Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Default How hungry are you?

This question has two parts:
1. Do you feel reasonably satified with the food on your plan? My plan is to eat as "clean" as possible - fresh fruit and veggies, lean meat whole grains and pretty much all homemade so I know what is in it. I control portions of meat and starches, but not fruit and veggies. I don't have a problem with not being able to stop eating grapes or peaches or celery. I am eating much more and feeling much less hungry than I have on previous diets. I am quite happy with the results, so far.

2. How do you know if you are "really" hungry? I have trouble with this one. It seems like way-back-when my stomach used to growl, but I haven't noticed that in years. Sometimes I feel like I should go get something to eat, but it isn't some feeling in my stomach. I think maybe I am just looking for something to do. LOL. If I distract myself with tv or turn on the computer the desire to eat goes away. Then all of a sudden I am really hungry, desperate to eat, and because I am so hungry, it is hard not to just wolf something down. I try for three meals with a morning and afternoon snack, but sometimes it doesn't work just right.

I have been trying to eat healthy food, exclusively, since January. I have had a small treat here and there, but not much. I discovered that I don't even want the dried fruit I got at Costco, because it is way, way too sweet. I read the label, and it says dried apples, dried apricots etc, and doesn't say anything about added sugar. It must be that dried fruit, by definition, contains added sugar. Anyway, I feel that if I stay away from the added sugar stuff, I may be able to keep my sweet tooth at bay. My problem is, I have a "grease tooth", too.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I mostly feel very satisfied with what I'm eating. I also am eating only lean chicken, fish and egg whites for protien. I do limit fruit to three a day but veggies have no limit.

When I think I'm hungry but not sure I'll have a hot tea - wait a few minutes and if I'm still hungry I'll have a small snack.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/170/150

Height: 5'8"

I am satisfied with my plan, except for sometimes late at night when I've already had my "night snack" and end up staying up later than I meant to. It doesn't bother me too much though, because I know once I go to sleep and wake up I'll be hungry in the morning for breakfast, which I like since I often eat breakfast when I am not technically hungry yet (but I know it is important).
I don't feel hunger TOO often, because I schedule my meals a few hours apart and at logical times for me (For example.. Breakfast... Quick snack, then gym time... after gym, lunch.... a few hours later, snack.... a few hours later, dinner... an hour or two later snack/dessert). Sometimes I let my afternoon meals get too spaced out and my stomach starts to grumble. THAT is when I really know I am hungry.
I, too, get a "feeling" to eat, but I try to chew gum or something then, or occupy myself because I know that is not real.
cagesorwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey gailr42,

1. Yes, I'm reasonably satisfied. I'm a calorie counter, and I count everything, and I mean everything, that I eat.

2. I have a meal or snack about every 2-3 hours, and that seems about right to keep me from feeling terribly hungry. I try not to eat less than 2 hours from the last meal or snack. If I go over 3 hours, then if a snack was next I may hold off for the meal, or if I'm too hungry, I'll eat the snack and then wait longer for the meal. I have three meals and two or three snacks in a day, the last snack in the evening.

You can expect that there will be times when you feel hungry when you are on a weight loss program--that's just the territory--but with planning you can keep from hitting that hunger wall.

Keep going!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #5  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

1. Yes. Except sometimes in the morning and I*ll need an extra mandarin or watermelon at around 11. For some reason I don`t have a problem later on in the day. My plan is pretty much like yours, except I really cut down on starches like rice (a tamal is pretty hard to resist, though...)

2. (tmi warning) If I skip a meal I usually try to drink water to hold me over, and I get the burps. Thus, there is very little meal skipping for me.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

1. Yes I feel very satisfied with my plan. I calorie count and try to eat mostly whole foods (whole grains, veggies, fruit.) I don't limit any group of food (except fat), but I do limit my calories.

2. I eat 3 meals and two snacks. I try to wait until I feel hungry to eat, but sometimes I go by the time due to work constraints. In my case, what I used to think was hunger I have come to recognize as thirst. When I'm truly hungry, my stomach feels very empty and does it ever growl! Honestly, until a few months ago, I don't think I'd heard my stomach growl in 10 years. I welcome the feeling. It makes me feel like I'm really listening to my body.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #7  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

1. Yes, extremely satisfied - I count calories, and there is nothing I won't 'allow' myself. I watch fat, sodium and protein, but I focus on calories.

2. When I feel 'hungry' I am almost always either a) thirsty, or b) bored. Reminding myself of this helps a LOT!!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I feel very satisfied. If I get a little hungry, inevitably I'll look up and notice it's 15 minutes til my next meal, or maybe I even inadvertently skipped one. Real hunger always happens right about when I plan to eat next - which is great! That's how it's supposed to be! My problem is with stress and boredom snacking, rather than hunger.

Hunger goes through stages for me. First, I start feeling just a touch light headed and I start noticing food more. Then if I still don't eat, I'll get a little crabby or short tempered. Finally, if I still don't eat I'll get very light headed and/or I'll get a headache. Sometimes if I stand up quickly at this point, I will get a head rush. Like you, I rarely get true stomach GROWLING.
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #9  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
This question has two parts:
1. Do you feel reasonably satified with the food on your plan?
Yes, physically I am very satisfied with my food plan. I eat loads of veggies to make sure I'm not hungry. Occasionally I have "head hunger" when I just want something to eat, but that doesn't happen very often and I have a few low calorie treats that I use to get past those - something salty, something crunchy, something sweet, and something chocolate.

Quote:
2. How do you know if you are "really" hungry?
Most times, I eat according to the clock. If I don't I suddenly get all weak and trembly and feel like I have to eat something immediately. If I get to that stage, I'm much much more likely to grab something that may not be the best choice. I usually eat a morning snack and an afternoon snack. I also have a small snack (or sometimes a dessert) right before bedtime. I have found that on weekends, I'm busy enough that I don't usually take time for snacks. My calorie count is usually higher on weekends though, which I think is because I get so hungry that I overeat at night on weekends. Dried fruit does have lots of natural sugars. Fresh fruit is much more filling for fewer calories.

I drink lots and lots of water. I'm another one who used to confuse thirst and hunger.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for your responses.

So, basically it sounds like all of you eat three meals and two or three snacks a day and drink lots of water. That sounds like good eating habits to me. You wouldn't think it would be hard to follow that routine.

I really believe in calorie counting and I have done it on previous diets. Just like you say - everything - even a lick of of a spoon! The only reason I am not doing it now, is that I just couldn't face it! If I get stalled, I may have to start doing it. I also wrote every bite down. I am really wanting to improve my eating habits, and I am hoping that I can be honest with myself without all the counting and journaling. I might be in denial, but so far I have been loosing steadily, if not speedily. I pretty much know how much equals a serving, so I don't weigh food.

Did I read on here somewhere the suggestion that I drink 64oz of water per day? I drink quite a bit of water, but I'm pretty sure not that much. I have a 34 oz mug that I drink from at work, but I just keep refillng a glass at home.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:00 AM   #11  

S/C/G: Size 26W/Size 24W/Size 8

Height: 5'7 1/2"

1. Same as you. I do eat some processed stuff, but as long as most of the other stuff is good for me, I don't stress. It's all about livability.

2. On workdays I eat on a set schedule regardless of whether or not I'm hungry. On days off I eat when the mood strikes (as long as I meet my WW target, I'm good).
rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 AM   #12  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

What I eat does satisfy me, yes. I mainly count calories, and try to make use of veggies, brown rice, lean meats/fish, all foods that tend to fill me up (no empty calories, or as little as possible if I don't have much choice). I rarely snack, I'm not used to it, and as long as I have my mind and hands busy, head hunger doesn't strike. But does my stomach growl when I'm truly, physically hungry. Oops, did I just make that noise in the middle of a meeting at the office?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:42 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Kery, I always enjoy your posts!

About water--I refill the same glass at home. I try to drink one 8-oz. (not 12-oz.) glass every hour that I'm up. That's plenty. Don't worry about measuring to the ounce. 64 to 80 ounces a day is good.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #14  

I have trouble with hunger. I awoke at 4am and was really hungry. It didn't go away so I got up at 5am. Here's what I wrote on another thread.

I had a rough day IE wise yesterday. I had a good breakfast and a half a banana snack and then we went shopping. My daughter took longer than ususal in one store so that by the time we finished with grocery shopping we were really hungry......about 3:30pm. We always go to McDonald's drive threw........I love hamburgers and it's only once a week.......my one time not to cook. We got happy meals and a cone to split. By the time we finished the cone we were about 5 mi. away and I realized that they had given me nuggets instead of a hamburger. When we got home I just kept searching for something to satisfy my hunger......pretzels, a couple bites of stir fry, a couple oreos.........just couldn't find what I wanted and felt awful. Then I ate a really small dinner and woke at 4am and couldn't go back to sleep because of hunger. I think maybe the prednisone isn't helping again (just recently had to up it again) but I'm trying to get around it. I do a lot of cooking for a lot of people so my one time out a week was kind of disappointing. Hope today is better. It's my youngest daughter's 17th bday and my son is bringing up his boat to take her and the family on the Mississippi.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
Then all of a sudden I am really hungry, desperate to eat, and because I am so hungry, it is hard not to just wolf something down. I try for three meals with a morning and afternoon snack, but sometimes it doesn't work just right.
I am the same way. The worst for me is between breakfast and lunch, usually around 9-10am. I'll be ravinous, my stomach will growl, and I'll feel almost nauseated for need of food. I usually combat this with a piece of fruit, which helps a little bit--at least it gets me to lunch. This is the only time of day this happens to me. Not sure why I eat lots of fiber and protein for breakfast. I wish I could just tell my body to nosh on the fat around my tummy until lunch
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote