention of scrapping my marriage, I do need to assert myself and not rely on anyone else to show me the way to happiness. Don't get me wrong, I have a good marriage. but sometimes I think, If everything is so hunky dory, WHY can't I take this weight off? I DO have a lot of family issues to resolve...recently took a class about "Adult Children of Alcoholics," which I found very enlightening and helpful...but I find coming here extremely helpful too......I see that I am not alone, we are all here to help each other!

Welcome, Blissbeau and sweet tooth...our numbers are growing!good luck to both of you!
Hi Misty and crone...how goes it?

well, I'm off to seize the day (1)!

Have a great weekend, all...
Old 04-20-2002, 03:16 PM   #33  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Angry Day 3. Dare I hope I'll see 4?

Wow, new faces! Welcome, Sweet Tooth & Bliss!

Sweet Tooth, funny about that last 10 pounds. My DH has about 10 pounds he wants to lose. I always think "Gee, if I only had 10 pounds to lose it would be so EASY!" But then I think how thrilled I would be to have 10 off anyway, from right here, and how hard it seems to be to make any progress. But let's do it, huh!

Bliss, that's inspirational, that you used a 21-day challenge to get yourself to make the bed. I think I'm going to see what else I can use the approach for.

Katrina, I KNEW there was something familiar about you! I'm an adult child of an alcoholic too, although my dad's been dead for 15 years. And still have all this stuff to deal with. Seems like we're inclined to take familiar routes. I'm coming more and more to believe that i have to assert myself to be able to lose weight, because the more passive I am the more I eat in compensation. I see my mom doing the same thing, too. And I don't want to waste my life. Let's be STRONG!

Crone, I think you're right about the "what are we really hungry for" thread. We could just do it without the exercises, if we don't have them. Or we could (i know I could) benefit from looking at some of the earlier exercises again. Let's resurrect that thread! And let's get un-squished, too.

Well, Blockettes (and honorary Blockette ), let's do what we need to do to have a good weekend and a great start to next week.

xo
babette
3/212 (-3)/1

Last edited by Arabella; 04-20-2002 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:32 PM   #34  
Empress/Queen

Default Lurker post ...

Hi, Blockettes! You are all doing so well moving around those blocks. I'm on Day 6 of my streak and holding. Tomorrow is my weigh-in day. We shall see. I also know that if I get 21 days in, my habit is likely to stay in place for a long time. The streak allowed me to lose 100 pounds ... I didn't break it for a long, long time. But I really like the Blockette idea of adding "levels" to my streaking game. I know I want to be at a good steady "level" where fitness behavior is automatic. Work is picking up and I may travel a lot this summer and so want to get onto an even keel now.

Kat & Babette: Yo! Another adult child of alcoholic here! I've forgotten how long it's been since my dad's been dead, but here I still am and yes still dealing with it. It takes awhile. We will get there.

I'm going to post "What Are We Hungry For" with some of the old exercises. I don't have the Roth book so maybe LLB wants to post new ones. Actually I have surprisingly few books about weight issues ... gave away the recent one I purchased. My only fitness purchases lately have been two older books in the Rockport Walking Program series, which I think is wonderfully sensible.

Peace to all Blockettes, Lurkers, Streakers, Challengers, etc.
Old 04-21-2002, 07:56 AM   #35  

Thumbs down Day 4. Ah! That's the first one in a while....

Good Morning, Blockettes! I think that my new theory about repression (OK, I knew about that, but we relearn and relearn) and its place in food issues is making this easier for me. I just wake up every day determined to be myself and not shrink from the most minor confrontation, and that seems to make food seem more like....just food. And that's when I enjoy it the most anyway. I really enjoy planning delicious dinners and making them celebratory and life-affirming (sort of the opposite of the "lapse into coma" binge ).

Doing well with food and great with exercise. I walked six miles on Friday, yesterday walked a couple of miles to the gym and back, did 15 minutes high intensity on the cycle and 2 circuits and practiced Tai Chi for a half hour. Today we're scheduled for a long walk on a trail. I'm going downstairs to practice TC again in a minute and may try to get in a yoga session later.

Katrina, I have got a lot of work to do on the issues w/ DH. Although, like you, i consider i have a good marriage, my disappearance from it is causing problems. I was reading about a not-uncommon phenomenon in which women in fairly normal relationships fantasize about their husband's death. Been there! I do love my husband, but he is not an easy-going type and it's often easier to give in. The problem is that each time I give away a little bit of my self, until I hardly know who I am any more. Also like you, i have no intention of scrapping my marriage. So. I have to work within it to make it work for me.

