Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #1  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Default What's Going On?

Okay, so I joined a gym a little over 3 weeks ago, I go 5-6 days a week, cardio of some form every time I go and weight training every other time. The scale hasn't moved. Yes I know that muscle weighs more than fat and I'm likely building muscle. In fact I can definitely FEEL that certain muscles have gotten harder and a bit bigger (especially in my biceps, shoulders and quads). So what has me so confused is that my jeans are fitting TIGHTER. And these are old jeans that I've had forever so they can't be all of a sudden shrinking in the wash . Sure they have always fit snugger when they first come out of the dryer but in no time they stretch and are comfortable...but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore! They seem to be remaining tight especially in the thigh and waist. What the heck?!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Could be muscle! That's why they call it "firmed up." If your weight is dropping, then it shouldn't be a cause for concern. Eventually you will lose enough fat from those areas to more than make up for the firmed muscle.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

that's what has me confused though...my weight isn't dropping...maybe I'm just building muscle and not yet burning fat so the new muscle is actually adding? *shrug*
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

It is more likely to be water retention from the lifting. You could be building some muscle but building more than 1lb of muscle in a month is virtually impossible. More likely it is that your muscles are holding water which makes them seem firmer and bigger and which stops the scale from moving. Stick with it, you'll lose eventually.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #5  
Meg

Unfortunately, it IS possible to get bigger with exercise if you don't lose any fat. Any muscle you build (and Baff is right, it takes a long time to add a few pounds of muscle) will push out the existing fat and make you bigger.

That's why it's essential to lose fat while you build muscle. And you lose fat through cardio and controlling calories. I know you said you're doing cardio 5 - 6 days a week -- are you doing it long and intensely enough to really burn some calories?

And how about your eating plan? Exercise can increase your appetite and it's easy to overeat after a tough workout if we're not careful. Do you track your calories and weigh and measure portions? Do you think you might be eating more than you did before you started going to the gym?

It's awesome that you've added the gym to your life and I can guarantee it will only help your weight loss and maintenance in the long run! Bit I know you don't want tight jeans in the short run, so maybe consider your eating and cardio. If those are A-OK, then yeah, it's got to be water retention, which will pass.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote