Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-06-2007, 02:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/195.5/130

Height: 5'3" - On a tall day.

Question Scale question

How often do those of you who use a scale weigh yourselves, and what type of scale(s) do you use and/or find most accurate? TIA!
10Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:40 AM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I weigh myself twice a day and I consider that restraint ! Once in the morning and once right before I go to bed (so that I have an idea of what my weight will be in the morning and there aren't any unpleasant surprises ).

Once in a while, I'll also weigh myself after working out, but usually only if I've worked out in the morning and haven't eaten yet. I weigh myself then because that is usually my lowest weight and it's nice to see that low number on the scale (even lower if I sat in the sauna for a bit after working out and I've showered and dried my hair).

I use a $30 Homedics digital scale. It seems pretty accurate; it agrees with both the scales at my gym and my doctor's office. It does round my weight to the nearest .5 lb, but that's been fine for me. If you are in the market for a scale, definitely spring for a digital one.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I usually weigh once a day (but sometimes less frequently) in the morning when I get up. I have a Tanita scale that tells body fat percentage and total water percentage as well as weight. It can be programmed for two users.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I weigh in once a week-first thing in the morning.

Also, the best thing you can do for accuracy is get a good scale, and use the SAME ONE. Your scale will probably differ slightly from your doctors or best friends.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I weigh myself every single day. I avoided the scale for 15 years prior to my lifestyle change. Yes, I KNEW that I was morbidly obese, but I think that had I made it my business to weigh myself on a regular basis, that I would have been much more AWARE of the actual number and my actual body and maybe, just maybe things wouldn't have gotten so out of hand.

I will continue to weigh myself everyday, to keep in tune with myself and to know what's going on with my weight. It's just one more way to hold myself accountable. I have learned to not let those daily fluctuations bother me. I know that they are unavoidable. I weigh myself first thing in the morning.

I have a Tanita scale. I find it to be very accurate. But the most important thing is to use the same scale at the same time of day. Scales do vary.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #6  
Meg

Every day, first thing in the morning. Data coming from the National Weight Control Registry shows that successful maintainers weigh themselves frequently, often daily but at least weekly.

I think it would be much harder to gain or regain weight if we forced ourselves to step on the scale every morning and then to write the number down on a chart. It's a lot harder to live in denial that way (which I did for years!!)
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:07 AM   #7  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

I have a digital scale from Costco. I weigh myself daily, after the morning bathroom break - as many others. I like to know how my weight fluctuates with time, although I only update my ticker once a week.

I have no idea how accurate the scale is, but it seems to be consistent, so it works to track trends. If I'm actually a few lbs lighter or heavier, that's fine with me - the number is dropping, which is what is important.

Jax
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #8  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Morning and night, religiously (that's where I stand there praying "Dear Lord, PLEASE make it a smaller number!" ). I have a digital Salter.

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have the Tanita 'Jenny Craig' model and I find it very accurate. I, too, weigh myself daily, as it's much easier for me to slide off plan if I don't. For awhile it drove me a little batty, but once I got used to the fluctuations I was fine.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #10  
I restore Teeth.

about once a month, exactly 5 days after TOM. I'm paranoid about water fluctuation.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

My scale is from Sharper image. I got it because I thought it looked cool. I try not to obsess on it's accuracy. In the long run, a few pounds don't matter. I used to have a balance scale. It was my favorite, but I think it contrubuted to scale obsession.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1108/...5d1d0eef_m.jpg
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 140/127/115

Height: 5'4"

I usually weigh myself every morning, but only record the results once a week. Usually Fridays, the others days are just to make sure I'm staying on track or to motivate me when I feel like slipping.

I have two scales, one digital and one dial. The digital is easier to read, but the dial is more accurate.
ButterflyDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I weigh myself every morning, and I use a Tanita.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote