Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2007, 11:59 AM   #1  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

Default Birthdays...what do you do?

Okay, so my 22nd birthday is this Thursday and I'm still debating what to do. I told my mom that I'd either like to go roller skating or bowling (something that gets you active, but that's toned down from my normal day). Although I still will be doing my time at the gym in the morning.

What do you do when someone makes you a cake? My mom obviously knows I'm dieting as she's doing it as well. We discussed making an angel food cake made with Splenda and blending fat free cool whip and fat free cream cheese for frosting and then grating some bittersweet chocolate on top...then I'd make a strawberry syrup by boiling crushed strawberries and splenda (this is so good). What do you think? She insists on making me a cake and that was my way of conforming.

I can't believe I'm already 22! Makes 30 seem not that far away, but what I'm looking forward to is being soooo much healthier when I'm 30 then I am now. I want to be the healthiest 30 year old alive.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #2  
Fat Chick

S/C/G: 163/147/128

Height: 5'7"

Thursday. As in June 7th? Your birthday's on the same day as mine!

I think making an angel food cake with splenda is a great idea, so you can enjoy it and still not blow your calories. Good for you.

I'm just gonna eat my cake and work out extra hard the next day. hehe.
Nikki_20216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #3  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_20216 View Post
Thursday. As in June 7th? Your birthday's on the same day as mine!

I think making an angel food cake with splenda is a great idea, so you can enjoy it and still not blow your calories. Good for you.

I'm just gonna eat my cake and work out extra hard the next day. hehe.
I love my birthday....I don't meet many people with the same birthday!! How old are ya gonna be?

Hey, whatever works for you! What kind ya gonna have? If I wasn't on a diet it would probably be angel food cake anyways....I'm just making it even better with the splenda. I've never cooked a cake with splenda so hopefully it will turn out good.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #4  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Happy Birthday! That is my DH's birthday too!

I think if you really want to eat cake and you like to eat Splenda, it seems like that is the way to go!

What do I do when someone makes me a cake? I enjoy a bit of the richest, darkest chocolate truffle cake (organic and vegan, naturally) and savor it 100%
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #5  
I DO have a BellyButton!

That sounds awesome SoulBliss. Most of my family and friends are the kind of peole to get very offended (especially my Romanian friends) if I don't partake in something they essentially made for me. However, they do understand now that I'm dieting and that I'm trying to be a healthier me. I just had a friend the other day tell me that I'm inspiring! What an uplifting thing to hear!

One of my favorite vegan desserts I used to make was a Chocolate Turtle Truffle Torte. It had a graham cracker bottom, a carmel pecan layer, a cream cheese layer and then chocolate on top. I used to make that when I went to special parties because a sliver of that was ENOUGH! That thing was so rich but so delish. It's funny that some people don't believe that vegan can be really yummy. Of course....then some people don't believe that vegans can be overweight.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #6  
Finding My Bliss

Well, I am living proof that vegans can be fat! I am the only fat vegan I know, though, truth be told

So, you used to make this wonderful vegan creation...Will you share the recipe with me? It is my DH's birthday and he can handle the calories (he's vegan too). I want to make him as happy as I know your recipe would!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My birthday was recently and I didn't do much. DH and I went out to eat and I ate on plan, no sweets or anything. We went for a walk around a lake afterwards. I enjoyed it quite a bit

It really depends on what you want to do because after all it is your birthday. You shouldn't eat to please other people. If you want cake, then that is one thing but if you don't then you might want to tell your mom that you really don't want cake and maybe you could have a different type of dessert. Perhaps a mix of fresh berries? Or something else that is on your plan?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #8  
I DO have a BellyButton!

I hope it's alright that I post this here.

I was mixing up two recipes...this is what I was talking about, but it doesn't have cream cheese in it. It's still awesome and I ALWAYS got raves about it.

Chocolate Turtle Truffle Torte

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1/2 cup fructose or sugar
1 lb soy margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup pecans toasted
1 lb block semi-sweet vegan chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chips (Tropical Source chips are vegan)
3/4 cup soy milk or almond milk

Directions:

CRUST Pre-heat oven to 350. In a medium bowl mix flour, oats and fructose. Cut 1/2 lb soy marg into small cubes and mix into dry ingredients with a fork until crumbly. Press mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of a springform pan. Bake ot 350 for 15 minutes, cool

CARAMEL In a small saucepan melt 1/4 lb soy marg. Stir in brown vegan sugar, stir constantly until vegan sugar is smooth and melted. Slowly stir in 1/4 cup soy or almond milk. Stir until smooth and shiny. Pour caramel over cooled crust. Sprinkle pecans in an even layer over caramel. Refridgerate for approx 20-25 minutes or until caramel thickens.

TRUFFLE LAYER Bring a medium pot of water to boil, turn down to a simmer. In a stainless steel or glass mixing bowl. Place remaining 1/4 lb soy margerine and chocolate. Place bowl over simmering water and stir chocolate until melted. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup soy or almond milk until smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over caramel crust. Pour in a spiral motion working inwards so as not to disturb the pecans too much. Tap bottom of pan on counter to settle chocolate. Place in fridge to set (approx 2hrs). This is a VERY rich dessert so it can be cut into 16 small pieces.

Serves: 16

Preparation time: 2hrs to set

This has to be refridgerated as the carmel will get a little runny if you don't, but it's sooo good and taste like real carmel.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-03-2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: removed email adress
Old 06-04-2007, 01:33 AM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

Thanks! This will make my DH VERY happy! I may modify it and use a soy cream cheese filling in some way! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #10  
I DO have a BellyButton!

Ya know what might be good is mixing some Hip Whip with some Tofutti cream cheese and spreading that on top...in fact it's making me drool now. lol