Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

My mom has always been thin, sometimes even too thin. The women on my father's side of the family tend to be tall and chubby.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #47  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

redlight, where you been??

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #48  
determined

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5'11"

yes it is so frustrating
savanahfloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Hey Jay. I just got really busy and didn't check in.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/192

Height: 5'10

My mother has always been skinny but with a large-ish frame. She doesn't care to eat much. Sigh. Her food choices leave a lot to be desired, and I worry about her nutrition.

Now she's 80 and has dropped too much weight, and it's a concern.

I take after my father, who fought with his weight his whole life. He loved to eat.
BattleAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #51  
Made of Starstuff

First of all, I look absolutely nothing like my mother. I'm 5'9" and she's about 5'2". (She's also shrunk a bit with her old age... >_> so she's possibly shorter!) So, I'm naturally going to be larger than my mother, and probably weigh more than her in a healthy way.

We have, however, both struggled with weight our entire lives. She's lost a lot in the past couple years, and only has about 20 more lbs to lose to get down to a healthier range. I believe she was usually around a size 20, but is now down to about a size 16. Whereas, my highest was a size 24 and am only now a size 22.

On a side note: She's ALWAYS been supportive of my weight loss efforts. And I don't feel competitive with her in any way She's my mum & love her to bits. (Yay for moms ^^)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #52  
absolutely cuckoo

S/C/G: 175/153/133

Height: 5'4

Yep.

My mum was always thin growing up, spent about ten years in the overweight camp before slimming down over the last year by eating regular meals, walking every night and hitting the popsicles when she has a sugar craving. she went from a UK16/18 to a UK10/12 (so she's around a US 8/6.)

Being heavier than your ma is not cool, especially when she has to factor in the size of her chest and you're barely pushing a B cup. I've never been thin.
Wires and Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #53  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

My mom and I have very different builds - My shoulders have been broader than hers since I was a teenager. For most of her life she was about 110 and 5'2". This, despite having 7 kids! A week after delivering one of my sisters she was wearing a fitted size 3 dress. This drove me nuts in high school.
About 5 years ago she had a hysterectomy and gained weight from that. Since then I have been thinner, although I'm still the largest of my sisters. (One is a 2/4, one is an 8, and one was a 6/8 before she got pregnant. I've been a 10/12 for years.)
Very interesting topic.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 AM   #54  
Lola is Back!

S/C/G: 226/Ticker/125

I love this topic.
Mothers be good to your daughters!

I was raised by a size 4-6 mother who hated that she had 4 husky daughters.
None of us were ever obese -- size 10's / size 12's. We were made to feel that we were somehow less since we were bigger than her ideal.

The result is all of us still struggle with Body Image and self esteem. Two have full blown eating disorders.

I am breaking this cycle with my daughter -- who luckily is a very normal size/weight. We never talk about being over weight in our house -- we talk about being healthy.

It's hard though when you were raised by a stay at home Mom who only worried about staying a size 6!
Lola125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #55  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

This is a great thread! My whole life my mom struggled with her weight. She was 5'2 and like 95 lbs in high school though. After my brother and I were born if we didn't finish our food she would. I don't know exactly how heavy she got but I would venture to guess 250. She got big at different times. When I was a teen I remember her bing very big. I was 220 when I was 15 then lost down to 160 for a few years. By the time I was in my early 20's I was 220-240 and my mom was losing. lol That was embarrassing for me. She had always been big all my life and she was still overweight but not huge like she used to be. I was the huge one.

She got down to about a 14/16. Part of it was her health though. I remember one time in the hospital she was sick and almost died, she told me she was 139. I didn't believe it. I couldn't fathom it. WOW!

Anyhow she also had cirrhosis of the liver so even though she was getting skinnier her tummy was still huge toward the last few years.

My eldest dd is 15 and is 310 lbs. She is like 5'6. I am not happy about this and I have done everything to encourage good nutrition, dragged her on walks, everything. She has flat out told me and the doctor she doesn't care.

All I can think is how embarrassing it was for me in my 20's and my mom was skinnier, now my dd is 15 and we are nearly 100 pounds diffeernt. That would be terrible.

If my mom were alive now I know I would look thinner than her. I even have some of her old clothes and now they are too big for me. I am 5'4 she was 5'2. She passed on at 5'2 from the hepatitis. I miss her

Glory it was so nice seeing your moms pictures! I need to scan some of my mom.

Last edited by Jasmine31; 02-20-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlight View Post
You have a teenage daughter? Lumifan, I thought you were younger.
awwww....redlight...thank you for the compliment. No...actually i have 3 daughters. i have one who is almost 17 and one is 8 and one is about to turn 6 this saturday. I had my first one a year after high school. I feel like i am younger than i am. I feel like i'm in my 20's but i'm really in my 30's. But thank you so much for the compliment and don't be a stranger!!!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #57  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Uh...technically, yes. My mom is about 7 inches shorter than me, though, so it's not a fair comparison.

She was always quite thin until my grandfather passed away 21 years ago. She fell into a fit of depression and gained all her weight, then it crept up quite high. I remember her, when I was about 8 to 9 years old, just looking so puffy. She's dropped a lot of it between then and now, but her side of the family is made up of plump Irish women. :P

I inherited my father's genes (like so many others said). Tall, broad, naturally muscular - good German stock. Great for birthin' babies, not so good for keeping a socially appealing weight. Most women on his side of the family (by blood) are plumper, but even when we're not our doctors nag us to drop the pounds because our BMIs are too high (I'm shooting for 160 pounds but I recall being comfortable anywhere up to 180).
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 01:35 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 280/260/175

Height: 5'7

Red face Thank You

I am SOOOO glad I am not the only person who feels that way. My mom has always been (and still is) beautiful. Men in their twenties would hit on her and ignore me, even when I was a teenager.
It's bothered me my whole life, but I thought I was being ridiculous.
ElayneRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #59  

My mohter is thinner than I am. Mom always cooked healthy meals. Lots of time as a teenager I just chose to eat out. Mom is very active and works in her flower and gardens. i get my genes from my father.I am the heaviest of us girls. My sister is a health nut and another sister is on weight watchers. I guess I should have kept it off when i have lost it before.My oldest daughter is a rail. My youngest tends to gain and loose about 10lbs and at 5'3" it shows. I cant wait to be as thin as my sisters. I am also the tallest of us girls.
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:45 PM   #60  
PielCanela

S/C/G: 209/214/170

yeah, she has always been about size 10 and petite, me, Im a lot taller and bigger, have been all my life and just now I've stopped worrying and punishing myself about it
life is great
i can do this
Nightingale68 is offline   Reply With Quote