Case in point: this trip to Toronto to visit MIL (thanks, Kat, for that very apt "hot pokers in the eyes" analogy). DH said a month or so ago that he wanted to go, asked me if I did. No, i said, you go. Thinking "mmmmm.... a week or so of blissful solitude, do what I want when I want," and so on. But he really wants me to go, partially because it takes 20 hours or more to drive there, but partially just because he wants me with him. So i said i'd go, but didn't get enthusiastic about the trip. Thinking about why I wasn't enthusiastic, it's because we do what he wants to do when we're there and I feel like I make the entire trip just to go to the art gallery, where he will try to hustle me through. And we spend WAY too much time sitting around his mom's house ( i would rather be home, for sure!). So I'm thinking about what it would take to make it a nice trip for me and I'm going to tell him: more time walking around the downtown areas, dinner out at an interesting restaurant (maybe Thai, something we don't have here). Have more of a "Toronto" experience. I could enjoy the trip, I just don't like his itinerary. Oh, it will be interesting to see how this one unfolds...

Crone, thanks for pulling up the "what are we really hungry for" thread. Even if it was a random choice, that one is pretty relevant! I'll go in there and do some work on it later. Are you looking forward to the travel through the summer? Hope you get to go somewhere a little cooler; sounded like you had more heat than you needed last year. We in the frozen climes forget sometimes that heat can be as restricive as cold. Summer is GREAT here, but about half as long as it should be.

K, Blockettes. Let's make this a wonderful day!

xo
babette
4/212 (-3)/1

Last edited by Arabella; 04-21-2002 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:52 PM   #36  
Empress/Queen

Angry Honorary Blockette here ...

Thanks for the title, Babette! I am kind of doing the blocks, only a little different way. Lost 3.5 pounds on my first week of staying OP. The streak goes on.

Repression and emotional conformity to male authority figures is definetely a factor in why I have problems with food, too. I will post something about that on the "What" thread.

I am looking forward to traveling, but so emotionally tied to Old Dog, I don't know how I'll part with her, even for a few weeks. Can't see taking her as I have so much work to do on these assignments. We'll see.

As for the heat, I'm not really anticipating a cooler summer other than when I'm away. We are supposed to reach triple digits this week, which is early, but I'm contemplating a second window unit. Haven't decided.

Blockettes All: Thanks for being so inspiring! Have a great and OP Sunday.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:48 AM   #37  

Red face Day 5!

I am very happy to have made it this far. Yesterday, DH & I went on a 7-mile hike and I practiced Tai Chi/chi qung for about an hour total. Was kind of bummed, though, and continue to be today. I think that means that there's stuff that I need to be dealing with, and I will try to identify those things. Have a song stuck in my head: "Is there an answer in god's creation, that tells me why i live and die" being one line from it. Very existential stuff! So I think this is some kind of a crisis that I've got to work (work, work, work ) my way out of. I know that hanging with uncomfortable feelings rather than trying to obliterate them tends to be productive. I usually feel much better and more fully alive on the other side.

Crone -- 3.5 pounds! That's a big WOOHOO!! for you. Congrats! You are truly inspirational, and I am going to try to follow in your footsteps Hope the issues with Old Dog and travelling work out well for you. I am trying hard not to be so repressed, my own self. I find even the smallest actions can be helpful to me, thinking about what I want to do and then doing it, rather than thinking of 15 reasons why I can't/shouldn't do it.

Be strong, Blockettes!

xo
babette
5/212 (-3)/1
Old 04-22-2002, 08:57 AM   #38  

Well day 3 for me On Program.. I even have dh counting points for himself now, so it's even more fun.

Thank you for the welcome.

Wondering if anyone has info on banking points.. I don't want to do it, I just want to understand it...and exercise points..

dh is a runner, he ran 8 miles on Saturday. I have the slide and it shows he gets 8 points for that.. would he have to have the 8 points added to his minimum? I went to meetings about long enough to get that slide, but never really understood it.

Thanks for any info...

Bliss

3/0/1
Old 04-22-2002, 09:43 AM   #39  
Conquering with SBD

Default 1/0/1

Happy Monday morning to everyone. Thanks so much for the welcome.

Today marks the start of my first 21 day block. I did not have a very good weekend, but today is a new day and I will start OP again. So far (7:30am), I am still OP.

I usually get up and go to the gym 3 mornings a week, but couldn't even get out of bed to do that this morning. I am planning to go tomorrow, instead, though, so hopefully this last 10 pounds will be gone soon.

babette - We went to a Thai restaurant in TO that was really good - authentic food, too. I forget the name, but it is located in the downtown district in a converted warehouse. If you can find it, it is really good.

crone - Congrats on the weight loss. Keep up the great work on your streak. You are doing so well.

Wishing everyone the best this week. Take care.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:49 AM   #40  

Default just a quickie ;)

Bliss, your husband can add the exercise points on to his total anywhere in the range between min and max. If he wants to eat his maximum, that means that he could have whatever the maximum is PLUS the eight extra. IMHO, he should do that, esp since the dear lambs (men, that is ) always seem to lose weight more quickly than do we.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:33 PM   #41  

I will tell him to add at end, and yes you are right. He will most likely reach his goal before me, but I am determined to get there.

thanks
Old 04-23-2002, 07:18 AM   #42  

Thumbs down Day 6, believe it or not!

Wow, a couple more days here and i will have a week in. That would be great! I've gotten tons of exercise the last 4 or 5 days, and intend to continue. Still haven't lost, but i know that as long as i keep going it will come off. I remember this happening before when i started lifting weights after not having done it for a while. There's a difference in the fit of my clothes, and I can see and feel a big change in the musculature all over my body. If I wasn't weighing myself, I would think I was making real progress Yesterday I had a sugar craving after lunch -- i was a little hungry, so I got myself a treat and had it sitting at the table, and stopped when I was full rather than eating the whole amount. Granted, there was a lot of it, and I would have felt sick if I'd eaten it all, but in the past, I probably would have done it anyway. I really wanted to cozy up on the couch to have it but didn't -- too easy to lapse into a coma.

Sweet Tooth, how are you doing? Thanks for the info on the Thai restaurant. I'll see what I can find out about it.

Let's make this one count, Blockettes!
xo
babette
6/212 (-3)/1
Old 04-23-2002, 10:41 AM   #43  
Conquering with SBD

Default 2/0/1

Well, today marks the second day of the first block. So far, still OP...AND even went to the gym before work this morning.

Babette - You are doing so well with the block challenge. Almost one full week OP already. That's 1/3 of the way to finishing the first block. Way to go! Congrats on the success you had with your treat. Not eating the whole thing is a major success in your weight loss program. Keep it up.

Hope everyone has a great day. Take care.

Cheers,
Old 04-23-2002, 12:55 PM   #44  

Default Mind if I hop on in?

Hey babette...how are ya? I havent seen you posting in on the mini challenges lately and then Crone told us you were over here on the blockettes thread for the 21 day challenge......so.....here I am as long as ya'll dont mind my hopping in on your group???

I have been so stressed out over the hopes of buying our first home only to be shot down at the very final part of the process.....then my littlest one had to have his adenoids out and tubes put in his ears beginning of month and now found out yesterday that the oldest needs his adenoids out and tonsils due to his snoring/sleep apnea/ sinus infections.......so needless to say...I have not been too faithful to myself or the WW's plan....but I am along with Crone on our little streak thread hoping if I dont committ myself so strongly right off.....maybe I can regroup myself and get myself remotivated and refocused......I need to be close to my goal weight by June 29...that was one of my original goals to be at goal for my first 10yr class reunion.....so......any extra support will help.......

Should I introduce myself and give you all a small bio on who I am etc??? Let me know!!!

Take care and good luck to you all......LisaL
Old 04-23-2002, 01:13 PM   #45  

Talking Sure, hop right in!

Hi Mom, glad to have you on the block! I just find it hard to post to a lot of threads, and I like the idea of having the 21-day target as a means of changing habits. You don't have to post a bio -- none of the rest of us did. But if you read the first message in the thread it should help you get an idea. And you can substitute any goals that you want for the 21 days. (I was stuck trying to get past 3 days for quite a while, but as long as you keep starting over, it will work!)

I was just thinking this morning that during stressful times, trying to take it one day at a time (or even one morning, afternoon or evening) can be helpful. I would suggest that you set goals, but don't make them too severe while things are so stressful for you.

Good luck!
Closed Thread