Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 11:49 AM   #16  
Must Shrink.

I'm painting our bathroom. It's been on my list of things to do since March when we replaced a leaking sink. In Oct. I did a broken-tile mosaic back-splash, and finally I'm getting the painting done. We have an old claw-footed tub, and although I love them, a multitude of sins live below it. It's really not fair to have to clean under the tub. Anyway, I've got two coats of primer up, and once it's good and dry, I'll be doing my top coat. I had painted this bathroom 3 years ago, but chose a blue too dark for the room, north light, and John has been complaining ever since. It was my goal once my course was over to get this room done before Jan 7 when my next course starts.

I'm eating popcorn, the rest of my house is a disaster, and for some reason the cable is out. I don't want to call them in case it's been cut! John swears he paid them last week...

I suppose I should call.

We're going to spend New Years with John's mom in Chatham, Ont. 3 hours away. The armpit of Ontario. She is rather down, and in a moment of good daughter-in-law-ness, I said we'd come visit.

She's on her own caring for her mother, who is becoming less able to get around the house safely, and cannot communicate due to strokes. Frustration and guilt, gets to you after a while.
I'm in rambling mode today I guess!

bye ~

Lois
Old 12-28-2001, 10:14 PM   #17  
Hot Stuff

Lamorgan, how goes the painting? I agree 100%...one just shouldn't have to dust UNDER a bathtub! I suppose the charm of the claw-foot tub would compensate somewhat, though? Good for you, starting the new calendar year on a charitable note. I'm sure your MIL will be very happy for the company.

Flower, is Grif still taking antibiotics? They may be contributing to the "runs". Hope the bead store cheered you up....get anything pretty?

RUTHIE!!!!!! How was dinner? All set, excited, and motivated for Day One of your program? How does this stuff taste? Gosh, I hope you tested it before committing! Check in with us tomorrow and let us know how it is?

No great news here today, other than they let us go home from work at 2pm, which was nice. I'm feeling kinda achey-fevery and trying to kill whatever it might be with echinacea. Think I'm going to crawl in bed with cat-warmers.
Old 12-29-2001, 06:25 AM   #18  
Must Shrink.

The painting is going well; just need a 2nd coat and I'm done. That's the problem when you're covering up a dark colour. 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of colour! Ach! Anyway, can't believe how big the bathroom looks now. The kids are going into Hamilton with John today to spend their paper-delivery tips. They have some McDonalds coupons, so they'll have fun. I'll paint.

Have a good day everyone!

L
Old 12-29-2001, 08:48 AM   #19  

Wow, Wildfire, it never occurred to me to test taste it! I hope it's not disgusting. My Last Meal was good -- although I have this cold, and I had put drops in my ears b/c they itched so bad, so I was kind of deaf, which made conversation a little difficult (what? what? what did you say? what?). I left a lot of my entree on my plate, and everyone was trying to urge me to binge and eat past the point of fullness, and I was like, that's what got me in this predicament in the first place! I recently acquired the skill of stopping when I'm full, and I really enjoy being able to do that -- very empowering, not to mention I hate that feeling of a distended stomach. Better than the food was the fact that everyone expressed their support, and wished me the best in my endeavor. Two of the friends there recently quit smoking, so we all agreed to call each other if we were going nuts on our programs. To tell the truth, I was really touched at how supportive everyone was. I'm still feeling really warm inside b/c of it.

Hey Flower, don't worry about the binge. Sometimes life is like that. Hope all goes well with the Rio.

Lamorgan, wow, you are so productive! I am so bad with stuff like that, I am always in awe of people who actually do things to beautify their homes .

I should get going; I have to go pick up my "product," as the program director calls the shakes, and get oriented to this program. Drinking black coffee this morning for the first time in years! I will report back after going to the clinic, and after tasting the junk. Have a good day, everybody!
Old 12-29-2001, 09:50 AM   #20  
Hot Stuff

Hubby's life expectancy has just diminished severely. That achey-fevery feeling I had last night has turned into the beginning of a cold....HIS cold I would assume. Grrrrrr. At least I have the next four days at home to fight it. I hate, hate, hate having a cold!

Lamorgan I've had to cover dark colours before, and it is worth it in the end to do the extra work with 2 coats of primer and 2 of colour. What colour are you painting with now? I don't think you said. Remember when we were kids and how exciting it was to have money to spend AND get to have lunch at McDonald's? Things were much simpler then, weren't they?

Ruthie, that's fantastic that you have support from your friends. Funny you mentioned that you've recently learned to stop when you are full. I've recently discovered that I don't have to eat if I'm not hungry. There have been several nights that I've come home after work not starving and didn't cook a big meal anyway. Hubby and daughter weren't so pleased when I just fixed a bowl of soup or a sandwich, but they're capable of feeding themselves. I'm trying to let go of the mentality that I have to cook every night and keep a perfectly clean home. I'm tired of chasing my tail in circles to keep up with it all. I've always told myself I had to get everything done before I could sit and read or cross-stitch or whatever it was that I wanted to do. Usually I ended up too tired! Good for you for not bingeing when encouraged....I find I end up more hungry the day after, and you don't need that on your first day. What are you allowed to have along with the shakes? Just beverages? I hope the shakes taste good!

Flower, at least you got a response to your e-mail. Think how you would feel if you didn't know the big-wigs were out of the office! If you don't hear anything by the end of next week, contact them again.

I am going to see Lord of the Rings for the second time at noon. I saw it with hubby on Boxing day (the 26th), but one of the girls at work really wanted to see it and had no one to go with, so I volunteered. I find it strange, but that's because I have no problem whatsoever going to a movie by myself. If there's something I want to see and no one is interested, I go anyway! I'm there for the movie, not the conversation.

So, I'm hoping that a cup of really hot tea will help my sore throat before I go. Will check back later.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:56 AM   #21  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

baby in lap, no capitals or punctuation grif has the roto virus up to 10 days of the runs gotta go back in on monday if not better this is making me so grumpy i can't take any more bad news i need some me time

ok i feel better never made it to the bead store read my journal not gonna moan here too i think i am looking forward to going back to work i will be unattached to griffin he is so clingy all the projects have been put on hold ughhhh till nap time flower
Old 12-29-2001, 07:39 PM   #22  

Poor Grif, and poor Flower...hope all are back on track soon.

I feel awful.......weak and headachey and hungry and tired plus I still have this head cold.

OK, here's the deal...turns out I had a choice between mixing powder with water for the drinks, or ready made in a little 8 oz. juice box for 25 cents extra a container, so I went for ready made. I am on the full fast program, so I have nothing but 5 of these juice boxes full of chocolate or French vanilla drink a day (strawberry will be back in stock next week...but it would be nice if they had cheese flavored ). They also have a chicken soup that has hardly any chicken in it, but she doesn't want me to start on that till I've been on full fast for a while. Wow, how am I ever going to exercise feeling the way I do? I know it will just take time to get used to. That's why I took next week off work, to give myself a chance to adjust in my own home at my own pace.

I guess I'll go lay down for a while. I was gabbing for hours with the Guy, and he said he'd call me later. I have a lot of anxiety about him, although I'm too wiped out to feel it now...I'm so afraid I'm wasting my time with him b/c maybe he doesn't like me as much as I like him, or with the certainty I feel, and after he finally admits he wants to run away I'll be older and even more cynical ... or maybe I will have met somebody great who was a good friend and could be in the future ... somebody help me out here, I never knew how to do this, I guess that's why I kept getting married! OK, off to the sofa. I have one drink left for today. I feel like crap. God willing tomorrow will be better, and a week from today I will have adjusted quite well.

Oh, it tastes good, although frankly I'm not enough of a sweets person to enjoy these flavors all day long, but I know most people would. It tastes like a shake.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:42 PM   #23  
Hot Stuff

Oh, Flower....sorry you're having such a rough week. *hugs* Hang in there....where there are valleys there are hills, and I hope that soon you're back on top of that hill gazing up at the stars.

Ruthie, now you listen to me, young lady! You stop all this worrying about Guy (there, I've given him an official name) and whether or not he shares the same level of interest that you do. If you obsess over it too much, you're going to miss out on all that wonderful getting-to-know-you stuff that happens when a relationship develops. Enjoy it and him without second guessing yourself. If it does turn out that he isn't Mr. Right, hopefully you will have a near and dear friend to count on. We all know what a wonderful, intelligent, caring, ambitious person you are, and I'm sure he sees all that and more...why would he even have agreed to meet you if he didn't? So relax and have some fun together!(Okay, lecture over. ) Good idea, taking the time off work to get used to the fast. Having a cold probably has something to do with how you're feeling. Hopefully after a couple of days the hunger will diminish and you'll feel better. I think for me the worst part would be missing the texture and taste of different foods. At least the shakes taste okay.

Hubby went out to buy me soup, OJ, and echinacea, and has been doing a marvelous job of looking after me. (He fears for his life.) I'm feeling a bit better, and I'll know tomorrow if I've beaten it or if it's taking hold.
Old 12-30-2001, 05:48 AM   #24  

Aw shucks, Wildfire, stop flattering me.

It's 5:40 AM, there is a full, silver, perfectly circular moon raging outside my window, and I'm trying hard to feel better. Coffee is helping. I CAN do this, God willing. I have to pare everything else away except focusing on my goals.

Wildfire, rationally I know you're right about (the) Guy, but I am a wreck emotionally. I was never good at this, but I have been trying hard to avoid at least some of the pitfalls I have stumbled into before. My biggest problem is that ability to become obsessed, and to center my life around a man. I need to stay myself, and stay focused on what's important (didn't I just say that? my brain is starved). I have been thinking (especially when I was up at night yet again thinking about it) that I should take a few days off from talking to him. I just need to get back on track, and force myself to live life without constantly talking to him. I need to come up for air, especially now, if I am going to have a hard time adjusting to this fast. Focus, focus, focus.
Old 12-30-2001, 08:28 AM   #25  
deleted2

Hi Everybody!

Ruthie, I think it's safe to assume that if 'the guy' is talking to you for hours he's really into you and wanting to get to know you better. Enjoy the ride! I've been with the same guy for 18 years and it's great to be so comfortable but I remember fondly the 'getting to know you tingles'. Enjoy!

Also, I've had a bit of experience with fasting [nothing like what you're undertaking tho!] and after the 3rd day or so I got that light, euphoric feeling and wasn't hungry anymore--and I remember coming off a 5 day fast and having 1/2 an orange and it was bliss!

Fasting actually sounds appealing to me because I've gotta tell you I overdid it this holiday with food! Truthfully, I'm feeling pretty miserable---lots of bad choices. And my 'spa vacation' didn't turn out to be all that great. Things just kept coming up; we were sick, funeral to attend, the ever-delightful emergency home repair--so our time just got all chopped up and stressful and now it's almost over. Still have 3 more days though!

Flower, I hope you're feeling less overwhelmed than last week. Is it just me or is anyone else glad that Xmas is over?

Wildfire, maybe the duration of your cold will be mercifully short. Keep chugging those liquids!

Lamorgan, are you done with your painting? We painted our little closet of a bathroom bright yellow a few months ago and it really wakes you up in the morning!

I'm getting back to it today, girls. The Wicked Eydie in me is pulling at me to go out NOW to one of those monster breakfast buffet places and just go for it "one more time" and the Angelic Eydie is saying to make a omelette with fat free cheese and tons of vegetables here at home. I'll let you know how it turns out. The Eternal Struggle Between Good And Evil........

Old 12-30-2001, 11:51 AM   #26  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

WEll, time to party. I haven't changed a poopy diaper in 12 hours. Can you say YIPPY!!!!! I went thru 50 plus diapers in 36 hours. Thank goodness for Walmart!

I am going to the indoor swap meet in an hour. I am in search for a good looking silk tree to display my fairy ornaments year round. I can make one, but the swap meet ones are nice too. So I would rather get it done already. Time is more valueable right now.

I had a long talk with SO last night. I am feeling so out of sorts. I think the events have just caught up with me. I think that is what is causeing the crappy eatting and unusual behavior.

My girlfriend is rescuing me tomorrow at 9 am. We are gonna do girl stuff. Gotta get my check and to the bank but then we are off to the bead shops and then to the malls and maybe out to lunch. She is gonna be my "knight" and save my sanity! Then on Tuesday I am going to start my diet all bright eyed and bushy tailed!!!!

Thank goodness for a new beginning, even if it is just a new start on the new calender. Jan 1st is just another day, but it seems light a breath of fresh air!!!! ~flower
Old 12-30-2001, 02:55 PM   #27  
Must Shrink.

I'm painting the bathroom an off-white. The paint was given to me (for free) by my sister, and the room is now very bright! The white has a great deal of warmth in it, some yellow or something, so it isn't cold and stark. I have never painted a room white before. My daughter says I'm entering a new, weird, dull stage. I usually paint things vivid colours, but feel very monochromatic lately... John is working on a cabinet for this same room, to my (ha) specifications.... 80 years ago they obviously didn't have as much crap in their bathrooms... Ha ha. Maybe they stored everything under the tub.

My children are driving me crazy. I far too many it seems. Although I no longer have one in diapers (nearly 2 years since Evan was!) I still can understand your totally touched-out feeling, Flower. How is his face? I suppose it will take time.

Today I've been scrubbing the kitchen staircase walls, and may actually prime them. All of a sudden I can see all the tasks that need to be done, and it's very overwhelming...

Take care everyone!

L
Old 12-30-2001, 06:47 PM   #28  
Hot Stuff

Ruthie, I get what you're getting at. That may take some effort, consciously trying to keep yourself a little bit detached when you really want the whole deal with Guy. Just be sure to try to balance the time you spend talking to him with time doing things that you have set your goals on. Perhaps assume the mentality that you will go about your regular daily tasks and find time to fit him in, rather than putting yourself in the position of trying to find time to fit in your regular daily things. Might that work? How are you feeling after day two on the program?

Eydie, sorry to hear your spa vacation didn't work out the way you'd hoped. Yes, I'm glad Xmas is over! I am looking forward to a fresh start. Which one of you won out for breakfast?

Flower, glad today is better for you (and Grif!). Also glad to hear your friend is taking you out tomorrow. Sounds like just what you need.

Lamorgan, isn't it amazing how many different shades of white there are available? That would be a big change from a dark blue. And yes, the problem with doing one room is that you then need to tackle every other room!

So girls, tomorrow is the last day of the year. I've spent the year going up and down 10 pounds. Can you believe it? A whole year!!! I know that I can control my diet. What I need is to get into exercising. Three weeks to form a habit, right? Somehow I am going win this battle in 2002.

Anyone have any suggestions on mini-challenges? Seems like we are all ready for a fresh start. (Of course, Ruthie has already started.) Personally, I am going to focus on 5lbs at a time, or perhaps to start I'm aiming to reach 175 again, then down to 170, and so on. Anyone have any great workout video recommendations? I've been thinking I may even get adventurous and look into low-impact aerobic classes or aqua-aerobics. I've done them in the past and was successful in losing weight. If I can lose that first 15lbs or so, I'll look into joining a gym.

Are you girls with me on this? Time to shake things up in the Alternative corner!
Old 12-31-2001, 06:59 AM   #29  

OK, another day, another set of challenges. Last night I woke up around 12:30 and had a sixth shake -- I just couldn't stand the nausea anymore. The program director wanted me to buy some of their snack bars for "just in case," but I was all about being strict -- I may need to buy some when I go back to the clinic on Thursday. Actually, though, the sixth shake along with a pill (can't remember the name, brain still starved) my doc prescribed for nausea with migraines seemed to do the trick, and after that I slept through most of the night. Now, if I could just get my head unclogged I might be ok. I was avoiding taking cold medicine yesterday b/c I was so nauseous, I thought it would make it worse, but I may need to break down and take some. Clearly, I will also have to be realistic about this whole thing: I'm off work this week, but I do have typing to do (I did one report yesterday and felt like I was going to vomit) and I do have to go back to work next week. If I can't function, I can't do the full fast. I also have two essays due for school tomorrow; hopefully I can fudge my way through those.

Wildfire, I bought a couple exercise videos in preparation for this fast -- I was hoping to at least do the "2 mile walk" today; I'll let you know how it is.

Good for you, Flower, taking a girls' day out. Lamorgan, you might need one too !

Eydie, I know what you mean about fasting actually feeling good -- I'm actually surprised at how awful I feel, and I have to assume it's because of this stupid cold. Bad timing...
Old 12-31-2001, 09:06 AM   #30  
deleted2

Well, Good Eydie won out yesterday morning and I had a big low-fat breakfast at home. Sigh...Even tho I wanted to go for the big bad one out!

I'm SO BEYOND READY to get back on my program!!! Back in November I had a great month--the entire month I ate so well and felt so incredibly good. And in December I tossed all that away and now I feel all lethargic and bloat-y. When I was doing so well in November I loved how I felt about myself; I felt like I was in control, like I wasn't a food addict, etc. And now I feel like I've lost it all and why did I go this route again? I felt so good--I found a plan that absolutely worked for me and why would I ever deliberately give it up? I feel like I'm in a totally different mind-set now and I don't like it. So I'll have to claw my way back to where I was before--same old pattern for me!

Flower, I'm glad you're getting out today--Have fun!

Lamorgan, one thing at a time, girl! I wish I could catch some of your ambition and get started on some projects I've been putting off.

Ruthie, I hope things get better for you. Did anyone tell you to expect these symptoms? Is your cold any better?

Wildfire, yeah, I'm thrilled that everybody feels ready to get back to it again! Do you want to set us up for our first challenge?

Closed Thread