Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #1  

Default Help - Am On A Plateau...

Hey all,

Title describes it all, really - I'm stuck at 129lbs, in the sense that I lost about 11lbs in 5 weeks, and now I've been at this weight for nearly a week.

It sounds a little screwed up, but although I have wanted to lose weight for AGES, it took a bit of a personal life crisis 2 months ago to kick me off on it - as in, for the past 6 weeks or so I've just been so stressed I have had trouble eating and keeping down 1000-1200 calories a day. This, and going on some stress-relieving walks has obviously contributed to weightloss.

Well, the main crisis has been resolved now, and I'm keeping the eatin' down to about 1500 calories a day. I walk for 30 minutes most days. I don't forbid myself anything, and try and drink lots of water and get enough sleep etc (hard when you're depressed, but I try!)

Should I just keep on at it and hope that it goes down again, eventually?

Would varying my calories or exercise help?

Should I just stop whingeing given that I'm not exactly large anyway?
but i SO want to see 118lbs..
help
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #2  
Meg

I think your body is telling you to stop losing weight. Right now, your BMI is 20.2 - low normal - and getting awfully close to being underweight (below 18.5). Your goal weight of 118 IS in the unhealthy range and you'd undoubtedly be sacrificing some muscle to get there.

If you're not happy with how your body looks right now, how about focusing on exercise to tone up instead of continued weight loss? You can have an absolutely rocking body at your weight and height with a good exercise program!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #3  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

I agreen with Meg absolutely 150000000%, I feel you may need to re-evaluate your weight loss. Your body is probably telling you (like meg said) that you are at the idea weight for you and that it doesnt want to lose anymore. Doing some toning isn't about building muscle just perfecting what you have now also it will give you strength without anybody catching on if you get what you mean... you'll look super skinny BUT have some hidden strength.
If you are still unhappy about your body (sorry to sound pedantic) but maybe you should try seeing a counsellor? Getting down to 118 at your height is undoubtedly going to start making you sick.... mostly down to your immune system going to pot. Sorry to sound like i'm nagging... i'm just concerned.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

First things first - I wouldn't call 1 week a plateau.

BUT I completely agree with Meg and Seranab. Actually, I seem to recall that you started a similar thread several weeks ago, in which you basically said that intellectually, you KNOW why you're not losing weight, ie. You aren't overweight, so of course your body is doing it's best to stay where it is. I don't think you'll find many people on this site who would encourage you to pursue a lower weight than what you're at. I'm sure you look great by any standard, right where you are.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #5  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

My SIL is 5'5" and she's 120 and the only healthy way for her to "lose weight" would be to do things to help tone her body. She's very skinny and she's 2 inches shorter than you are.

I know that sometimes are body types are very different, but sometimes we need to realize when we're setting unrealistic goals for our bodies...when our bodies are crying out "But I'm already here!! I'm at the weight I should be!!". Take care of yourself. I aggree that maybe some toning classes would benefit you. Yogo and Pilates would REALLY benefit you.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #6  

Maybe they would.

thank you for all responses, as ever!
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote