Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #1  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Default Low cal/point camping options?

I am going camping this weekend and need some help to stay on track!

What are somethings you guys takes (besides fruit and veggies) to help keep you on track when camping?

I am currently on weight watchers - but know calorie counting! so I am open to low points or calories - whatever it is you know!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #2  
Queen of Everything

Height: 5'5

i've made in the past a big pot of soup/stew and just stuck the whole thing in the cooler for dinner the first night... also maybe... baked potato, corn on the cob, grilling veggies is pretty easy when you're camping if you're prepared when you get there, pre-packed little glad containers of awesome salads with all the trimmins, sugar free hot cocoa, for breakfast you could do a whole grain english muffin with egg, etc... instant oatmeal is pretty filling even in small quantities, you could even do like a chicken stir-fry and omit the rice... or grilled fish maybe with a little lemon-pepper (they have those little fish racks for over a fire)? pre-boiled eggs are a good portable snack...

oh just a warning - veggie hotdogs tend to melt in a campfire... fall right of ths stick.

have fun!
Mdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

there's always grilled chicken breast over a campfire or grill, i suppose for dinner. tuna and pickles don't have to be refridgerated. i agree with veggies on the grill...corn on the cob....make little aliumum wraps of veggies with onions, zucinni, potatoes...whatever you like and cook 'em on the grill.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #4  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Well fruits and veggies are a good start! Other snack options could be beef jerky or turkey jerky, nuts or trail mix, goldfish crackers or other crackers (wheat thins, trisquits), rice cakes, low cal/fat high fiber/protein granola bars, low fat string cheese, cereal (if you like snacking on dry cereal), celery with peanut butter, carrots or broccoli or any other veggies with hummus, lots of fruit, baked potato chips/tortilla chips/pita chips, pretzels, dried fruit, olives, pickles, etc.

For meals try kabobs, they can be very healthy! You can either cook the meat before you go or do it over the campfire, chicken is a better option than beef and put on lots of veggies of course! Peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. just brush with a little teriyaki sauce sauce and you're good to go. Maybe veggie dogs instead of a regular hot dog (although someone warned above that they don't cook well on sticks), if everyone else is having cheeseburgers you can too, but make it a small one, skip the bun and put lots of toppings like lettuce, tomato, green pepper, cucumber, onion and mustard or a little ketchup (no mayo!) or have a veggie burger. For sides have corn on the cob or other grilled veggies, you can put them on skewers or in tin foil pouches to make them easier to cook, cous cous is also very well suited for camping because you just add hot water and stick the pot over the fire for 5 minutes. Maybe make a dish or two before you go to bring along, for example you can make potato salad....but instead of mayo based potato salad make a german style potato salad (usually made with vinegar, olive oil and dijon mustard) and add in some onion, pickles and/or celery. Or maybe you could make a nice rice dish to go along.

As far as dessert if people are having smores just toast a marshmallow or two and skip the chocolate and graham crackers. Fruit is always a good option for dessert but pick one that feels like dessert so you're more likely to be satisfied. For example when I have an apple it doesn't seem like dessert to me, but strawberries or watermelon do.

For drinks skip the soda and stick to water, plain, sparkling, flavored, whatever. Maybe have some sugar free hot chocolate for the chilly nights.

For breakfast choose cantaloup, low fat granola, a meal replacement shake, or if you're cooking use egg whites instead of whole eggs, turkey bacon or canadian bacon, etc. or try a whole grain bagel with light cream cheese or peanut butter or sugar free jam

Most of all control your portions, sitting around the campfire can lead to mindless munching so watch out for that!

Have a great time on your trip!!!

Last edited by wisher; 07-13-2007 at 04:59 PM.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I love camping food!

You should regulate your food, and all that, but don't forget that camping is an excellent opportunity to get some extra exercise in! A nice long hike during the afternoon will mean more leeway when it comes to dinner.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/142/135

I second what everyone else said.. if you're looking for more traditional 'camp' food, lean burgers w/ lots of veggies on whole grain buns are good, as are reduced fat hot dogs w/ whole grain buns, mustard, and sauerkraut.. baked beans are a bit high in calories, but not too bad. S'mores shouldn't be so bad either with just 1 actual graham (reduced fat), one marshmallow and one piece of chocolate.. a yummy treat!
MAMA2CHUNKEYMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:20 AM   #7  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

My favorite main dish is Beef Stew..you can make it rather low-fat and then just keep it in a cooler until you're ready to heat it up.

I suggest taking some dried fruits like mango, bananas and apples. And some low-cal protein bars. These come in handy if you're going hiking on trails while you're there.

Other than that...I personally HAVE to have hot dogs when camping...I just make them veggie hotdogs with Chili-flavored mustard *YUM!*. I also use flour tortillas instead of buns. I can usually use one BIG flour tortilla for 3 hotdogs (not saying I EAT 3 hotdogs). If you do that I think it would be under 500 calories for 3 with the wrap. I'd be pretty stuffed. lol

Good luck!
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote