Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-19-2007, 12:58 PM   #1  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Default Do you ever wonder if people worry about...

Ok had not idea how to word this thread. Do you ever wonder if people worry about how you lost so much weight. Here is an example. My mom has been very supportive of my weight loss. That was until I called her and was talking to her and I told her I lost 20 lbs in 2 months. Almost I soon as I said that I heard is it healthy to loss that much so fast, and carefully worded question to see if I was losing in an unhealthy way. Then I had to go back and detail how I lost weight and that I was not taking any drugs just a One-a-day vitamin and niacin. I don't starve myself of do any of that. I just count calories and exercise (when I can) and drink water. Thats it other than eating whole foods and lean meats and low cal. stuff for a snack.

So now whenever I talk of my weight loss I make sure I tell it first how I lost the weight. Just so no one things I did things in an unhealthy or dangerous manner.

Anyone else have this issue.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #2  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Not really for me. When I first started losing I thought, great, people may think I am on speed! But these same people see me walking ALL over town for the past 2 years. By now they are probably thinking what is taking her SO LONG to hit goal weight? hahahahahahah
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I have had people question but I always think, especially when it's my mom, that they're doing it out of genuine concern. I'm sure you mom was too. Did she seem okay with it once you explained everything?
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Yes, I'm sure certain people are the type of folks who would say something behind my back, although no one except my mother has ever voiced concern (and I'm sure some jealousy may be masked as "concern" for some folks). My mom would watch me like a hawk. She's just a concerned mom, though. She knows I got to my highest weight by being unhealthy so she was just making sure I didn't lose it in the same fashion.

Last edited by junebug41; 08-19-2007 at 09:51 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Being a parent myself, of grown children, I can understand your mom's concerns, especially if she doesn't personally see you on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

Plus 21 pounds in 2 months, at your beginning weight, does sound like a lot. As a parent...and not judging AT ALL...but speaking as a parent I would be concerned too...if I didn't know how you lost the weight.

CONGRATULATIONS on your success!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

yep ~ what my friend Jen just said!
Old 08-19-2007, 01:28 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

My way around this is simply not to talk about details like that. I realize that with family it's a different matter, though. People say, You've lost a lot of weight, haven't you? And I say, Yes. That's it. I don't go into how much, how long, etc. If they then want to ask, I may say Oh, about 40 pounds. But I change the subject pretty quick. I just don't like to discuss my weight loss, and I don't have to!

By the way, 20 pounds in two months is awfully fast... No, it's not bad--I'll bet that you lost more in the first weeks than in the later ones, correct?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #8  
We can do it.

S/C/G: 160/127/120

Thats right Jay. The first 2- 2 1/2 weeks I lost 8-10lbs. Part of that was switching to just straight water and cutting a lot of sugary caffeine drinks out. from then on out its been closer to 1-2lbs a week. Sometimes 3 in a week.

I know her reaction was out of love and concern. I have a past drug problem and my little sister currently has a drug problem so I am sure that was a concern for her.
need2loseinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

OIC. In that case, it's understandable she'd worry. I'm glad you're not doing drugs now!

Jay
Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #10  
A Work In PROGRESS

S/C/G: 128/see ticker/116

yes! i kept my weight loss quiet and never told my friends because i didnt want them to make a big deal... only my family. anyways they sat me down for a serious chat and asked me if i was starving myself!!!!!!?!?!?!? and i was like..... me?! starving?! thats the first time those two words have been in the same sentence as eachother!!!!!!!! and i eventually told them and now ... yes they are making it a huge deal!! like saying i dont need to wen i clearly know i need to for the sake of my own health! so all in all yeah i do worry!
FlabbyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Yup, I've been asked if I did it on purpose or was I sick.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey, yeah, someone asked me that, too, once. But she works in the medical field and is hypervigilant about illness...

Jay
Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/149/135

Height: 5'7

People who don't know me very well will asked me "what's your secret?" or "What are you taking?" And when i tell them, no secret--just exercise and healthy eating...they look at me like I'm a big fat liar. Like if your overweight the only way you could possibly lose weight is to be on drugs or some fad diet. Grr.
People who do know me don't even ask, because they can see that I've really undergone an entire life style change not a diet.
Trendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #14  
Meg

What drives me nuts is people - especially doctors - just assuming that I had weight loss surgery, without even asking. Because apparently no one can lose 122 pounds with diet and exercise alone.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Well MEG that's just 'cause the doctors don't understand how tough gals like you and JAY are!