Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #1  
Becoming.

S/C/G: 282/266.1/165

Height: 5'3

Default to buy a scale or not?

I don't know.

The plus side is that I would be able to see small changes and victories.

Going by clothings size and how my jeans fit.. well.. it could be a while before I notice any changes and I don't want to get discouraged.

BUT

the reason I haven't stepped on a scale yet, is that I am honestly, SCARED to know. I tend to obsess over things when I feel bad about them and I think maybe it would be a greater evil to see that number than to plug away until I have a change in my clothing and something substantial I can celebrate before braving the scale.

I'm only on day 4 and I am confident, comfortable, relaxed and determined. I"m afraid the scale may set me into panic mode and depression.

Ok , maybe I just answered my own question. LOL

I guess I just wanted to be able to see that small victory every week. But I think maybe its better this way. I'll, for now, continue to go by how my clothes fit. Once I've dropped into a 20/22 instead of a 22/24 I'll get a scale because I'm sure at some point I'll stall and I won't notice if I haven't stepped on a scale! Then I'll be able to tweek my calories and percentages.

what do you think?
gothik butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:26 PM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Well I think you're right about answering your own question! If you know you'll obsess maybe rather than seeing a decrease in the scales and obsessing about it, you could measure yourself every week instead?
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/167/150

Height: 5'6"

I say buy a scale. I know all body types are different. But I can gain 20 pounds and my pants still fit. The extra weight can settle in my arms, calves, face, everywhere. Face your fear. Know your number and then watch it go down. That is very motivating.
cmonamonamona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: I would like to lose 100lbs

I agree.... Once you start weighting yourself, you have to be ready to accept what the scale says negative or positive . i know from experience that when i jump on the scale and i don't see it move i panic and punish myself even if my clothes do fit loose.i think it would be a great idea to to wait personally until you feel that you accomplished your 1st goal it will motivate you..and we all need that. Im on day 5 of my diet and i know how you feel... GOOD LUCK!!
LuLusMommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

If you don't have access to a scale elsewhere I would say buy one. I have one at the gym and prefer it that way. I can way often enough that I see small changes but not so often that I can obsess about it.

Small changes can be huge. I am a 1/2 pound away from my next milestone. It totally keeps me focused right now as I am determined to make that scale move.

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 287/252/165

Height: 5 ft 4"

Im saying measure yourself, if I had the strength to stay way from that damn scale I wish I could!! Maybe you could just weigh yourself monthly in the chemist or something?!
pigginpodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Don't buy a scale until you're ready, but I think a scale is very motivating and makes me face reality (which was not something I liked to do). I step on it every morning and it renews my focus and confirms my goals.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I would say buy a scale. I know it can be scary but it will also be the first step to conquering your inner demons! Good luck.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothik butterfly View Post
I guess I just wanted to be able to see that small victory every week. But I think maybe its better this way. I'll, for now, continue to go by how my clothes fit. Once I've dropped into a 20/22 instead of a 22/24 I'll get a scale because I'm sure at some point I'll stall and I won't notice if I haven't stepped on a scale! Then I'll be able to tweek my calories and percentages.

what do you think?

If you don't want a scale right now that's fine. You've got to be able to do this the way you're comfortable. But, I will admit that I'm happy knowing what weight I began my journey at. I know exactly how far I've come.

Do take your measurements now. That way you can at least have some form of comparison a few months from now.

Last thing I want to point out, and this may not be the same for you, is that I began at a size 24 as well. It took me 70 lbs before I fit into 22 pants.

And those 70 lbs took many, many months.

This is not to discourage you, but to let you be aware that it may take a long time for 20/22's to fit comfortably. And also why I suggest taking measurements for comparison.

Best of luck!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #10  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

If/when you do choose to buy and use a scale ... try not to weigh TOO often. Weight fluctuates day to day, for a whole variety of reasons. Weighing weekly is enough. It's easy to freak out over normal variations.

... says me who weighs daily, but do what I say and not what I do I personally like the data point, but it is just one of several. If you are able to measure progress in other ways and continue to make the progress you desire, then that is all that really matters.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

For a long time I did not have a scale, but my grocery store did, so I would weigh there. The scale was someplace not terribly public.

Then I joined the Y and started weighing when I went there.

Now I own a scale--and sometimes I wish I didn't, but the fact is, I think it's helpful to see how things are going over time. I do not weigh more often than once a day, however. There lies madness. (No really--there are members who seem to be weighing all the time.)

Get on a scale somewhere. Otherwise you really don't know... Measurements of clothing can take a long time to change.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

I say, go for it and buy a scale. I probably would have given up long ago if I did not have a scale because it is so difficult for me to notice my gradual losses in the mirror and it takes so long to go down a size in clothes. Weighing myself every several days actually keeps me sane, because when I see those small drops in numbers I'm assured that being on my plan is paying off. (And when I don't see drops, then I know I'm doing something wrong and I need to change it)

Even if the initial number is scary, you'll be glad, after you've lost all the weight, to know exactly how far you've come.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #13  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Buy a scale when you are ready. However, if you don't buy a scale, I encourage you to keep a food journal. Most of us need some accountability system to keep us from that extra bite here, a nibble there...

That being said, it really is an individual decision. I weigh daily. I KNOW that my weight will fluctuate and I can't get freaked out by a 2 lb. gain overnight. But, seeing the numbers go down consistently is a real motivator for me. Like others, it took a long time (several months) before I changed clothing sizes. Now, it happens every few weeks.

I do think you should weigh yourself somewhere, somehow. It is what it is. And some day, you will be glad to know how much weight you actually lost. It was painful for me when I finally stepped on that scale for the first time in 6 years, but - really - I am ever-so-glad that I did. Celebrating hitting ONEDERLAND, celebrating my first 25 lb. loss, celebrating 50, then 75 - were only possible because I had that first painful weigh-in.

Last edited by CountingDown; 05-22-2008 at 09:05 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #14  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I'm with CountingDown. That first weigh-in is scary, I know, but once you've been at it for awhile and you're feeling better about your progress, I think you might regret not knowing for sure where you started.

I used to drive myself crazy with the scale. I'd get on it and freak out when it wouldn't go down (or, God forbid, went UP), then beat myself up about it and be totally counterproductive. But I finally learned to relax about it, and now I weigh myself every day and enter the number into my Google calendar. That way I can see the steady downward pattern over the course of an entire month, rather than focusing on those small daily fluctuations.

In the end, you have to do whatever works for you. But keep in mind that the scale is just a tool like any other, and it doesn't have to be the enemy.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I love having a scale and weighing every morning. But then I'm not the type to obsess or get terribly depressed by the numbers ... so it's a lot about knowing yourself, too.

I weigh at the same time every morning - right after the shower, wearing panties and a bra. I log that number daily. My "official" weigh day is every Monday, and that's the day I use as my official weight ... but it really really helps me to see the daily variations. I tend to worry less now that I know how my weight fluctuates over time ... if my official day weighs higher, I can see from the trend whether it's water weight, my TOM, whatever.

YMMV and all that.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote