Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
Here's my today food (thus far), which is a typical day for me - so far today I have consumed 872 calories:

Coffee
Honey Nut Cheerios w/skim milk
Peanut M&Ms
South Beach Diet Grilled Chicken Caesar Wraps
1 small cucumber
1 medium tomato

Tonight for dinner I will most likely have soup & a half tunafish sandwich, or fish (salmon) & baby carrots and blackeye peas. I'm drinking PLENTY of water (I'm always good about that!) - no sodas (except diet, but haven't had one today anyway) and no sweet tea.

So.... what do y'all think?
If my weight were stuck, I would try extremely clean eating for awhile - no processed foods (SB wraps) and no candy (peanut M&Ms). I think the Honey Nut Cheerios are kinda iffy too (for a clean eating goal - plain would be okay for me).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #17  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
...those who have yo-yoed with their weight for years... have been proven to lower one's metabolism...

From MSNBC Health - Diet & Nutrition:

"...myths that tie weight cycling (also known as yo-yo dieting) to greater regain at the waist or to increased difficulties in future weight loss attempts are unfounded, according to the National Institutes of Health. Research does not support dieting history influencing waistline fat and difficulty losing weight, which both tend to increase with age..."

Maybe it matters what you read, who wrote it, who published it, & who's "doing it"...
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #18  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
If my weight were stuck, I would try extremely clean eating for awhile - no processed foods (SB wraps) and no candy (peanut M&Ms). I think the Honey Nut Cheerios are kinda iffy too (for a clean eating goal - plain would be okay for me).

I eat one treat per day - usually 150 or less calories - but some days I incorporate Peanut M&Ms. I have learned - FOR ME - I have to give myself some sort of treat per day, or I'll eventually go crazy & binge.

As for the Honey Nut Cheerios... that was by my doc's suggestion - I have lowered my bad cholesterol & raised my good cholesterol since I started eating them. But I don't always eat them - sometimes I have oatmeal, sometimes bacon & eggs with a slice of whole grain toast, and sometimes I have just fruit.

And I couldn't live if I had NO processed foods whatsoever, because I am NOT a kitcheny-cook-recipe-eater type of person by any means. Most of my veggies come from the freezer or a can, and I never cook anything from scratch. I'd LOVE to have a desire for cooking, but alas, at 44yo, I doubt I'll ever develop one.

Kinda sad, huh?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #19  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey BeachPatrol,

Every time I try raising my calories, I stall or gain, too! Heh! So, in my case I guess I'm just not at "starvation mode"---

All these different "findings" just point out that each of us has to find out what works in our own case. Some people will need to eat more to lose, others can't. Some have higher metabolism, others don't. Everyone seems to benefit from exercise, though--and from tracking foods. If I don't track what I eat, then I don't know what I should change, or even if there is anything I could change!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #20  
Wastin' Away Again!

I think you're right Jay!

I've lost weight by using different diets/eating methods in the past, but the one thing that was always constant in my success was EXERCISE. And I just haven't been able to the past 6 months. Well - year and a half, really. My body RESPONDS to exercise. Walking & weight lifting. Those are my mainstays, no matter what foods I have chosen to include or exclude.

So I will SURE be glad when I can EXERCISE again. I'm really hoping that will kick-start me on my weight loss efforts, and maybe THIS TIME, once I finally DO lose the weight, I won't gain it back again!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Beach Patrol, how much exercise do you get? Upping strength training can really boost your metabolism, and cardio is excellent for calorie burning. Are you sedentary? I think a sedentary lifestyle can really contribute to a weight that just doesn't budge!

Sort of a non sequitur, but sometimes I wonder if people should really undergo a lifestyle change and move to the city. You walk EVERYWHERE when you live in the the city, and your body stays trim just by virture of having to use your legs wherever you go.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:25 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Oops, I posted before I read your post about exercising!

I hope you will be able to exercise again soon!

Also, when I read your post about what you are eating... If I ate what you ate, I would lose weight. However... I think age plays a HUGE role in metabolism. I'm in my 20's and I know I could lose weight while still eating M&M's (and ice cream and alcohol! thank god!). However, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that when I'm older, this will not be the case, and I will not be able to be as frivolous about my food choices. I don't know how old you are, but if you are at least 35-40, age could be playing a big role as to why you're struggling now vs. in the past....

Just an idea, hope I didn't offend. Everytime I see your avatar, it inspires me to get into shape so I can get into a bikini and look half as good as you do in that pic!

Last edited by jellydisney; 03-07-2008 at 07:27 PM.
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #23  
Rop tú mo baile

S/C/G: 180/151/135

Height: 5'3"

you might try adding some extra fiber to your diet, and really watching sodium.
Try adding some all bran to your yogurt at lunch or snacking on some during the day..it's very low calorie, so it's not something huge to worry about.
hepmelly is offline   Reply With Quote